Winter Series @ Pukete???

Postby seaston4 on Mon 28/Feb/11 5:59pm

So the summer series is coming to an end, is there anyone organising a Winter Series/night rides at the Pukete track?

Or somewhere in Hamilton?
seaston4
User avatar
"When are we going to Rotorua next?"
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Re: Winter Series @ Pukete???

Postby RussS on Mon 28/Feb/11 7:16pm

Don't think anyone has given it a thought. Was talking with Datsane yesterday and suggested that we get together for a beer or 5 and sort the night series.
RussS
User avatar
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Re: Winter Series @ Pukete???

Postby slidecontrol on Mon 28/Feb/11 8:30pm

that won't work, Datsane is a non beer drinking girly type. perhaps yo could offer him a chardonnay instead?
slidecontrol
User avatar
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Re: Winter Series @ Pukete???

Postby RussS on Mon 28/Feb/11 10:22pm

:D
RussS
User avatar
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Re: Winter Series @ Pukete???

Postby xc_cruiser on Tue 1/Mar/11 9:42am

Now that the Pukete Spag is out of the way for another year its a good time to start thinking about a Winter Series of some sort. I have had a few thoughts but will talk to the club committee at the next meeting on the 7th March.
xc_cruiser
User avatar
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Re: Winter Series @ Pukete???

Postby struggling on Tue 1/Mar/11 7:35pm

i for one have totally enjoyed the format of the summer racing, not many care about 1st,2nd,3rd rockstars but the more interesting racing for points down the grades, best in years in my opinon, just a shame that the turn out isnt what it has been in the past, maybe a winter series will get them back?
struggling
Member for: 7 years 10 months

Re: Winter Series @ Pukete???

Postby xc_cruiser on Tue 1/Mar/11 8:43pm

struggling wrote: just a shame that the turn out isnt what it has been in the past, maybe a winter series will get them back?

Yes the committee will be focusing a lot of their time over the winter months trying to encourage current, past and new members of all ages to come along and participate. If anyone has any great ideas that maybe help then we would love to hear them.
xc_cruiser
User avatar
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Re: Winter Series @ Pukete???

Postby struggling on Tue 1/Mar/11 9:25pm

I for one are a family man and find it hard on a wednesday nite to come along and enjoy the club and get home to try and spend time with the kids, somethings the start times on a wednesday have been getting alittle late, it used to be 6 sharp, also if you are a beginner or a kiddie the track can be a tad to hard for you and you end up not enjoying something that is meant to and should be fun for the whole family, its the family groups or the dads with the kids that arent showing up..and they are the type of people that keep clubs alive, just my view......
struggling
Member for: 7 years 10 months

Re: Winter Series @ Pukete???

Postby RussS on Tue 1/Mar/11 10:01pm

A few good points there Struggling.

The family thing is what the club has always been about, but occasionally blending the wants and needs of all the various groups means that we sometimes cock it up slightly - depending of course on which perspective you are coming from. Having had many years where we had a 10-12 round fun series and then a 1-off championship round I do like the current format as it encourages continued participation and not just turning up at the last round for a practice and then the championship evening.
Had a couple people talk with me at the Pukete Spaghetti and they had similar comments about the track difficulty/length. Having helped with a Sport Waikato introduction day recently where we used a cut down version of the track we had similar comments that novice riders found certain areas rather daunting. I am certain that the committee will be noting down all suggestions and coming up with a suitable format for the next summer season.

As an aside - race time for almost 10 years was always 6.30.
RussS
User avatar
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Re: Winter Series @ Pukete???

Postby struggling on Wed 2/Mar/11 6:33am

yes russ track difficulty/lenght and daunting as whole just about hits the nail clean on the head and would just about some up how new/beginner riders would see it. just hope that the committee do note it down but dont lose that peice of paper. hahahaha, wouldnt want just 2 of on the start line next summer. :D
struggling
Member for: 7 years 10 months

Re: Winter Series @ Pukete???

Postby Focker on Wed 2/Mar/11 3:33pm

RussS wrote:A few good points there Struggling.

The family thing is what the club has always been about, but occasionally blending the wants and needs of all the various groups means that we sometimes cock it up slightly - depending of course on which perspective you are coming from. Having had many years where we had a 10-12 round fun series and then a 1-off championship round I do like the current format as it encourages continued participation and not just turning up at the last round for a practice and then the championship evening.
Had a couple people talk with me at the Pukete Spaghetti and they had similar comments about the track difficulty/length. Having helped with a Sport Waikato introduction day recently where we used a cut down version of the track we had similar comments that novice riders found certain areas rather daunting. I am certain that the committee will be noting down all suggestions and coming up with a suitable format for the next summer season.



As an aside - race time for almost 10 years was always 6.30.


Well said Russ :thumbsup:



And as a side note, well done on the track layout change for Pukete Spaghetti (Cookie said it was your idea but I'm sure he had something to do with it as well) as I think it was a more enjoyable "fun" course than we have had before (which could be my fault :blush: ) and as such catered better for the lesser abilities (although the more able and experianced riders were the one's crashing and breaking things).

Also congrats on Sunday's result Russ - you have come a long way big fella - top 10 in the solo (7th to be precise) and some faster lap times than that wiley ole fast guy Mr Buysmen - good work and hope you are recovering well for Karapoti this weekend eh ;)
Focker
User avatar
"Watching you watching me..."
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Re: Winter Series @ Pukete???

Postby RussS on Wed 2/Mar/11 5:46pm

Well, Cookie did ask me to find a way of removing the 2 grotty climbs. I have to say that the route we ended up with was not my first layout - after riding down on the quad I thought a bit of a chicane might be a good idea as I figured bikes would be hitting the hard left for the bridge a wee too hot and I did not want to be held responsible if we happend to have a shower or two on the day :crazy:
I don't think you can blame yourself for previous courses - I think Cookie and I came up with the original 10K loop using the finger and I am the guilty one for the wooden steps out on the park ;)


Cheers for the wraps dude. I think not wanting to let Craigus get away from me helped lower the times in the middle segment and at the start I was following a very nice butt attached to our pet mountaingoat :cool:
RussS
User avatar
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Re: Winter Series @ Pukete???

Postby stalkedtoast on Wed 2/Mar/11 7:29pm

This years spaghetti course was a good one (thumbs up), just enough to keep you challenged and keep the interest there
stalkedtoast
User avatar
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Re: Winter Series @ Pukete???

Postby pisten on Thu 3/Mar/11 6:33pm

struggling wrote:I for one are a family man and find it hard on a wednesday nite to come along and enjoy the club and get home to try and spend time with the kids, somethings the start times on a wednesday have been getting alittle late, it used to be 6 sharp, also if you are a beginner or a kiddie the track can be a tad to hard for you and you end up not enjoying something that is meant to and should be fun for the whole family, its the family groups or the dads with the kids that arent showing up..and they are the type of people that keep clubs alive, just my view......


thankyou for your imput, we are listening to what the people are saying and the more you say the better the outcome will be. unfortunately we cant do much about the start times as we also work and struggle to get there on time ourselves. cheers.
pisten
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Re: Winter Series @ Pukete???

Postby seaston4 on Sat 5/Mar/11 8:39am

I enjoyed the Moonshine series last year, but could have had more people. I thought the course could have been marked out a bit better, maybe with some cool reflective arrows just for the night course.

I'm keen to help make some signs/arrows, if it means people aren't going to be wondering where the course is every night.
seaston4
User avatar
"When are we going to Rotorua next?"
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Clubs | Cycling | Hamilton | Hamilton MTB Club | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Night Riding | Regions | Singlespeed | Upper North Island | WAMO MTB Club | Waikato - Latest Posts

Who is online

60 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 58 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Torpedo7