...it's a totally flawed system.
58%

Total voters : 36

Postby headwound on Wed 7/Jun/06 12:00pm

hurrr hurrr commie pinko
headwound
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby thorg on Thu 8/Jun/06 7:38pm

Panserborne wrote: Helping the poor may be pointless to you, but why shouldn't starvation be prevented?

I cannot accept that a single person here would consider that a person should buy a jet when a life could be saved or considerably helped. Sure, all of us are selfish, but I hope you can at least accept that a country SHOULD be trying to help the poor for a better society, rather than just buying assesories. Otherwise, I think there is something wrong with your head.

i never suggested helping the poor was pointless, you were the one making such moral judgements about others chosen course of action, so dont drag me down to your level, I dont play there :sly:

As for your second statement, I will grant it credence when you have sold all you belongings you dont need and given the money to the poor. By this I mean, your car, bike, furniture, any savings etc etc etc must ALL be sold to help the poor. Because, why should you have needless things when people are starving? You dont need them, so why do you have them? And if you are allowed them, a 'rich' person is allowed their jet. Once you live the example you would impose on others, come back and tell us all about it.

We all agree the poor should be helped, but your method does not help them. And the jet you think the rich should not buy, well, it was used to take critically ill children on overseas holidays for free as part of the win a wish foundation, but that wont happen anymore, because you think its needless. Instead the 'rich' person sold it gave the money to the poor, who quickly spent it all on sky TV and buy P .
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby MikeD on Thu 8/Jun/06 9:38pm

thorg wrote:
Panserborne wrote: Helping the poor may be pointless to you, but why shouldn't starvation be prevented?

I cannot accept that a single person here would consider that a person should buy a jet when a life could be saved or considerably helped. Sure, all of us are selfish, but I hope you can at least accept that a country SHOULD be trying to help the poor for a better society, rather than just buying assesories. Otherwise, I think there is something wrong with your head.

i never suggested helping the poor was pointless, you were the one making such moral judgements about others chosen course of action, so dont drag me down to your level, I dont play there :sly:

As for your second statement, I will grant it credence when you have sold all you belongings you dont need and given the money to the poor. By this I mean, your car, bike, furniture, any savings etc etc etc must ALL be sold to help the poor. Because, why should you have needless things when people are starving? You dont need them, so why do you have them? And if you are allowed them, a 'rich' person is allowed their jet. Once you live the example you would impose on others, come back and tell us all about it.

We all agree the poor should be helped, but your method does not help them. And the jet you think the rich should not buy, well, it was used to take critically ill children on overseas holidays for free as part of the win a wish foundation, but that wont happen anymore, because you think its needless. Instead the 'rich' person sold it gave the money to the poor, who quickly spent it all on sky TV and buy P .

You're such a richass.
MikeD
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby CaptainCaveman on Fri 9/Jun/06 8:23am

MikeD wrote:
thorg wrote:

You're such a richass.

...or sheltered mumma's boy suckling on daddy's financial breast, even :p
CaptainCaveman
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby j2hyde on Sat 10/Jun/06 9:03pm

So lets assume you impose a UBI and increase taxes on the rich to pay for it. What happens if they do not want to pay? What happens to the people who disagree with you?

I guess you could always force them to change their minds. Or maybe kill them?
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Fraser on Mon 12/Jun/06 6:18am

Or you pay accountants to set you up an offshore account that uses you as a contractor back home.
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby skippy10 on Mon 12/Jun/06 11:35am

16 pages!!, bloody hell I'm not gonna read all that just to see if somebody else already said this :cry:

Communisim does/can work in a small society like a commune (Gasp!!), because everyone naturally keeps an eye on everyone else.

"from each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs"

when your society gets big enough that some individuals have to take charge of the centralised distribution of stuff that people need, then you get corruption.
skippy10
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Mon 12/Jun/06 11:47am

skippy10 wrote:Communisim does/can work in a small society like a commune (Gasp!!), because everyone naturally keeps an eye on everyone else.

There's nothing like suspicion of one's fellow man to generate communal feeling! :eh:

The question of whether or not you could make communism work is a bit like whether or not you could make a mountain of shit a mile high; sure you could, by why would you want to?
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby MikeD on Mon 12/Jun/06 11:50am

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:
The question of whether or not you could make communism work is a bit like whether or not you could make a mountain of shit a mile high

Ah, you have witnessed me eating curry, haven't you, Comrade?
MikeD

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Mon 12/Jun/06 12:04pm

:D

After the revolution I'm going into business with a ski lift up the side of shit mountain!
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby MikeD on Mon 12/Jun/06 12:07pm

E Dogg Capizzle wrote: :D

After the revolution I'm going into business with a ski lift up the side of shit mountain!

Must...resist...temptation to make joke about a German remake of Brokeback Mountain...
MikeD

Postby Friendly Llama on Tue 13/Jun/06 11:45am

CaptainCaveman wrote:
MikeD wrote:
thorg wrote:

You're such a richass.

...or sheltered mumma's boy suckling on daddy's financial breast, even :p

:lol: Funniest posts ever (having met Thorg)
Friendly Llama
Member for: 14 years 2 months

phunk
Member for: 13 years 7 months

International Politics | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts