Communism failed because...

...it was never properly implemented.
42%
...it's a totally flawed system.
58%

Total voters : 36

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Fri 2/Jun/06 2:29pm

MikeD wrote: Any sort of philosophy/model of history which posits some sort of steady-state 'end' to history, government, economics, and human development is pure folly, period.

MD

Exactly, communism failed because it was based on a theory of human nature/history that was not only wrong, but pseudoscientific for the historicist reasons that MikeD suggests. As it happens the consciousness of the people does not change once you alter their material situation, so to have communism work you must inevitably step in with a not so hidden hand, and the hand is usually weilding a sword. :)
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby JK2 on Fri 2/Jun/06 2:30pm

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:
MikeD wrote: Any sort of philosophy/model of history which posits some sort of steady-state 'end' to history, government, economics, and human development is pure folly, period.

MD

Exactly, communism failed because it was based on a theory of human nature/history that was not only wrong, but pseudoscientific for the historicist reasons that MikeD suggests. As it happens the consciousness of the people does not change once you alter their material situation, so to have communism work you must inevitably step in with a not so hidden hand, and the hand is usually weilding a sword. :)
that is what i said. not enough killing.
JK2
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Fri 2/Jun/06 2:33pm

JK2 wrote:
that is what i said. not enough killing.

Yes. There never is enough killing.
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby MikeD on Fri 2/Jun/06 2:33pm

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:

MD

Ha! I knew I was smart. Mom told me so. Unlike all those mean people in the white coats.

Now I can bask in the warm glow of E Dogg.

Anyone else think that Marx wasn't just pseudoscientific, but basically aesthetic at heart? He just made up a great story that he really, really wanted to believe and tried to make it reality...
MikeD
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby JK2 on Fri 2/Jun/06 2:42pm

MikeD wrote:
E Dogg Capizzle wrote:

MD

Ha! I knew I was smart. Mom told me so. Unlike all those mean people in the white coats.

Anyone else think that Marx wasn't just pseudoscientific, but basically aesthetic at heart? He just made up a great story that he really, really wanted to believe and tried to make it reality...
aesthetic or atheistic?
JK2

Postby MikeD on Fri 2/Jun/06 2:43pm

Well, both, but I was referring to aesthetics...
MikeD

Postby JK2 on Fri 2/Jun/06 2:48pm

i think the main reason he came up with communism is cos he was sht with his money. he spent most of his life bludging off mates, especially Engels. He basically just wanted someone to take that responsibility away from him and concocted an elaborate rationale for it.
JK2

Postby MikeD on Fri 2/Jun/06 2:57pm

JK2 wrote: i think the main reason he came up with communism is cos he was sht with his money. he spent most of his life bludging off mates, especially Engels. He basically just wanted someone to take that responsibility away from him and concocted an elaborate rationale for it.

Well, there was that...and the chicks. That's why I'd have done it.
MikeD

Postby CaptainCaveman on Fri 2/Jun/06 2:59pm

MikeD wrote:
E Dogg Capizzle wrote:

MD

He should have called his theory 'Catholocism'. Same basic fairy tale 'n all :thumbsup:
CaptainCaveman
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Slim on Fri 2/Jun/06 3:00pm

MikeD wrote:
Slim wrote: It was the internet :)

Are you saying the Internet Killed the Marxism Star?

no I am saying the internet is why communism failed :thumbsup:
Slim
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby MikeD on Fri 2/Jun/06 3:02pm

Slim wrote:
MikeD wrote:
Slim wrote: It was the internet :)

Are you saying the Internet Killed the Marxism Star?

no I am saying the internet is why communism failed :thumbsup:

Exactly.

MikeD

Postby Panserborne on Fri 2/Jun/06 9:37pm

Read something, somewhere about having a Universal Basic Income, basically eliminating poverty. The income would be not quite enough to live on, so people would have to still work, and the better the job, the better the pay, so people have motivation to strive and aim for better work (one of the problems with communism). Of course now people will strike me down because it's "their money and they earned it, it's poor people's fault they're poor, stupid poor people..." Fuck I hate Capitalists.
Panserborne
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Oli on Fri 2/Jun/06 9:47pm

Good on you, Panserborne! It's good to be an idealist, and there's nowt wrong with caring about the people less fortunate than yourself.:thumbsup:

Although a modicum of capitalism might still be required to fund the UBI... ;)
Last edited by Oli on Fri 2/Jun/06 10:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby Panserborne on Fri 2/Jun/06 10:01pm

Thankyou. Well, I'd say anything ( well not ANYTHING) would be better than our present situation.
Panserborne
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby porschenut on Fri 2/Jun/06 10:04pm

democracy sux. In fact, we don't even have a "real" democracy. In a "real" democracy, choosing beaurocrats and magistrates must be done by lot.... :crazy:
porschenut
Member for: 12 years 6 months

International Politics | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts