Will their be a World Economic Crunch by Easter 2008?

No - stop stirring the scheisse you naughty man
10%
No - we've been through worse in recent history
2%
Not a crunch, but more like a significant slow-down
15%
Not a slow-down, but more like stagnation
5%
It's going to get a bit ugly, but NZ will be pretty insulated
12%
It'll be raining sharebrokers for a few days, but no worse than 1987
17%
I'm calling the second Great Depression... buttcakes
15%
Apocalypse Now! Stock up on canned food and get in your bunker!
25%

Total voters : 60

Postby happybaboon on Sat 3/Jan/09 11:39am

Bigfoot wrote:
iodi wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:At least half a dozen times I have seen people close to hitting me by them not looking in intersections - and my accelerating has gotten me out of the way. It happens lots.

Fair enough. But the proposal isn't about limiting acceleration, but rather limiting vehicle speeds to the local limit. If you "have" to accelerate beyond the speed limit to avoid a hazard, then you're likely creating further hazards.

Passing very unsafe vehicle on highway - loaded poorly and with stuff falling off; I am going to speed to get past him! What would get him off the road? Not a camera, not a limiter - but a cop will :)

You don't have to pass such a vehicle in order to protect yourself from it. You could always slow down by 5km/hr and put some significant distance between you and it. Surely that would be much safer than attempting to pass a poorly loaded vehicle at speed.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Bigfoot on Sat 3/Jan/09 11:41am

Shit falling off = I would much rather be in front.
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Purple_Helmet on Sat 3/Jan/09 11:49am

Speed limiters would also remove the need for passing lanes in NZ. Upon seeing a "Passing lane 5 km ahead" sign, everyone who was previously doing 65 kph would accelerate to 100 as quickly as possible, thereby making passing impossible for everyone.
Purple_Helmet
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby iodi on Sat 3/Jan/09 11:51am

Purple_Helmet wrote: Speed limiters would also remove the need for passing lanes in NZ. Upon seeing a "Passing lane 5 km ahead" sign, everyone who was previously doing 65 kph would accelerate to 100 as quickly as possible, thereby making passing impossible for everyone.

Doesn't everyone speed up anyway when they get to a passing lane?
iodi
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby Jim on Sat 3/Jan/09 12:10pm

Yeah, it is fecking anoying, if you want to go at 85 to 90 km then fine, just when you get to an overtaking lane dont speed up.
Jim
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby Purple_Helmet on Sat 3/Jan/09 12:28pm

iodi wrote:Doesn't everyone speed up anyway when they get to a passing lane?

Yes, but with speed limiters on every car you won't be able to pass them by going 130 kph like you have to now. Hence, due to the moronic driving habits of the majority of NZers, there would be no need for passing lanes and everyone would have to drive at the speed of the slowest arsehole on the road.
Purple_Helmet

Postby Jim on Sat 3/Jan/09 12:30pm

Purple_Helmet wrote:
iodi wrote:Doesn't everyone speed up anyway when they get to a passing lane?

Yes, but with speed limiters on every car you won't be able to pass them by going 130 kph like you have to now. Hence, no need for passing lanes.

Still need passing lanes, the bigger issue is to teach people to drive sensibly.
Jim
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby Purple_Helmet on Sat 3/Jan/09 12:35pm

Jim wrote:Still need passing lanes, the bigger issue is to teach people to drive sensibly.

Bahahhhahhhahhahahahahaha. That's a good one.
Purple_Helmet

Postby thorg on Mon 5/Jan/09 9:03am

:pmob: stop doing any form of road repair. Let the roads turn to potholed rutted abominations (much like the 'highways' in Northland. Save money and have physics enforced speed restrictions all in one swoop :cool:
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Re: Who Wants To Call A World Economic Crunch By Easter 2008?

Postby Tama on Thu 15/Jan/09 8:22am

:D
http://nymag.com/news/features/all-new/53372/ wrote:During the final months of 2008, as the financial markets imploded, talk on trading desks turned to food and water stockpiles, generators, guns, and high-speed inflatable boats. “The system really was about six hours from failing,” says Gene Lange, a manager at a midtown hedge fund, referring to the week in September when Lehman went bust and AIG had to be bailed out. “When you think about how close we were to the precipice, I don’t think it necessarily makes a guy crazy to prepare for the potential worst-case scenario.”

Preparations, in Lange’s case, include a storeroom in his basement in New Jersey stacked high with enough food, water, diapers, and other necessities to last his family six months; a biometric safe to hold his guns; and a 1985 ex-military Chevy K5 Blazer that runs on diesel and is currently being retrofitted for off-road travel. He has also entertained the idea of putting an inflatable speedboat in a storage unit on the West Side, so he could get off the island quickly, and is currently considering purchasing a remote farm where he could hunker down. “If there’s a financial-system breakdown, it could take a year to reset the system, and in that time, what’s going to happen?” asks Lange. If New York turns into a scene out of I Am Legend, he wants to be ready.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby thorg on Thu 15/Jan/09 8:31am

oh gawd, idiots like this were running the American finance system :eh: I thought I was underestimating them, seems I may have been overestimating :huh:
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Re:

Postby bigJIMMY on Thu 15/Jan/09 9:16am

CrustyMTB wrote:In the US the problem was they were giving out mortagages in the same way we give out car loans. No assets, discharged bankrupt, doing two 7/11 jobs? Want to borrow $1 million with no deposit to buy a McMansion? For a credit card rate of interest the American dream can be yours!

Now when you and half the people in your burb can't pay your mortgage and the bank forecloses, no-one is lending so the vultures sweep in and asset strip the house, bears move in to your yard and the swimming pool become a breeding ground for malarial mosquitos. Oddly enough this affects the market value of the half of the burb who could afford the vast loans they now have over their rapidly devaluing McMansions.

Luckily for NZ as the US stagnates, China is buying our butter...

China is buying our butter?
China is buying our IP when it comes to dairy farming as a whole. Free trade with china? are we fuckin mad?
China buys our butter as they are building their own dairy industry, then once fully developed they flood our domestic market with cheap chinese butter/dairy products destroying our primary industry. they then turn to australia and do the same.

Wow didn't see that coming. China and Argentina will become the powers in the dairy industy IMO as we happily tell them everything we know for $$$$$$

nz will collapse once we realise that tourists arn't turning up here.

NZ businesses that have their head in the sand, still on holiday, thinking that nothing will affect them will have a hell of a wake up first quarter. the first thing they will do is cut costs sacking middle management and marketing. Senior management will have to struggle to look after more staff instead of building their business. market exposure will decrease because of a lack of marketing............

so......
my 2c
save money, don't HP anything.
be happy with your job, don't try and change for another.
for business reduce budgets but bring in some kiwi inginuity with marketing. gorrilla marketing wins.

:blush: only my 2c.... or maybe 5c
bigJIMMY
"DID SOMEONE SAY ICE CREAM! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby bugle on Thu 15/Jan/09 9:35am

I'd be fascinated to know where your insight on the World Dairy industry comes from bJ...
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby bigJIMMY on Thu 15/Jan/09 9:46am

bugle wrote:I'd be fascinated to know where your insight on the World Dairy industry comes from bJ...

work in the dairy industry......
i have to forecast dairy prices for my business, therefore what happens internationally makes a real difference to me.

are you serious or taking a dig? if you have another opinion i would like to hear it.
bigJIMMY
"DID SOMEONE SAY ICE CREAM! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby nzmatto on Thu 15/Jan/09 9:53am

I like your insight BJ. A guy called Barry Smith used to talk about this same thing a few years back. He was talking about a whole world economy and how different countries would have different primary interests associated to them, and yes China and Argentina were listed for dairy....and what about NZ??? meat? Sheep?....well partially, but he was always saying forestry and tourism as well as wool.
so far the predictions are not particularly wrong....but then again, they are nit exactly proven either. I do think we are going to see some interesting global approaches to events and country partnerships over the next few years. It is an exciting time to be alive.
If I remember rightly the same guy also spoke about the requirement for the dis-establishment of parts of the common-wealth. Apparently having a monarchy is a restrictive thing, although I don't really understand it. But given what he was saying in the 80's and early 90's it is interesting to see that both NZ and Aussie are looking at becoming republics.

I'm no doomsday person, I just find it interesting to see what people have been saying over time and looking to what is happening. Things seem to be happening, but the time frames are a lot slower than people have predicted.
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Economy | Sifting - Latest Posts