Winter Leg Warmers.

Postby Dougal on Tue 2/May/17 7:21pm

I need some winter leg warmers. Good for riding at or below freezing.

I've got some Krank leggings at present. They're the right sort of thing with soft-shell fleece fronts and lycra behind the knees etc. But the fit is wrong and Krank imploded shortly after I bought them so I couldn't exchange. Leg warmers will get around the fit issues but there are so many it's mind-boggling. Especially as some are for riding in 20-30 degrees. :blink:

Anyone got some recommendations? Gotta be warm but don't need to be waterproof. Fit is tall/skinny. Reflective bits are good.
Dougal
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Re: Winter Leg Warmers.

Postby dwgknz on Tue 2/May/17 7:37pm

When faced with 3 options I'd go fluro paint spatter:

dwgknz
Member for: 5 years 3 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 3/May/17 7:48am

That image is all the answer this question requires.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Dougal on Wed 3/May/17 9:07am

dwgknz wrote:When faced with 3 options I'd go fluro paint spatter:

Not wind-proof though. Does tick all the other boxes.
Dougal

Postby Conners on Wed 3/May/17 9:43am

I've got a pair of GE daddy long legs (I think).
Fleece fronts from the knee down over full length Lycra. Not technically windproof, but nice and warm. Reflectors on the backs.
I've had them for years and years, get worn very infrequently as I'm soft and I melt in the cold or wet - but when I have needed them they have been awesome. I've even worn them under jeans when going to cold outdoor events - they're the business.

Not sure if you want full pants or just individual legs though?
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby Dougal on Mon 3/Jul/17 7:26pm

After going around in circles trying to sort the "keep muscles at optimum temp while riding in 25C" leg warmers from "it's cold and I'm trying to keep the icy wind out" I gave up.

I bought some gore-tex cycling pants instead.
Dougal

Postby wolffman1 on Mon 3/Jul/17 10:17pm

I hate leg warmers with a passion. Too loose, too tight, bunching, drooping, I think I've ticked all the boxes. (Except any of the splatter photos)
I've now got a set of campy bib tights that are superb.
No chamois, so they can Be worn repeatedly without risk of crotchrot and warm and toasty fleece lined. Admittedly not too good if it warms up mid ride, but I've found them really good.
wolffman1
"Maaangooo"
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 4/Jul/17 7:13pm

I've got some NZO ones from a few years back, just in lycra type material. They're great for CHCH winters, and if it's getting a bit too cool I chuck on my GE 3/4 rain pants. Coupled with good socks....
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Tue 4/Jul/17 7:54pm

dwgknz wrote:When faced with 3 options I'd go fluro paint spatter:

As I recall....most young women had figures like that in the 80s ;)
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby Dougal on Thursday 2:39pm

Conners wrote:I've got a pair of GE daddy long legs (I think).
Fleece fronts from the knee down over full length Lycra. Not technically windproof, but nice and warm. Reflectors on the backs.
I've had them for years and years, get worn very infrequently as I'm soft and I melt in the cold or wet - but when I have needed them they have been awesome. I've even worn them under jeans when going to cold outdoor events - they're the business.

Not sure if you want full pants or just individual legs though?

I bought some Ground Effect Daddy Long Legs too: https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/collecti ... ing-tights

So far soo good and ridden them in just above freezing. Bought large for length and they fit well. Didn't realise how badly the Krank ones fit until now.
Dougal

Postby dwgknz on Saturday 1:18pm

I use under armour compression pants between baggies and liner when it’s cold. They’re pretty much wind proof and a little fleecy inside so nice and snug. Don’t have calf zips so once they’re on I keep them on all ride. I’ve worn them under jeans at about -10 when working outside (in Canada) and been comfortable.

I got them in a 50% off sale at Rebel so about 1 quarter of the price of the GE ones.
dwgknz
Member for: 5 years 3 months

Cycling - Latest Posts