Nz (or World?) First Bike Safe Roundabout ;-)

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 17/Apr/09 5:38pm

After grinding my way up Palimino Road today, and getting through the new, wider roundabout a car pulled up beside me with a beautiful young woman in it asking me to pull over.

Her and the guy with her (who was obviously the man who knew his onions) wanted to ask me some questions about the new roundabout.

Its apparently a new form of roundabout the is especially designed to provide more safety for cyclists.
From the way I came it narrows where there is a a ped crossing then it splits in to two lanes which continue all the way around the roundabout.
Apparently if a cyclist is in one lane a driver can go in the other lane unlike before when they shared lanes (wider lanes) the drivers would tend to edge out the rider.

The way its designed is as a max. speed 30kph one too. In the wet that max goes down to 15kph. I asked about boyracers etc trying to go faster but it seems almost impossible(I'm willing to give it a go :p ).
They said they couldn't even get past me(keeping to the left) when I was coming through it at about 25kph.

It seemed all very good in theory and good on them (as I said to them) as a council for attempting something that may help cyclists to be safer.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Re: Nz (or World?) First Bike Safe Roundabout ;-)

Postby WH on Fri 17/Apr/09 6:05pm

Sounds good. Any chance of some photos so we can see what it looks like?
WH
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Tama on Fri 17/Apr/09 6:09pm

WH wrote:Sounds good. Any chance of some photos so we can see what it looks like?

My thoughts exact - I'm wondering if he's talking about this roundabout?
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 17/Apr/09 6:58pm

Tama wrote:
WH wrote:Sounds good. Any chance of some photos so we can see what it looks like?

My thoughts exact - I'm wondering if he's talking about this roundabout?

:) This is the one but that is an older photo as it's now bigger and the two lanes continue round it.
There is even a sign saying that trucks are to take up both lanes...'cause they'd never stay in one lane = less squished cars hopefully.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Auckland | Auckland Region | Cycle Commuting | Cycling | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Upper North Island - Latest Posts