Re: Wide Bars And Short Stems - Speak To Me

Postby aklbob on Fri 22/Sep/17 11:22am

Wobbler wrote:
Conners wrote:I know this is in jest, but it is interesting that I haven't grown at all in the last 10 years - and I'm pretty sure my bike hasn't changed either. So it does fit - but the interesting bit that I have noticed is that 10 years ago people erred on the small side if they were between sizes, whereas a lot of the reviews I read these days seem to push towards going a size bigger if you're borderline.

Because seat tube length:reach proportions have changed massively, previously a long front end on a frame meant huge seat tube length so upsizing had implications around being able to put the seat low and all sorts. I went from a medium to large reign but could only accommodate a 100mm droper because my legs are not long enough (this is before the did the big geo rejig on them) but I was faster and more comfortable on the bike everywhere with the longer front even tho I went for a slightly shorter stem at the same time. If I look at a modern Giant Reign, a medium now has a longer front end with a shorter seat tube so I could run full height droppers etc. I think its just been a general realization that the seat tube to top tube length ratios that were common were not ideal.

Agreed ! I have discovered that the new geometry slacker HA 29ers turns plenty fast IF you have the appropriate short stem to match. I found I will fit a L size Giant Fathom XC bike (69 degree head angle) with my normal reach with a 90mm stem, or go to a XL and run a a 60-70mm stem (I'm 188cm tall 34.5" inseam, borderline L/XL), the stability change was great, and the front centre is longer, and could go for a more optimal length stem/handlebar combo, get your balance centered on the bike. Literally the only difference for me between the sizes was 20mm of extra bike in front of me.

ImageGiant Fathom by aklbobl, on Flickr
aklbob
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sun 10/Dec/17 1:56pm

As I am very slow on the uptake, I just recently realised that with a 67.5°HA, a 10mm change in stem height will give a 5mm change in reach.
Up=shorter, down=longer.
A slacker HA (like mine) will increase this ratio slightly, but my math is too weak, and care too low to figure it out further.

So... If you have steerer length to play with, and wish your frame was longer or shorter (looking at Conners here) give it a nudge.
I slammed my stem after my last ride had me wanting more reach.
20mm lower, so a bees dick more than 10mm longer, can't wait to see how it goes.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby AgrAde on Mon 11/Dec/17 12:16pm

Yeah, kinda. Worth a try.

Sizing has a lot to do with the distance from your bb to bar measurement. You might get a longer reach but you're lowering your stack and decreasing the "size" of your bike. Both my DH bike and trail bike have a bb-to-grip measurement (centreline of bike, not taking into account bar width) of ~840mm, and that's what feels immediately comfortable to me. The bikes feel identically sized despite having very different reach measurements.

You're also increasing the reach while keeping your front-centre the same. If your problem is actually a lack of front-centre length then lowering your bar will just make your problem worse.
AgrAde
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 11/Dec/17 12:31pm

Good perspective.
Before the change both bikes had the same stack height - with the stem already slammed on the HT.
I've not tried measuring the BB - bar centre, but the HT is a fair bit shorter anyway.

I don't really have a problem with the Spittys handling, just looking for little optimisations / free "upgrades". Playing around with the different length and height dropouts was a winner, so I'm going to fiddle with the other end to see what it tells me.
Clearly I'm not a set-and-forget guy.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sat 16/Dec/17 12:53pm

It's a promising change.
Had to tilt the saddle and roll the bar a little to get the feels right, but the front tyre feels less inclined to wash out - forcing me to get my shoulders over the front more.

Like it so far... Not tried any steeps yet though.
Velocipedestrian

Postby AgrAde on Mon 18/Dec/17 7:12am

Nice.
AgrAde
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Controls + Cockpit | Cycling | Handlebars | MTB Handlebars - Latest Posts