2%
I have no idea
19%
Don't care
19%

Total voters : 43

Re: Wof Corruption

Postby cruiser on Tue 21/Sep/10 11:08pm

My old apprentice got pink stickered for chopped out suspension on his ute (typical airbag/ lowered no cert etc). He couldn't afford the $1000 to fix it. Went to a VTNZ for an arranged WOF $300. $75 split between 4 guys. True story.

I personally don't like them, they're convenient, but not generally intelligent tradesmen.
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby slimdog on Tue 21/Sep/10 11:24pm

Cool thanks for the info guys. I won't go to VTNZ.

Does any one have any recommendations for a mechanic in Welly?
slimdog
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby nostromo on Tue 21/Sep/10 11:53pm

VTNZ are fine. They seem to do a pretty thorough check whenever I've been there, even if sometimes it is pedantic. After all the object of the exercise is verifying the car is safe, not passing an arbitrary test.
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Oli on Wed 22/Sep/10 12:00am

I agree with that, I'm just pissed off they didn't fail the Nissan earlier! :angry:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby happybaboon on Wed 22/Sep/10 12:17am

I use VINZ. They've generally done good and have given accurate feedback (ie, "your brake pads will need seeing too before the next WOF, but they OK for now" which was true)... Although last time they completely missed the torn up to shit CV boot, which they prolly should have spotted. But, ehh.

Think it depends far more on the skill and personality of the individual doing the assessment than on the place they're working at!
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby bubbaa on Wed 22/Sep/10 12:21am

I agree with that, I'm just pissed off they didn't fail the Nissan earlier! :angry:

what? and take that babe magnet :love: off the road.
i've been wondering if i should trade up to a prairi from our honda odessey as I was feeling inadequate in my pulling power. but to how to get mrs bubbaa to agree to such an outrageous love wagon was always going to be difficult. I decided to set up the straw man and went for the toyota estima - she said - "there's no way i'd be seen dead in one of those" so i think she's fallen for it . . .
Last edited by bubbaa on Wed 22/Sep/10 1:21am, edited 1 time in total.
bubbaa
"bite me"
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Postby its that guy on Wed 22/Sep/10 1:14am

slimdog wrote:Cool thanks for the info guys. I won't go to VTNZ.

Nelson st motors in Petone.
its that guy
"Lurkin"
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby jeyboi on Wed 22/Sep/10 6:47am

happybaboon wrote:I use VINZ. They've generally done good and have given accurate feedback (ie, "your brake pads will need seeing too before the next WOF, but they OK for now" which was true)... Although last time they completely missed the torn up to shit CV boot, which they prolly should have spotted. But, ehh.

A WOF checks the vehicle is roadworthy - failing for a torn CV boot would be like failing for dirty engine oil.

Generally, if it's not a safety issue, it's not a WOF issue (there are a couple of exceptions).

Threads like this make me glad I'm no longer a mechanic, that's for sure.
jeyboi
Member for: 7 years 10 months

Postby nzmja on Wed 22/Sep/10 8:11am

happybaboon wrote:I use VINZ. They've generally done good and have given accurate feedback (ie, "your brake pads will need seeing too before the next WOF, but they OK for now" which was true)... Although last time they completely missed the torn up to shit CV boot, which they prolly should have spotted. But, ehh.

The classic one is "Your tires are borderline, you should have these replaced before your next WOF".
nzmja
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby neels on Wed 22/Sep/10 8:59am

I used to go to VTNZ until they started failing my vehicles on stupid nit picky things,then I completely lost interest when they couldn't be bothered doing a trailer wof 20 minutes before closing when they were all sitting around drinking coffee.

Now I take the family's vehicles to the mechanics around the corner from work, last time i took my 4wd there he told me when I picked it up that he'd tightened some bolts on the suspension, greased the steering joints and adjusted one front wheel bearing, still just paid the usual wof fee. :thumbsup:
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby bugle on Wed 22/Sep/10 9:08am

Depends what you drive, my subie always goes to McLenan Performance.
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby pissface on Wed 22/Sep/10 9:10am

jeyboi wrote:

A WOF checks the vehicle is roadworthy - failing for a torn CV boot would be like failing for dirty engine oil.

which is strange as VTNZ have failed me on CV boot in the past, on the reasoning that the boot keeps in the grease (or something along those lines)
pissface
"Boneshaker"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby slimdog on Wed 22/Sep/10 9:13am

bugle wrote:

2000 Mitsubishi L300
slimdog
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby thorg on Wed 22/Sep/10 9:45am

slimdog wrote:
bugle wrote:

2000 Mitsubishi L300

http://www.wises.co.nz/p/murray-langrid ... ited/ypm2/ if you are out the valley.
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby danose on Wed 22/Sep/10 10:00am

jeyboi wrote:A WOF checks the vehicle is roadworthy - failing for a torn CV boot would be like failing for dirty engine oil.

actually VTNZ has long had a practice of failing cars for torn CV boots - the argument is that it can let grease spatter onto the brake rotors which is a safety issue.
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Cars | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts