So Who In Chch Is Going To Give Track A Nudge This Season?

Postby slowMTB on Tue 11/Aug/15 6:35pm

It would appear that after sifting around I have talked to many people who are considering giving Track a go this season in Chur Chur, are you one of them?
Just curious to see who is entertaining / committing to lure of the Velodrome.

I for one am considering an errrrrrr comeback :lol:
slowMTB
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Re: So Who In Chch Is Going To Give Track A Nudge This Season?

Postby scatter on Tue 11/Aug/15 6:41pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

September 23rd - Try the Track" (bring your roadie).
October 18th - Development programme commences - this isn't just for the youngsters, there were a good number of Masters riders too (including yours truly :) )
October 25th - Season proper starts.
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby scatter on Tue 11/Aug/15 6:42pm

Also, Age Group Nationals are in Invercargill next year AND World Masters games will be in Auckland (with the track cycling at the Avantidrome in Cambridge) in 2017 :cool:
scatter

Postby Rik on Tue 11/Aug/15 6:44pm

Holly cow, September, thats not very far away I've never get UP to race weight by then :butbut:

Count me in
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby slowMTB on Tue 11/Aug/15 7:07pm

scatter wrote::thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

October 18th - Development programme commences - this isn't just for the youngsters, there were a good number of Masters riders too (including yours truly :) )
October 25th - Season proper starts.

"Masters" - sounds very PC :D
slowMTB

Postby mfw on Tue 11/Aug/15 9:33pm

Beware, XCguy is threatening a track comeback too :o
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby wachtourak on Wed 12/Aug/15 6:58am

scatter wrote:Masters

lol old

Hijacking this but if any ladies are keen to give track a go in Wellington there is going to be a ladies introduction to track day sometime in the future that my other half is going to run, with bikes provided etc, keep an eye on the Wellington Velodrome facebook page for details I would assume - https://www.facebook.com/Wellington.Velodrome?fref=ts
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby Scotty on Wed 12/Aug/15 7:19am

Have they/are they going to resurface the track up there anytime soon? Saw some go-pro footage recently and it looked shaky as.
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby scatter on Wed 12/Aug/15 7:51am

Scotty wrote:Have they/are they going to resurface the track up there anytime soon? Saw some go-pro footage recently and it looked shaky as.

They're not resurfacing but they have been grinding and re-resin'ing the joins where the sections have moved badly. It's not going to be perfect and it'll look as ugly as hell but for a concrete track that was built in the 70's and has survived some pretty significant earthquakes it's in pretty darned good nick.
The council received $200,000 from Sky to get the facilities (grandstand, changing rooms, warm-up areas etc) upgraded :cool:
scatter

Postby EoinC on Wed 12/Aug/15 8:58am

scatter wrote:...and has survived some pretty significant earthquakes...

I was one of those earthquakes, back in the early 1980's - Part of a scientific R&D project to see what happens when skin meets concrete at sub-Mach 1 speeds.
EoinC
Member for: 7 years 3 months

Postby cargotrike on Wed 12/Aug/15 10:37pm

Might just be tempted, always wanted to give it a push.
cargotrike
Member for: 4 years 5 months

Postby scatter on Thu 13/Aug/15 10:31am

EoinC wrote:
scatter wrote:...and has survived some pretty significant earthquakes...

I was one of those earthquakes, back in the early 1980's - Part of a scientific R&D project to see what happens when skin meets concrete at sub-Mach 1 speeds.

Where on the track? I'll go put a sign that says "Eion's Crater" :p

cargotrike wrote:Might just be tempted, always wanted to give it a push.

Excellent! See y'all there :cool:
scatter

Postby gydey on Fri 14/Aug/15 8:43am

The one thing I struggle to understand is why so few cyclists race track..even if they focus on a different discipline in our sport, ie road, MTB, or BMX.

Back in my day ( just after the dark ages..and just before the 90s) many of New Zealands top road cyclists raced track. Yes the road season was in winter, unlike now where it appears to go forever.. however, the racing was top class. Here In Canterbury you had the likes of Blair Stockwell, Paul Jesson, Russell Nant, and of course Mull, just to mention a few, who would regularly race track and give the trackies absolute arseholes by racing super hard and toughening our trackies up. It was often said that it was harder to win the scratch race at the end of the evening, than it was to win the National scratch race title, given the quality and aggressiveness of the field. It was so popular that to make the final race of the night, you had to be selected by Bruce Dawe our conveynor of selectors, which is a far cry from what we have now, with most sprinters etc looking at the soft option and riding the B grade equivalent. Am I having a crack at the sprinters of today...yes I am!! Back in the day it was common to see a sprinter in fact win the Senior NZ 15000m title, guys like McRedmond, Steelo, Duder and a few other top sprinters. How did they do it...simple..they raced A grade track endurance races on club track nights..they learned how to hurt and fight, and then how to use their supreme speed in the last kilo of the race.

Lets look at roadies today..they all are stronger type riders, not many are good climbers in the purist sense of cycling, and more often than not when it comes to the gallop not many have a really good sprint, or dont have he confidence or skills to put themselves into a position to win. This is where racing track would help..with the closeness of racing you would grow in confidence..with the explosiveness of the track racing you would develop more power and speed, and thus allow you a better chance to win races..and lets face it , who wants to race a race like say "The Gorges" and get to the finish and get 11th in the sprint?

Look at BMX..super short events and so track would bring you speed endurance so that youre not tying up at the end of your BMX race. Shinaze Reid roade the Olympic Team Sprint for GB and was World BMX champion at the time.

MTB again would benefit..given the nana gears that are used on the climbs..if one was to race track and get used to bigger gears then one would imagine you are going to be far more potent on a power climb in a bigger gear, as you would carry far more speed.

Track needs you rides from other disciplines..but equally I would suggest you need track. Its inexpensive to get a competitive bike, it will definitely enhance you as a rider, and best of all..its good bloody fun.

Cheers
gydey
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby slowMTB on Fri 14/Aug/15 6:09pm

gydey wrote:The one thing I struggle to understand is why so few cyclists race track..even if they focus on a different discipline in our sport, ie road, MTB, or BMX.

Back in my day ( just after the dark ages..and just before the 90s) many of New Zealands top road cyclists raced track. Yes the road season was in winter, unlike now where it appears to go forever.. however, the racing was top class. Here In Canterbury you had the likes of Blair Stockwell, Paul Jesson, Russell Nant, and of course Mull, just to mention a few, who would regularly race track and give the trackies absolute arseholes by racing super hard and toughening our trackies up. It was often said that it was harder to win the scratch race at the end of the evening, than it was to win the National scratch race title, given the quality and aggressiveness of the field. It was so popular that to make the final race of the night, you had to be selected by Bruce Dawe our conveynor of selectors, which is a far cry from what we have now, with most sprinters etc looking at the soft option and riding the B grade equivalent. Am I having a crack at the sprinters of today...yes I am!! Back in the day it was common to see a sprinter in fact win the Senior NZ 15000m title, guys like McRedmond, Steelo, Duder and a few other top sprinters. How did they do it...simple..they raced A grade track endurance races on club track nights..they learned how to hurt and fight, and then how to use their supreme speed in the last kilo of the race.

Lets look at roadies today..they all are stronger type riders, not many are good climbers in the purist sense of cycling, and more often than not when it comes to the gallop not many have a really good sprint, or dont have he confidence or skills to put themselves into a position to win. This is where racing track would help..with the closeness of racing you would grow in confidence..with the explosiveness of the track racing you would develop more power and speed, and thus allow you a better chance to win races..and lets face it , who wants to race a race like say "The Gorges" and get to the finish and get 11th in the sprint?

Look at BMX..super short events and so track would bring you speed endurance so that youre not tying up at the end of your BMX race. Shinaze Reid roade the Olympic Team Sprint for GB and was World BMX champion at the time.

MTB again would benefit..given the nana gears that are used on the climbs..if one was to race track and get used to bigger gears then one would imagine you are going to be far more potent on a power climb in a bigger gear, as you would carry far more speed.

Track needs you rides from other disciplines..but equally I would suggest you need track. Its inexpensive to get a competitive bike, it will definitely enhance you as a rider, and best of all..its good bloody fun.

Cheers

Good write up, having raced A grade in the late 80's i know exactly where you are coming from, Wayne Thorpe was my coach and a hell of nice guy to boot ( R.I.P. Fella :( ).
Wish I had kept it up all these years , be lucky if I get out of D grade these days :lol: .
I hope it is still as much fun as it was back then, strangely I am looking forward to the pain :blink: :thumbsup:
slowMTB

Postby Claude on Sat 15/Aug/15 11:32am

Maybe.....
I've never ridden on the track, but have raced against a few guys on the road that have track backgrounds - and I'd say would add to Gydey's argument by always being strong at the business end of the race. They know how to look after themselves during the hard work part of the races too!
I have something else booked for the "Bring ya roadie" date bugger it.
Claude
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Cycling | Track Cycling - Latest Posts