What in your opinion is the main reason for the rise in violent crime?

"Generation naughty-corner" is growing into adulthood
22%
Growing inequality in society
9%
The increased availability of alcohol
2%
Videogames and other violent media
5%
The decline of religious instruction in morality
14%
P
7%
Our broken justice system going soft on criminals
17%
It isn't rising, reported crime is
19%
Other (please explain)
5%

Total voters : 58

Re: Why Is Violent Crime On The Rise?

Postby pissface on Wed 7/Apr/10 5:12pm

bloody hell where do you all get this "most crims think X" nonsense?

are you all in contact with crims?

this is about as informed as an online discussion on social welfare benefits
pissface
"Boneshaker"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby Oli on Wed 7/Apr/10 5:23pm

:D
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby bubbaa on Wed 7/Apr/10 5:58pm

pissface wrote:bloody hell where do you all get this "most crims think X" nonsense?

are you all in contact with crims?

this is about as informed as an online discussion on social welfare benefits

from the samll amount of work i've done in prisons it is clear to me that the places are full of innocent geniuses (?genia"sp) who were "set-up" :D
bubbaa
"bite me"
Member for: 7 years 7 months

Postby j2hyde on Wed 7/Apr/10 8:23pm

The feminisation of society has a lot to answer for. Young men no longer have socially acceptable outlets for their natural male physicality or competitive nature. It's no wonder that this gender identity crises has precipitated a rise in violent crime.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby mudguard on Thu 8/Apr/10 8:30am

I blame the internet
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby thorg on Thu 8/Apr/10 8:35am

mudguard wrote:I blame the internet
It is clearly Canada's fault.
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby philstar on Thu 8/Apr/10 9:30am

j2hyde wrote:The feminisation of society has a lot to answer for. Young men no longer have socially acceptable outlets for their natural male physicality or competitive nature. It's no wonder that this gender identity crises has precipitated a rise in violent crime.

:D
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Thu 8/Apr/10 9:33am

j2hyde wrote:The feminisation of society has a lot to answer for. Young men no longer have socially acceptable outlets for their natural male physicality or competitive nature. It's no wonder that this gender identity crises has precipitated a rise in violent crime.

:popcorn:
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby cruiser on Thu 8/Apr/10 9:35am

I'd hardly say society is feminised...there are plenty of socially acceptable outlets for competition and aggression from so-called testosterone build up.

Drugs, esp. Methamphetamine and alcohol are hugely associated with violence, but you can't blame the substance. Gotta understand why they take the substance in the first place....sense of identity, purpose and belonging can be huge factors in a person's life. These individuals may feel like they don't fit the stereotypical mold - outcasts, different, no-good. In come the 'lean-ons' (addictions, emotional barriers like aggression, hostility, withdrawl to protect from the nasty outside world.

We get these from our experiences of family and mentors (significant others or peers). Peers have a huge influence on how a person behaves. These peers will be the sum of their own personal upbringing and experiences of family mentors and peers.

So ultimately it comes down to acceptance of yourself and the world around you. It all starts with how you see yourself, and that's influenced (even though it shouldn't be) by how you feel perceived by others.
If we all followed the golden rule "treat others as you would want to be treated" especially if you're in a position of Power. i.e parents, friends, etc. We'd have no need for violence. Simple. If no-one is going to hurt you, you wont need to hurt anyone else for protection.

There you go....world fixxored :blink:

Problem is everyone feels they're right and everyone else is wrong...I'm blame religion and the urge to be powerful for that one....hey that's a masculine trait?!?!
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby nostromo on Thu 8/Apr/10 10:11am

So they're not allowed to play sports, do DH racing, do combat sports like boxing, Karate etc?
I didn't get the memo.
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Thu 8/Apr/10 10:13am

cruiser wrote: Gotta understand why they take the substance in the first place....sense of identity, purpose and belonging can be huge factors in a person's life. These individuals may feel like they don't fit the stereotypical mold - outcasts, different, no-good. In come the 'lean-ons' (addictions, emotional barriers like aggression, hostility, withdrawl to protect from the nasty outside world.

We get these from our experiences of family and mentors (significant others or peers). Peers have a huge influence on how a person behaves. These peers will be the sum of their own personal upbringing and experiences of family mentors and peers.

So ultimately it comes down to acceptance of yourself and the world around you. It all starts with how you see yourself, and that's influenced (even though it shouldn't be) by how you feel perceived by others.

At least that's what the prevailing dogmas of social science would have you belive. :rolleyes:
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby cruiser on Thu 8/Apr/10 10:18am

Tru dat...and in 50 years it'll all be like freud's work...helpful in seeing how we aren't moreso than how we are.
But I get my teachings from highly evolved extra-terrestrials who watch us from their inter-dimensional spacecraft. They must be right.
cruiser

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Thu 8/Apr/10 12:02pm

nostromo wrote:

So they're not allowed to play sports, do DH racing, do combat sports like boxing, Karate etc?
I didn't get the memo.

probably you were out oppressing minorities and women and waving your penis about. I know I have been. while I still can
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby happybaboon on Thu 8/Apr/10 1:18pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:probably you were out oppressing minorities and women and waving your penis about. I know I have been. while I still can

Whats going to stop you? You sick or something? :(
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby cruiser on Thu 8/Apr/10 2:33pm

happybaboon wrote:
Henry Dorset Case wrote:probably you were out oppressing minorities and women and waving your penis about. I know I have been. while I still can

Whats going to stop you? You sick or something? :(

He told me it's because he's running out of virgins to 'slay'. The 'previously-(p)owned' women laugh.
cruiser

National Politics | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts