Re: Will I Be Lynched And Dissowned If I Buy An Ellsworth?

Postby Monolith on Wed 18/Nov/09 7:53pm

shmoodiver wrote:
Monolith wrote:Out of interest, what's the appeal of an Ellsworth?

good quality frame that rides nice for a reasonable price.

I'm sure they're very well built. I suppose the other points are relative.

Each to their own though. :)
Monolith
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby shmoodiver on Wed 18/Nov/09 8:08pm

Monolith wrote:
shmoodiver wrote:
Monolith wrote:Out of interest, what's the appeal of an Ellsworth?

good quality frame that rides nice for a reasonable price.

I'm sure they're very well built. I suppose the other points are relative.

Each to their own though. :)

it's cheaper than my other options, i've never ridden one on a trail tho, the closest i've been is a shitty old specialized horst link but I.C.T. is supposed to be quite different innit?
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby Colin on Wed 18/Nov/09 8:34pm

I didn't notice much difference btween FSR (couple of bikes, several years) and I.C.T (3 days, jungle epics)
Colin
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby shmoodiver on Wed 18/Nov/09 8:52pm

Colin wrote:I didn't notice much difference btween FSR (couple of bikes, several years) and I.C.T (3 days, jungle epics)

chur
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby Trail on Wed 18/Nov/09 9:15pm

Rode an Ellsworth Id for a couple of weeks, apart from the very tall BB and relatively steep head angle it rode ok. Rode rather like a horst link bike does...

Now own a 5 Spot. Like the angles and the BB height and having bushes in the pivot points with grease zerks (4 years of lots of riding and still on the original bushes). Suspension action is probably identical, and works fine for a Horst link.

For what it is worth I rode a Heckler a couple of times about then too and it rode great. I liked the Heckler more than the Id, mostly because of the geometry. I like my 5 Spot more than the Heckler tho.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Monolith on Wed 18/Nov/09 9:22pm

The main issue with owning an ellsworth is having jamieinauckland as your best mate.
Monolith

Postby dented on Wed 18/Nov/09 9:33pm

Monolith wrote:The main issue with owning an ellsworth is having jamieinauckland as your best mate.

Hey thats not so bad, its not like he wants opinions on if he bought a mojo SL
dented
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Monolith

Postby j2hyde on Wed 18/Nov/09 11:45pm

The heckler is the pick of the options listed, and IMHO whilst they may be overpriced you have to spend a lot more to get a better frame. They ride really nicely. Make sure you get an anodised one.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 19/Nov/09 6:53am

j2hyde wrote:The heckler is the pick of the options listed, and IMHO whilst they may be overpriced you have to spend a lot more to get a better frame. They ride really nicely. Make sure you get an anodised one.

chickenbitch has a powdercoated green one in stock that he's gonna give me for a good price. the hecklar is the bike i want it's just the nz importer of ellsworth offered me a moment for silly dollars. so it is still a very good option for me, just longer travel from a shorter shock so it won't be as plush for a fattie like me.
shmoodiver

Postby Harley on Thu 19/Nov/09 11:16am

Get the Heckler - I've owned and ridden one for 3 years now. Owned a bunch of other bikes before that, and have test ridden/borrowed bikes too. Mint geometry, tough (but not heavy), and super versatile - you can build the frame up to how you like it. Mine's been a trail rig, XC machine (admittedly with fat/slow rider), and currently AM/FR build. I've never had a problem - have replaced bearings/pivot once in that 3 years. There's a reason SC has been making them forever. Just make sure you test ride one before ordering as the tt is relatively short. Oh, and who doesn't want a bottle opener on their frame?!
Harley
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 19/Nov/09 6:56pm

Harley wrote:Get the Heckler - I've owned and ridden one for 3 years now. Owned a bunch of other bikes before that, and have test ridden/borrowed bikes too. Mint geometry, tough (but not heavy), and super versatile - you can build the frame up to how you like it. Mine's been a trail rig, XC machine (admittedly with fat/slow rider), and currently AM/FR build. I've never had a problem - have replaced bearings/pivot once in that 3 years. There's a reason SC has been making them forever. Just make sure you test ride one before ordering as the tt is relatively short. Oh, and who doesn't want a bottle opener on their frame?!

cheers for the info, it's very much leaning that way atm.
shmoodiver

Postby Mr_Bob on Thu 19/Nov/09 7:09pm

1x vote for Heckler over Ellsworth :thumbsup:
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 19/Nov/09 7:16pm

opinions on a meta 5.5?
shmoodiver

Postby Adrenalinejunkie on Thu 19/Nov/09 7:18pm

Not reach around material :paranoid:
Adrenalinejunkie
"Bikes are like chicks. You can ride any of them well, but some are just more likely to impress your friends."
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Post Your Bike | Sifting | Technology - Latest Posts