2%
I have no idea
19%
Don't care
19%

Total voters : 43

Re: Wof Corruption

Postby bugle on Wed 22/Sep/10 12:14pm

I think you will find any reputable WOF provider will fail split/cracked CV boots
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby pushbikerider on Wed 22/Sep/10 12:16pm

bugle wrote:I think you will find any reputable WOF provider will fail split/cracked CV boots

I have a suspicion that if you look up the Inspection Manual for WOF's that a CV boot is NOT a WOF item
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby bugle on Wed 22/Sep/10 12:23pm

That's an 'in my experience' statement as the subie has a hearty appetite for that particular item
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"

Postby herbman on Wed 22/Sep/10 12:24pm

pushbikerider wrote:
bugle wrote:I think you will find any reputable WOF provider will fail split/cracked CV boots

I have a suspicion that if you look up the Inspection Manual for WOF's that a CV boot is NOT a WOF item

but the rubber covers on your foot pedals are, fail once as the rubber cover had fallen off the brake pedal.
herbman
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby bugle on Wed 22/Sep/10 12:49pm

Yup been there too, bloody rubber bits!
bugle

Postby danose on Wed 22/Sep/10 1:09pm

pushbikerider wrote:

except they also have the discretionary power to fail you on anything deemed 'unsafe' - not just the items explicitly listed
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Wed 22/Sep/10 1:22pm

danose wrote:
jeyboi wrote:A WOF checks the vehicle is roadworthy - failing for a torn CV boot would be like failing for dirty engine oil.

actually VTNZ has long had a practice of failing cars for torn CV boots - the argument is that it can let grease spatter onto the brake rotors which is a safety issue.

Also a stone could get into the hole and jam the CV (unlikely as it seems).
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby danose on Wed 22/Sep/10 1:30pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:
danose wrote:
jeyboi wrote:A WOF checks the vehicle is roadworthy - failing for a torn CV boot would be like failing for dirty engine oil.

actually VTNZ has long had a practice of failing cars for torn CV boots - the argument is that it can let grease spatter onto the brake rotors which is a safety issue.

same could happen in a driveshaft universal on a rwd - and they don't have boots! :satan:
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby slidecontrol on Wed 22/Sep/10 1:44pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:
danose wrote:

the cv will jam very nicely all by itself once the grease has left for other places
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby Crucial on Wed 22/Sep/10 2:09pm

I think it always comes down to the particular grease monkey you get and how competent (or not) they are. One slight advantage with VTNZ is that even though you sometimes get an idiot, if they are being too silly the manager is usually open to talk to about it as he is judged on return business.

I took two cars in one day and had different mechanics look at them. Both required a slight headlight adjustment and while one was done by the guy on the spot (a 10 second job) the other was failed. I took this to the manager who agreed that while they aren't obliged to fix things it was poor service and virtually begged me to not judge them harshly on it. He also ensured that I didn't wait too long for a recheck after I pulled out a screwdriver and turned the adjuster a couple of turns.

The main reason I go to VTNZ is that I trade off the pedancy with the knowledge that they don't try and generate work for themselves. Once at a private WOF issuer I had the mech tell me I had a leaky Brake Fluid reservoir and it would all need replacing (of course he could do the job at a price). When I challenged him on it as I knew I had spilt some fluid the week before and that was what the mark was he refused to give me a WOF and threatened to put it on the computer so that no one else could either. i called his bluff and went elsewhere.
Crucial
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby Spyder on Wed 22/Sep/10 3:08pm

Ah, the good old days. Where you would cruise around the various garages until someone would give you the wof. I'd always heard that the John's Rd garage was a bit of a soft touch, but didn't bother when the sign at the entrance said "filling ball joints with grease does not constitute a repair" :blush:
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby neels on Wed 22/Sep/10 3:13pm

Spyder wrote:Ah, the good old days. Where you would cruise around the various garages until someone would give you the wof. I'd always heard that the John's Rd garage was a bit of a soft touch, but didn't bother when the sign at the entrance said "filling ball joints with grease does not constitute a repair" :blush:

Unless you knew the guy that owned the place ;)

They actually had a whole wall of that stuff, including a note that said unless you had an excuse that wasn't already there don't bother trying it.
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby pissface on Wed 22/Sep/10 3:22pm

naw, take the ball joint off, (using a pencil to mark it for getting the alignment right again) bash the shit out of it with a hammer till its really stiff, put it back on
pissface
"Boneshaker"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby pushbikerider on Wed 22/Sep/10 3:35pm

Crucial wrote:I One slight advantage with VTNZ is that even though you sometimes get an idiot, if they are being too silly the manager is usually open to talk to about it as he is judged on return business.

Rotorua Branch is the exception to this, was failed a warrant on a steering arm rack boot (warrant fail item) which when I pulled it out, was perfect (it was the CV boot that had a split, which is a non warrant fail item) When I spoke to the branch manager he wasn't interested in the situation at all, and was more or less,well it happens get over it, we eventually issued your warrant didn't we?
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby nostromo on Wed 22/Sep/10 4:00pm

Spyder wrote:Ah, the good old days. Where you would cruise around the various garages until someone would give you the wof. I'd always heard that the John's Rd garage was a bit of a soft touch, but didn't bother when the sign at the entrance said "filling ball joints with grease does not constitute a repair" :blush:

Ah yep, the 'bad old days' you could keep going back to the same garage for rechecks until they got sick of you and just signed it off. I remember our local mechanic pointing at the skip full of exhaust bits on visit X back with our Mk2 cortina, we got a beaten exhaust out, hammered it into the extractors as far as it would go, tied it to the live rear axle (hanging underneath) with wire and smiled enthusiastically, the mechanic rolled his eyes and put the WOF on. Ten minutes later the whole lot jettisoned on the Porirua motorway, but hey job done :)
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Cars | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts