Total voters : 36

Postby Slim on Fri 2/Jun/06 12:02pm

I blame the internet!!

Pesky people on internet forums telling everyone how good the outside world is
Slim
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby headwound on Fri 2/Jun/06 12:03pm

Kyle wrote:
CaptainCaveman wrote: I think the basic principles of communism are just plain at odds with human nature. People are not born equal, so why pretend otherwise?

Human nature is to survive long enough to procreate. Everything else is just cock blocking the guy next to us to improve our own chances.

true if you're unable to overcome your primal instincts.

if you can overcome those instincts you could gain the ability to manipulate time and space thereby earning the +42 bow of inequity

... and a free turn
headwound
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby bugle on Fri 2/Jun/06 12:03pm

Sims wrote: What about looking at a "village structure" where eveyone works together for mutal benefit?

I'm sure its been tried...
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby phunk on Fri 2/Jun/06 12:04pm

Tama wrote:Oh dear, I would have never started this thread if I'd realized that :D

Meh, I enjoy being baited just as much as the next guy :lol:
phunk
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby CaptainCaveman on Fri 2/Jun/06 12:04pm

phunk wrote:

Fuck I hate communism, and would gladly take up arms to prevent a "revolution" - in my opinion it is the most morally reprehensible system ever.

Errr... so how do you feel about totalitarianism? :crazy:
CaptainCaveman
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby JK2 on Fri 2/Jun/06 12:05pm

it failed because not enough people were either killed or reeducated. There's an argument that some of the key drivers of capitalism such as our desire to increase our wealth and amass material good are just the result of societal pressures. This is based on the argument that there have been communisitc societies that have exisited over time and have manged just fine and greed hasn't taken over and destroyed them.

That leaves you with the difficulty of managing the transition and requires a concerted effort to change peoples' ways of thinking. unfortunately sacrifes need to be made and wrong thinking people have to be killed. Communist regimes failed by not following this through effectively. Stalin only managed about 30 mil and Mao 50 mi. These were clearly half arsed attempts. If they were followed through we could be living in a communist utopia and all be riding the same type of state produced bike.
Last edited by JK2 on Fri 2/Jun/06 12:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
JK2
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby radical_edward on Fri 2/Jun/06 12:05pm

Sims wrote: What about looking at a "village structure" where eveyone works together for mutal benefit?

Norway, which has a slightly higher population than NZ is organized around a village scale. Their largest city has the same population as Wellington.
radical_edward
"Fast-casual."

Postby CaptainCaveman on Fri 2/Jun/06 12:05pm

headwound wrote:
Kyle wrote:
CaptainCaveman wrote: I think the basic principles of communism are just plain at odds with human nature. People are not born equal, so why pretend otherwise?

Human nature is to survive long enough to procreate. Everything else is just cock blocking the guy next to us to improve our own chances.

if you can overcome those instincts you could gain the ability to manipulate time and space thereby earning the +42 bow of inequity

... and a free turn

:D Roll for damage, roll for damage....
CaptainCaveman

Postby Tama on Fri 2/Jun/06 12:06pm

Kyle wrote:Human nature is to survive long enough to procreate. Everything else is just cock blocking the guy next to us to improve our own chances.

Best sociology-thesis-in-two-sentences ever :thumbsup:
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby CaptainCaveman on Fri 2/Jun/06 12:07pm

radical_edward wrote:

Norway, which has a slightly higher population than NZ is organized around a village scale. Their largest city has the same population as Wellington.

Who would be the village idiot, then?
CaptainCaveman

Postby radical_edward on Fri 2/Jun/06 12:08pm

CaptainCaveman wrote:
headwound wrote:
Kyle wrote:

... and a free turn

"Jocks only think about sports, nerds only think about sex."
radical_edward
"Fast-casual."

Postby CaptainCaveman on Fri 2/Jun/06 12:09pm

radical_edward wrote:
CaptainCaveman wrote:
headwound wrote:
Kyle wrote:

... and a free turn

"Jocks only think about sports, nerds only think about sex."

There are a lot of nerds on vorb...
CaptainCaveman

Postby phunk on Fri 2/Jun/06 12:12pm

CaptainCaveman wrote:
phunk wrote:

Fuck I hate communism, and would gladly take up arms to prevent a "revolution" - in my opinion it is the most morally reprehensible system ever.

Errr... so how do you feel about totalitarianism? :crazy:

Thats basically what communism evolves into..
phunk

Postby CaptainCaveman on Fri 2/Jun/06 12:13pm

Put it this way, if communism were a bike race, we would all be expected to start at the same time, ride the same type of bike, at the same speed, and finish at the same time, all whilst wearing jackboots, a trenchcoat, and a fat moustache. No, just won't work.
CaptainCaveman

Postby JK2 on Fri 2/Jun/06 12:13pm

phunk wrote:

Thats basically what communism evolves into..
not if you murder enough people and are only left with those who are pure of thought
JK2
Member for: 13 years 7 months

International Politics | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts