Re: Work Stand Shopping

Postby philstar on Wed 31/Dec/14 12:39am

great uncle bulgaria wrote:
Along with good lighting.

:withstupid:

good lighting (if you don't already have it) will make more difference than a flasher stand.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 31/Dec/14 12:54am

great uncle bulgaria wrote:spend money
get a decent stand
have a better life, more money, better health and more sex

guaranteed

Wobbler wrote:hanging off the rafters or doing it on the floor like a bloody savage

I have a good stand, and enjoy the rafter-hanging, floor sweating sex which has ensued.

mudguard wrote:I have the PCS9 as well. Wish I'd got the PCS10 instead. The clamp is a pain in the arse, holding the bike in the air while you spin the clamp tight. But once it's in it works like a stand...

PCS10 is good, sex life confirms this.

el_booto wrote:I have a park PRS-4w (shop grade with a wall mount)

spend more now on something that will last :thumbsup:

Yeah, OK, perhaps I don't quite have Booty-O's sex life, get yourself a proper shop stand and it will service you and pull pints at the same time...
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby wolffman1 on Wed 31/Dec/14 8:14am

Two bits of rope hung from the garage rafters. A loop for the nose of the saddle to hang in. A straight length with a caribiner at the end and a couple of loops tied in it to hold the front end at different heights.
It's been enough to tune gears, strip and build up bikes, cleaning and other normal tasks.
It's a little shakey for changing out bottom brackets but has met my needs so far.
I Hadn't realised that bike stands seem to be equivalent to magic nasal spray though. I'll get me to the shops straight away
wolffman1
"Maaangooo"
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby beater32 on Wed 31/Dec/14 8:34am

This looks ok ? Well the price does.. :)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nz/e ... -prod10226
beater32
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Wed 31/Dec/14 8:35am

wolffman1 wrote:Two bits of rope hung from the garage rafters. A loop for the nose of the saddle to hang in. A straight length with a caribiner at the end and a couple of loops tied in it to hold the front end at different heights.
It's been enough to tune gears, strip and build up bikes, cleaning and other normal tasks.
It's a little shakey for changing out bottom brackets but has met my needs so far.
I Hadn't realised that bike stands seem to be equivalent to magic nasal spray though. I'll get me to the shops straight away

You da man :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby pushbikerider on Wed 31/Dec/14 9:41am

beater32 wrote:This looks ok ? Well the price does.. :)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nz/e ... -prod10226

This isn't much dearer, should be more stable, has a nicer to use clamp assembly, and a full range of parts are avialble in NZ to support them*

http://www.burkescycles.co.nz/products/ ... -workstand

*Disclaimer I work for the NZ agent for feedback sports
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Oli on Wed 31/Dec/14 11:00am

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:
wolffman1 wrote:Two bits of rope hung from the garage rafters. A loop for the nose of the saddle to hang in. A straight length with a caribiner at the end and a couple of loops tied in it to hold the front end at different heights.

There's nothing at all wrong with this method (whatever it takes) but it's not some sort of swaggering badge of honour to do things the ghetto way, or better in some way to go cheap rather than invest in decent equipment - if people would rather use a stand good on them, if not that's totally fine too.

I liken it to any decent tool philosophy, which should be always use the best tools for the job and that you can afford. Despite your perverse desire to do absolutely everything as cheap as possible, a stand is demonstrably more stable than swinging ropes or working on the floor so that makes a stand the better tool in the end if one can stretch to buying one.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby dwgknz on Wed 31/Dec/14 11:48am

philstar wrote:
great uncle bulgaria wrote:
Along with good lighting.

:withstupid:

good lighting (if you don't already have it) will make more difference than a flasher stand.

Also a bench or similar close for tools and a dish for bits you pull off. No matter how good the stand is it won't matter if you drop or can't find something at the right (wrong) moment it'll still be frustrating.
dwgknz

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Wed 31/Dec/14 1:11pm

Oli wrote:
FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:

There's nothing at all wrong with this method (whatever it takes) but it's not some sort of swaggering badge of honour to do things the ghetto way, or better in some way to go cheap rather than invest in decent equipment - if people would rather use a stand good on them, if not that's totally fine too.

I liken it to any decent tool philosophy, which should be always use the best tools for the job and that you can afford. Despite your perverse desire to do absolutely everything as cheap as possible, a stand is demonstrably more stable than swinging ropes or working on the floor so that makes a stand the better tool in the end if one can stretch to buying one.

Fair enough.
I like seeing people use their creativity to get the job done :thumbsup:
For most here who’ve only got a few bikes there doesn’t seem to be much point imho to buying a full quiver of tools and a quality stand for an occasional job that can be done on the floor.

Now I’m back at my trade I have very good quality tools but that doesn’t mean buying them from the places that have the ‘best’ (apparently) when something that comes at a quarter the price from the Far East is as good.

I don’t have a “perverse desire to do absolutely everything as cheap as possible” and spend the $ on my bikes and tools for my bikes where I feel that is worthwhile. I have a reasonable range of bike tools but I’m certainly not going to buy things like BB spanners which are now so specific when I would rather pay my local bike mechanic to change one for me :)
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby Oli on Wed 31/Dec/14 2:18pm

Fair enough in return, and apologies for over-stating your economical ethos. I would point out though that the OP was asking after an actual stand rather than a hanging/leaning method.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby phunk on Wed 31/Dec/14 2:29pm

I have an ancient cast iron stand rescued from my fathers shop before it closed. This is of course no help when shopping for a new one.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby beater32 on Wed 31/Dec/14 3:02pm

Can get a Park PCS9 for $125 from crc, might be the go. I don't think I can justify going over the 2 hundy mark.
beater32

Postby beater32 on Wed 31/Dec/14 3:04pm

Anyone have a stand for sale ?!
beater32

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Wed 31/Dec/14 3:22pm

It is interesting that people can have an opinion on the utility of something they aint used though
FWIW I think the (?large) majority of people who now have stands will have, at some stage, been through the jury rigged options of hanging from car racks, roofs, rafters and any number of home made repair stands (mine was a saw horse with a QR cunningly drilled through and bottom bracket support bolted on). they have then gone to a rack of varying quality and cost and seem to almost universally rate them as very helpful.
whaddaya think we should conclude from that?
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Wed 31/Dec/14 3:28pm

phunk wrote:I have an ancient cast iron stand rescued from my fathers shop before it closed. This is of course no help when shopping for a new one.

:lol:
thankyou fo sharing
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Work Stands | Workshop - Latest Posts