Re: Work Stand Shopping

Postby Wobbler on Wed 31/Dec/14 3:30pm

great uncle bulgaria wrote:whaddaya think we should conclude from that?[/quote
Anything that farty says can be disregarded
but this is not a new conclusion[quotee][quotote]
Wobbler
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Re: Work Stand Shopping

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Wed 31/Dec/14 5:00pm

beater32 wrote:Can get a Park PCS9 for $125 from crc, might be the go. I don't think I can justify going over the 2 hundy mark.

IMO (I have a severe case of time on hands today) save your sheckels a bit longer.

As i said before, my stand was a game changer. I went from not really enjoying working on my bike, to actively helping out may friends and sorting out stuff for aquaintances. Previously, even with my jury rigged set ups it was still a pain in the arse.

Recently i built up a new bike from parts (except wheel building and a couple of specialist things that i don't have the tools for)

It remains my most important tool. I take it to races, take it to other peoples houses, take it to fix up workshops, take it to bed :paranoid:

Ease of use depends on multiple features.
1 easy of clamping- a cam type set up or a ratcheted clamp>> than any sort of wind up clamp - the heavy bike being held there while you trying to wind up can be a bit of a pain in the arse
2 ability to rotate the clamp
3 stability: 3 feet >>2 feet (for portables)
4 ability to attach a tool tray
5 collapsiblity
6 durability
7 other stuff that i've forgotten

Considering you may have it for 10 -20years, I would save a bit longer and get at least a PC10, but ideally spend a bit more even and get a really good one.

good luck
great uncle bulgaria
User avatar
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 7 years 1 month

Re: Work Stand Shopping

Postby Rik on Wed 31/Dec/14 6:03pm

I'm a light user of my stand so opted for a PCS9. I bought it about a year ago. and have not looked back. Bike stands, any stands make a massive difference IMHO to the joy of working on a bike.

Agreed options 1,2 are sub-optimal on the PCS9, but it gets the job done.
Rik
User avatar
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Re: Work Stand Shopping

Postby glenkoorey on Thu 1/Jan/15 12:27pm

The keen amongst you could make your own (or get Steven to make one for you): http://cyclingchristchurch.co.nz/2014/1 ... workstand/
glenkoorey
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Re: Work Stand Shopping

Postby jacks0n0 on Sun 4/Jan/15 11:41am

Perhaps I'm a goldfish, but I've never really got a repair stand to agree with me. I've used plenty of different kinds, including very good permanent fixtures in bike shops. They've been good for reaming, chasing, and facing (perhaps that's how they improve your sex life!), but I'm always worried that the clamp will break the bike if I turn the spanner too hard when I'm changing a bottom bracket, and it is a pain in the arse trying to hold up a fork and get all the headset parts aligned while in a stand. And, I've recently had a bad experience with a bike shop mechanic folding the top tube of a brand new custom frame by clamping it in the repair stand and applying torque, which has justified all my pre-existing concerns (I didn't have the appropriate sized reaming tool, so I had to hand the frame over to some imbecile with a repair stand).

On the other hand, those of us in the repair-stand-denial camp are definitely in the minority, so they must work for most people.
jacks0n0
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Re: Work Stand Shopping

Postby Wobbler on Sun 4/Jan/15 12:00pm

I rest the top tube on open jaws if I'm just checking gears etc. Any serious wailing and its clamped via the seatpost.
Wobbler
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Re: Work Stand Shopping

Postby shmoodiver on Sun 4/Jan/15 12:40pm

pushbikerider wrote:
beater32 wrote:This looks ok ? Well the price does.. :)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nz/e ... -prod10226


This isn't much dearer, should be more stable, has a nicer to use clamp assembly, and a full range of parts are avialble in NZ to support them*

http://www.burkescycles.co.nz/products/ ... -workstand






*Disclaimer I work for the NZ agent for feedback sports


This ^ I have had the pro version of this stand for well over 5 years and have used it commercially for a while too... would most certainly buy again.
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Re: Work Stand Shopping

Postby shmoodiver on Sun 4/Jan/15 1:02pm

jacks0n0 wrote: And, I've recently had a bad experience with a bike shop mechanic folding the top tube of a brand new custom frame by clamping it in the repair stand and applying torque, which has justified all my pre-existing concerns


This is not the fault of the workstand
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Re: Work Stand Shopping

Postby happybaboon on Sun 4/Jan/15 1:09pm

jacks0n0 wrote: (I didn't have the appropriate sized reaming tool, so I had to hand the frame over to some imbecile with a repair stand).

One hopes that you used your entire reaming tool collection on that asshat :blink:
happybaboon
User avatar
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Re: Work Stand Shopping

Postby SlackBoy on Sun 4/Jan/15 1:49pm

jacks0n0 wrote:Perhaps I'm a goldfish, but I've never really got a repair stand to agree with me. I've used plenty of different kinds, including very good permanent fixtures in bike shops. They've been good for reaming, chasing, and facing (perhaps that's how they improve your sex life!), but I'm always worried that the clamp will break the bike if I turn the spanner too hard when I'm changing a bottom bracket, and it is a pain in the arse trying to hold up a fork and get all the headset parts aligned while in a stand. And, I've recently had a bad experience with a bike shop mechanic folding the top tube of a brand new custom frame by clamping it in the repair stand and applying torque, which has justified all my pre-existing concerns (I didn't have the appropriate sized reaming tool, so I had to hand the frame over to some imbecile with a repair stand).

On the other hand, those of us in the repair-stand-denial camp are definitely in the minority, so they must work for most people.
Your custom frames aren't normally the same as other peoples custom frames tho no?
SlackBoy
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Re: Work Stand Shopping

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Sun 4/Jan/15 4:10pm

I'm a bit interested that misuse of a stand is a reason to not want to use the properly. Each to their own I guess.
great uncle bulgaria
User avatar
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 7 years 1 month

Re: Work Stand Shopping

Postby jacks0n0 on Tue 6/Jan/15 8:37pm

SlackBoy wrote:Your custom frames aren't normally the same as other peoples custom frames tho no?


It was a home built frame, and a tandem, but that doesn't change the clamping technique. Fortunately, it did mean that I could repair it

great uncle bulgaria wrote:I'm a bit interested that misuse of a stand is a reason to not want to use the properly. Each to their own I guess.

shmoodiver wrote:This is not the fault of the workstand


While you are correct that the problem was user error, I think that if you provide an opportunity for someone to do something foolish, then sooner or later someone will do it. I am also aware that I am not the only person with access to my shed.
jacks0n0
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Work Stands | Workshop - Latest Posts

Who is online

39 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot], Kev and 36 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles