Should us Aucklanders have a Hill Climb leader board like CHCH and WGT?

Yes, it's about bloody time!
9
50%
No, leader boards are beneath me!
2
11%
Kittens.
7
39%
 
Total voters : 18

Re: Who Else In Auckland Wants A Hillclimb Leaderboard (road)?

Postby Chickenman on Wed 13/Jan/10 10:09pm

frogger wrote:I have always wanted to know what sort of times people have climbed mounain rd in the waitaks?


See that's the idea behind it, it gives really good and acheivable targets.

But it caters to riders of all abilities. Sure there'll be a sharp end that's competitive. But you'll find riders at your level to be competitive with.
Chickenman
User avatar
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Who Else In Auckland Wants A Hillclimb Leaderboard (road)?

Postby Roma on Thu 14/Jan/10 8:21am

Yeah, I'd like to see some Mountain Road times. I've seen one leaderboard somewhere on the net, can't remember where now, but from memory they were all speeeeedy cunzors.

I'm also interested in times for the hill on Twilight Road in Clevedon. I'm pretty sure the Botany club do a tt on this hill because they do a ride through there and it's spray painted (or was) on the road where to start and finish.

Could also do one like the Avanti in Mt Eden have in their store (but for people who never go to that store) which is from the rail bridge at the Swanson end of Scenic up to somewhere I forget.. the satellite thing maybe??
Roma
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Re: Who Else In Auckland Wants A Hillclimb Leaderboard (road)?

Postby rouleur on Fri 15/Jan/10 12:43am

http://www.cycle2max.com/bike-hill-clim ... spx?id=936

Interesting wee site that one.I'd nominate the usual suspects in the Waitaks, as well as Monument and Moumoukai in the Hunuas.

The Avantiplus climb is alright, but the climbs over after halfway really. I usually time myself to the first summit about 500m past the Te Henga turnoff. 4x13-15s are awesome.
rouleur
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Re: Who Else In Auckland Wants A Hillclimb Leaderboard (road)?

Postby Gordio on Fri 15/Jan/10 5:27am

Longest climb in Auckland is from Bethels, Start your stopwatch just below the quarry entrance at the signs on the lampposts race up past the quarry to scenic drive, turn right and keep racing untill you start to crest the hill, (takes me 11 mins or so to get there) turn right up the driveway (I'll find out what its called later next week) and keep racing untill you hit the last speedhump at the lookout...stop your watch there.

Avanti Mt Eden also have there Hill TT time (Posted on a post at Avanti, oddly enough) from the Rail overbridge in Swanson all the way across scenic drive to the lookout about 1km from the mast.

But it makes no difference Chicken you old fart... I'll own you
Gordio
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Re: Who Else In Auckland Wants A Hillclimb Leaderboard (road)?

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 15/Jan/10 7:53am

rouleur wrote:http://www.cycle2max.com/bike-hill-climb/Mountain-Road.aspx?id=936

Interesting wee site that one.I'd nominate the usual suspects in the Waitaks, as well as Monument and Moumoukai in the Hunuas.

The Avantiplus climb is alright, but the climbs over after halfway really. I usually time myself to the first summit about 500m past the Te Henga turnoff. 4x13-15s are awesome.


:) Thanks for posting this (esp. the link)
FLATULENTFRIEND
User avatar
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Re: Who Else In Auckland Wants A Hillclimb Leaderboard (road)?

Postby Chickenman on Fri 15/Jan/10 8:40am

rouleur wrote:http://www.cycle2max.com/bike-hill-climb/Mountain-Road.aspx?id=936

Interesting wee site that one.I'd nominate the usual suspects in the Waitaks, as well as Monument and Moumoukai in the Hunuas.

The Avantiplus climb is alright, but the climbs over after halfway really. I usually time myself to the first summit about 500m past the Te Henga turnoff. 4x13-15s are awesome.


Awesome! Cheers for the link.

I'll start putting a list of climbs together this weekend and start a poll, so everything going well, could be up and running in time for next weekend.

I don't know the climbs (even less for the Hunua's) that well; due to not having ridden the roadie much until very recently and even then just for my commute, so any help on start and finish points will be appreciated.
Chickenman
User avatar
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Who Else In Auckland Wants A Hillclimb Leaderboard (road)?

Postby Chickenman on Fri 15/Jan/10 8:41am

Gordio wrote:Longest climb in Auckland is from Bethels, Start your stopwatch just below the quarry entrance at the signs on the lampposts race up past the quarry to scenic drive, turn right and keep racing untill you start to crest the hill, (takes me 11 mins or so to get there) turn right up the driveway (I'll find out what its called later next week) and keep racing untill you hit the last speedhump at the lookout...stop your watch there.

Avanti Mt Eden also have there Hill TT time (Posted on a post at Avanti, oddly enough) from the Rail overbridge in Swanson all the way across scenic drive to the lookout about 1km from the mast.

But it makes no difference Chicken you old fart... I'll own you


Pfft.

Not if I include Mt McCauley! Or Motutara road, I OWN that hill!
Chickenman
User avatar
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Who Else In Auckland Wants A Hillclimb Leaderboard (road)?

Postby TheTricksterNZ on Fri 15/Jan/10 5:49pm

I'd suggest:

Mountain Rd
Mt Eden
Swanson side of Scenic Dr to the lookout before the TV tower
Ponga Rd in the Hunua's
TheTricksterNZ
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Re: Who Else In Auckland Wants A Hillclimb Leaderboard (road)?

Postby Gordio on Sat 16/Jan/10 7:54am

Chickenman wrote:
Gordio wrote:Longest climb in Auckland is from Bethels, Start your stopwatch just below the quarry entrance at the signs on the lampposts race up past the quarry to scenic drive, turn right and keep racing untill you start to crest the hill, (takes me 11 mins or so to get there) turn right up the driveway (I'll find out what its called later next week) and keep racing untill you hit the last speedhump at the lookout...stop your watch there.

Avanti Mt Eden also have there Hill TT time (Posted on a post at Avanti, oddly enough) from the Rail overbridge in Swanson all the way across scenic drive to the lookout about 1km from the mast.

But it makes no difference Chicken you old fart... I'll own you


Pfft.

Not if I include Mt McCauley! Or Motutara road, I OWN that hill!


Too true, you'd own me on Mt McCauley... Jerk
Gordio
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Re: Who Else In Auckland Wants A Hillclimb Leaderboard (road)?

Postby Chickenman on Sat 16/Jan/10 10:50am

Don't worry, I won't include that climb. Besides it only works when you're actually there :p

FWIW, I fully expect you to own me on the leader board despite being a few years older than me :p

I know you don't rate yourself as a climber, but a non climber at elite level racing is still better than a non climber that doesn't even race!
Chickenman
User avatar
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Who Else In Auckland Wants A Hillclimb Leaderboard (road)?

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 16/Jan/10 11:02am

i would own you both
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Re: Who Else In Auckland Wants A Hillclimb Leaderboard (road)?

Postby climber101 on Sun 9/Jan/11 7:15pm

Auckland Climbs leaderboard has finally been created!
The link is:
auckland-road-climb-leaderboard-t110398.html
get riding and post some times
climber101
User avatar
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Re: Who Else In Auckland Wants A Hillclimb Leaderboard (road)?

Postby Mickyfinn on Sun 9/Jan/11 7:38pm

Do they do cycing on the south island??
Mickyfinn
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Re: Who Else In Auckland Wants A Hillclimb Leaderboard (road)?

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sun 9/Jan/11 10:05pm

Rolling starts or ?
FLATULENTFRIEND
User avatar
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Re: Who Else In Auckland Wants A Hillclimb Leaderboard (road)?

Postby climber101 on Mon 10/Jan/11 10:07am

rolling starts are allowed as very few participants will actually start from a standstill
climber101
User avatar
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Auckland Region | Cycling | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Upper North Island | Waitakere City - Latest Posts

Who is online

146 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot], MSN [Bot] and 143 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop