Re: Wide Bars And Short Stems - Speak To Me

Postby Conners on Thu 4/May/17 8:58pm

Good point. I guess that the industry conversion (back to being right) is finally complete now that we have 29er DH bikes :p
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Wobbler on Thu 4/May/17 10:04pm

Conners wrote:I know this is in jest, but it is interesting that I haven't grown at all in the last 10 years - and I'm pretty sure my bike hasn't changed either. So it does fit - but the interesting bit that I have noticed is that 10 years ago people erred on the small side if they were between sizes, whereas a lot of the reviews I read these days seem to push towards going a size bigger if you're borderline.

Because seat tube length:reach proportions have changed massively, previously a long front end on a frame meant huge seat tube length so upsizing had implications around being able to put the seat low and all sorts. I went from a medium to large reign but could only accommodate a 100mm droper because my legs are not long enough (this is before the did the big geo rejig on them) but I was faster and more comfortable on the bike everywhere with the longer front even tho I went for a slightly shorter stem at the same time. If I look at a modern reign a medium now has a longer front end with a shorter seat tube so I could run full height droppers etc. I think its just been a general realization that the seat tube to top tube length ratios that were common were not ideal.
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 5/May/17 7:34am

As usual, Chris Porter has been on this for ages. I liked his whole human / half human idea back in 2014.
Tl:dr
Half human = pedals to saddle
Whole human = pedals to grips
Bikes should grow in reach at twice the rate they grow in height as you go through the sizes.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 5/May/17 8:46am

Wodblar is into it. I'd be running 65/70 ish and probs around 720 to find a nice balance. Too shaortvand you'll get cramped up
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 5/May/17 12:59pm

I can see why you'd call a 65-70 stem with that short reach, but why 'only' 720 bars?
He's a reasonably tall dude, do you have some magic balance where 760+ / 65 is whack?
Velocipedestrian

Postby Conners on Fri 5/May/17 1:57pm

shmoodiver wrote:Wodblar is into it. I'd be running 65/70 ish and probs around 720 to find a nice balance. Too shaortvand you'll get cramped up

I've had a 70mm stem and 730mm bars dropped on my desk this morning (thanks oldandlazy :) ) which looks like a really good place to start.

Velocipedestrian wrote:I can see why you'd call a 65-70 stem with that short reach, but why 'only' 720 bars?
He's a reasonably tall dude, do you have some magic balance where 760+ / 65 is whack?

I'd need to be on the bike to check, but I'd almost think that a longer bar with shortish reach setup might end up in a bar vs knee clash (I'm not ambidextrous, so I always have my right foot forward - so a right hand turn may get a long bar close to my knee? I can't quite picture it at the moment though....)
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 5/May/17 3:22pm

Conners wrote:
shmoodiver wrote:Wodblar is into it. I'd be running 65/70 ish and probs around 720 to find a nice balance. Too shaortvand you'll get cramped up

I've had a 70mm stem and 730mm bars dropped on my desk this morning (thanks oldandlazy :) ) which looks like a really good place to start.

Velocipedestrian wrote:I can see why you'd call a 65-70 stem with that short reach, but why 'only' 720 bars?

I'd need to be on the bike to check, but I'd almost think that a longer bar with shortish reach setup might end up in a bar vs knee clash (I'm not ambidextrous, so I always have my right foot forward - so a right hand turn may get a long bar close to my knee? I can't quite picture it at the moment though....)

Yup, knee/bar action is a threat, but it's more a product of stem length.
Unless your bars currently fit between your peddling knees?

Keep trying shorter stems till contact, then +10mm and buy some kneepads. (there's a reason endurobros wear them)
Velocipedestrian

Postby Wobbler on Fri 5/May/17 7:23pm

Its too much of a jump at once

old mate get on ur boots has ridden the same setup for yonks and I dont reckon going all the way to full noise 760+ is sensible
Wobbler

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 5/May/17 9:25pm

All at once, sure. But no reason to stop if he likes it bigger.
Velocipedestrian

Postby Wobbler on Fri 5/May/17 9:31pm

Yes which is exactly what I've been saying :eh:
. I'd chuck some 720+ bars on and a 65ish stem and work from that. I reckon going 640 bars to 760 or similar is going to feel 2spoopy doing it all at once.

also are people seriously hitting their knees on bars when peddling?

your bikes are fucking miles too short in the top tube
Wobbler

Postby Conners on Fri 5/May/17 9:45pm

Wobbler wrote:old mate get on ur boots

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wobbler wrote:also are people seriously hitting their knees on bars when peddling?

your bikes are fucking miles too short in the top tube

No - absolutely not. I was just musing on what might be an issue if this was pushed too the extreme (in terms of a stupid short stem + long bar + short TT combo.

Will hopefully get a chance to get out on the 70 + 730 setup this weekend. Will be sure to report back.
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 5/May/17 11:18pm

Wobbler wrote:are people seriously hitting their knees on bars when peddling?

Been known to happen when standing cranking SS style, hence the collection of stems.
Velocipedestrian

Postby Wobbler on Sat 6/May/17 6:03pm

I did some runs on my dh bike today thats probably 50mm longer in the front than any other bike I've ridden and I finally understand what people say when they talk about being able to move your weight forward and back on a bike, it always felt constrained to not being able to move it back and forth and it just felt like height adjustment was the only option. Time to buy a long front trail bike.
Wobbler

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sat 6/May/17 6:49pm

Good discovery, surprising it happened on a DH bike.

Pinch ArsePav's spitty.
Velocipedestrian

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sat 6/May/17 8:24pm

Lol it's a small.
He'd need a large mebbe
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Controls + Cockpit | Cycling | Handlebars | MTB Handlebars - Latest Posts