Who Makes Choppers?

Postby Luffy on Fri 5/Feb/10 8:27pm

Trying to get hold of a chopper, Raleigh used to have one but cant find one now, anyone know of any manufacturers still making them?
Luffy
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Re: Who Makes Choppers?

Postby SamKnight on Fri 5/Feb/10 8:58pm

Bell Textron still make choppers, Very reliable :thumbsup:
SamKnight
"Meh"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby notanotherhillscoach on Fri 5/Feb/10 10:06pm

SamKnight wrote:Bell Textron still make choppers, Very reliable :thumbsup:

They even let you work on them. :paranoid:

When are you trading your UH-1s for the NH-90s?
notanotherhillscoach
"take my advice, I don't need it..."
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Postby grahamt on Fri 5/Feb/10 11:03pm

Raleigh re-released the chopper in the early 2000s but don't think they have continued.
otherwise they come up on tardme occassionally. Raleigh will hold the rights to the chopper so unlikely that anyone else makes them.
grahamt
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sat 6/Feb/10 12:47pm

Is that chopper with a lower case c or Chopper with a capital C? :eh:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sat 6/Feb/10 12:53pm

:) Nice day for it and now I’ve got an idea of the abilities on bikes of most of the group I thought I’d dust off my SingleSpeed and ride it (literally dusted off, and removed cobwebs = :(

Even on the fairly hilly route I was still first or second up the hills – I’ll continue to use it with them – at least I get a decent work out even if I’m a bit knackered tomorrow.
It’s satisfying riding an old steel framed bike with one gear on heavy wheels passing people on the latest and greatest on hills :D

56kms
FLATULENTFRIEND

Postby Oli on Sat 6/Feb/10 12:55pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote::) Nice day for it and now I’ve got an idea of the abilities on bikes of most of the group I thought I’d dust off my SingleSpeed and ride it (literally dusted off, and removed cobwebs = :(

Even on the fairly hilly route I was still first or second up the hills – I’ll continue to use it with them – at least I get a decent work out even if I’m a bit knackered tomorrow.
It’s satisfying riding an old steel framed bike with one gear on heavy wheels passing people on the latest and greatest on hills :D

56kms

Is it a Chopper? :eh:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sat 6/Feb/10 12:57pm

Oli wrote:
FLATULENTFRIEND wrote::) Nice day for it and now I’ve got an idea of the abilities on bikes of most of the group I thought I’d dust off my SingleSpeed and ride it (literally dusted off, and removed cobwebs = :(

56kms

Is it a Chopper? :eh:

Don't you mean chopper? :eh:
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sat 6/Feb/10 1:01pm

I must be having an off day posting my ride here :blush:
FLATULENTFRIEND

Postby SamKnight on Wed 17/Feb/10 6:06pm

notanotherhillscoach wrote:
SamKnight wrote:Bell Textron still make choppers, Very reliable :thumbsup:

They even let you work on them. :paranoid:

When are you trading your UH-1s for the NH-90s?

They aren't trading, both will be operating simultaneously.
SamKnight
"Meh"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

RHR_Rob
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby Mukura on Fri 23/Apr/10 8:43pm

RALEIGH.

They put out the Mk 3 in 2004, which you can find on trade me for around $150, I bought one a couple of months ago, and there's been maybe eight more listed since then. They are an alloy frame, 3-speed shifter on the handle bars, and a different seat set up, both modifications due to brittish saftey regulations, and the frame because thatt's the way things go these days, bonus is that it's lighter. They went out for around 200 pound, or 249 for a limited edition model with serial number and comermorative tankard, it's rumored that in NZ the standard version retailed for around $349, but just going on conversion rate and shipping you could expect to pay $600ish

Raleigh have released a MK 4 - last year maybe, pretty similar to the Mk 3. Sheppard Industries Ltd were importing the Mk 3's - I searched them on the net and it turns out they are Avanti, so if you want a Mk 4 out of the box try an avanti dealer

If you want the real deal, I saw a Mk2 go for $175ish a couple of weeks ago, needed work, but looked fairly sound. You can get parts New Old Stock from the UK, google RCOC (Raleigh Chopper Owners Club - i think), or if you are on Facebook there is a Raleigh Chopper Appreciation Society page you can search for.

There are 'clones' out there as well, a company in aussie did a copy, was maybe Malvern Star badged, yeah, it was, you can find that via google image search, also there is an aussie site called something like online vintage bmx museum, has a lot of good examples of bmx's, cruisers, and user uploaded do-up jobs... I've got a bunch of links saved on my other computer if you are interested, but google will serve you well. There are other clones out there as well, just picked up a Spirit" one myself.

Oh, and just so you know, the brittish are real freaks about things being in original factory finish condition.... a Mk 1 there is a rare find, and can be worth 1200 pound... Hope this info helped.

Cheers :)
Mukura
Member for: 7 years 6 months

Postby murf48 on Sat 9/Oct/10 5:15pm

Hi there, depends on what sort of a chopper you want??
I make the odd chopper, see some examples on the Stewart's Gully Mini Golf, Facebook page.
Or check out some of the other bikes I have made at the Recycled Bicycle at http://steawartsgully.co.nz.
I also have some choppers for hire and sale at my Mini Golf Course.
I have added a picture of my latest build to give you an idea.
chopper5.jpg
chopper, work in progress
murf48
Member for: 7 years 0 months

Postby notanotherhillscoach on Sat 9/Oct/10 6:10pm

murf48 wrote:Hi there, depends on what sort of a chopper you want??
I make the odd chopper, see some examples on the Stewart's Gully Mini Golf, Facebook page.
Or check out some of the other bikes I have made at the Recycled Bicycle at http://steawartsgully.co.nz.
I also have some choppers for hire and sale at my Mini Golf Course.
I have added a picture of my latest build to give you an idea.

That's ghettotastic! :thumbsup:
notanotherhillscoach
"take my advice, I don't need it..."
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Postby swtchbckr on Sat 9/Oct/10 8:07pm

notanotherhillscoach wrote:That's ghettotastic! :thumbsup:

Hell yeah.

and this would certainly be interesting around Bottle Lake or McLeans... i wonder how it handles the twisties. :p :p
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Cycling | Retro Bicycles - Latest Posts