2%
I have no idea
19%
Don't care
19%

Total voters : 43

Re: Wof Corruption

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 22/Sep/10 6:04pm

I dont generally have issues with vehicles failing WOFs, but the price of servicing. Last month I had both the Bentley and the Porsche serviced, but it felt like me that had had the servicing, and not in a good way.

Still, I'm putting their kids through expensive schools, or paying the rent on their mistresses flats or something.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 22/Sep/10 6:06pm

nostromo wrote:
Spyder wrote:Ah, the good old days. Where you would cruise around the various garages until someone would give you the wof. I'd always heard that the John's Rd garage was a bit of a soft touch, but didn't bother when the sign at the entrance said "filling ball joints with grease does not constitute a repair" :blush:

Ah yep, the 'bad old days' you could keep going back to the same garage for rechecks until they got sick of you and just signed it off. I remember our local mechanic pointing at the skip full of exhaust bits on visit X back with our Mk2 cortina, we got a beaten exhaust out, hammered it into the extractors as far as it would go, tied it to the live rear axle (hanging underneath) with wire and smiled enthusiastically, the mechanic rolled his eyes and put the WOF on. Ten minutes later the whole lot jettisoned on the Porirua motorway, but hey job done :)

awesome! :)
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"

Postby jeyboi on Wed 22/Sep/10 6:20pm

danose wrote:
jeyboi wrote:A WOF checks the vehicle is roadworthy - failing for a torn CV boot would be like failing for dirty engine oil.

actually VTNZ has long had a practice of failing cars for torn CV boots - the argument is that it can let grease spatter onto the brake rotors which is a safety issue.

I can't speak for VTNZ cos I've never worked for them - and if they fail a vehicle it's their prerogative, however sometimes their calls can be a bit shonky. They do have people by the short & curlies once they make that call (unless you take your vehicle to a proper garage for another WOF check, but they can see why VTNZ failed you when they authorise the WOF online... so doesn't always work!).

I haven't worked in the automotive industry for several years now, so perhaps some of the WOF check guidelines have changed. I'd always note down torn CV boots in the "FYI" section below the reasons for rejection.
jeyboi
Member for: 7 years 10 months

Postby Nick_K on Wed 22/Sep/10 7:35pm

bubbaa wrote:
Wobbler wrote:I use vtnz and I am pleased with the service, I suspect joe bumfuck mechanic would demand various things are fixed

:withstupid:
never had a problem

At least you know someone's not trying to rip you off.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby Slim on Wed 22/Sep/10 7:37pm

Nick_K wrote:
bubbaa wrote:
Wobbler wrote:I use vtnz and I am pleased with the service, I suspect joe bumfuck mechanic would demand various things are fixed

never had a problem

It's a car, someone is always trying to rip you off.
Slim
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby pushbikerider on Wed 22/Sep/10 7:40pm

Slim wrote:

pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby Nick_K on Wed 22/Sep/10 7:40pm

Slim wrote:
Nick_K wrote:
bubbaa wrote:

never had a problem

What's in it for VTNZ to fail you unnecessarily?
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"

Postby Slim on Wed 22/Sep/10 7:50pm

They are like woman, you have no idea how they are ripping you off but you know they are..........
Slim
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Nick_K on Wed 22/Sep/10 7:53pm

Slim wrote:They are like woman, you have no idea how they are ripping you off but you know they are..........

:(
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"

Postby jeyboi on Wed 22/Sep/10 8:31pm

Nick_K wrote:
Slim wrote:They are like woman, you have no idea how they are ripping you off but you know they are..........

:(

Rubbish. With caramel slice as good as Mrs K's there's no way you could ever be ripped off :thumbsup:
jeyboi
Member for: 7 years 10 months

Postby thorg on Thu 23/Sep/10 7:47am

Nick_K wrote:
Slim wrote:
Nick_K wrote:
bubbaa wrote:

never had a problem

When they fail you, and pass on a card for a business that can fix it. bet there are no back handers going on. :hmmm:
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby ThingOne on Thu 23/Sep/10 7:51am

thorg wrote:
Nick_K wrote:
Slim wrote:
Nick_K wrote:
bubbaa wrote:

never had a problem

When they fail you, and pass on a card for a business that can fix it. bet there are no back handrers going on. :hmmm:

I dont think theres anything financially in it for them, but I suspect the types of people who become "inspectors" of any kind, house, car etc are usually kinda anal and enjoy their power positions and ability to "fail" stuff.
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby Spokes on Thu 23/Sep/10 8:29am

ThingOne wrote:
thorg wrote:
Nick_K wrote:
Slim wrote:
Nick_K wrote:
bubbaa wrote:

never had a problem

When they fail you, and pass on a card for a business that can fix it. bet there are no back handrers going on. :hmmm:

I dont think theres anything financially in it for them, but I suspect the types of people who become "inspectors" of any kind, house, car etc are usually kinda anal and enjoy their power positions and ability to "fail" stuff.

Probably free tyres and servicing on their cars...
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby cooper770 on Sat 25/Sep/10 5:43pm

znomit wrote:Gotta say the Palmy VTNZ on Tremaine ave is great. :thumbsup:

you think? I don't got there as they keep failing her indoors car for unbalanced brakes front to rear. Machine says 70%/30% spilt, they say fail. Factory specs say 70/30 split.....yet they still keep arguing even when you take the factory specs manual in and show them it written on black and white

Maybe I need to get the 80's version in colour?

oh and my car failed for no modification cert, and its as it was the day the factory built it, her car is modified up the wazoo and they have never even asked to see the cert plate.....same guy, 2 days apart......guess things are different back in sth africa or Zimbabwe or which ever African nation he came from.
cooper770
"Enjoy the sandpit Kids, some of us have left Kindy."
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby pushbikerider on Sat 25/Sep/10 6:03pm

I found that if you want a fair warrant in Palmy, go and see Eden at Proform mechanical on David St, not a dodgy warrant shop by any means, but fair, and knows his way round modified cars as well as family cars
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Cars | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts