Whitford Building Thread

Postby Macatak on Mon 1/Oct/07 1:59am

Hey Guys,

Yes i know theres already forums on Whitford but none on building.

This thread is for users of the forest but mainly people who build in there to talk about whats going on, what needs to be fixed and what tracks need to be mainained.

A place to put all your photos of the tracks you are making, and to organise digs with others. Also to communicate with others as to where you are building and if you have any plans. It pays to keep things organised.

All info on track conditions is welcome :)

I wll have short term loan of keys very soon.

Permits to ride in the forest can be gotten from here marksims@ihug.co.nz Just make sure that you address it to Susan Sims, and that you tell her you need a MTB permit. Permits are $50 for 12months.

More info on the forest found here:

http://www.vorb.org.nz/ftopict-29197.html
http://www.vorb.org.nz/ftopict-65307.html

I attached the current trails on the right of the bus stop. There is an A4 map up in the bus shelter, please dont nick it, just copy it from here.

Summers coming up which means Whitfords great for a weekend blat or a After work chill-out :thumbsup: Just be weary of rain :(
whitford_map_final_for_web.jpg
Last edited by Macatak on Mon 1/Oct/07 2:17am, edited 2 times in total.
Macatak
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby Macatak on Mon 1/Oct/07 2:08am

Theres two more tracks in the process of being built or about to be built.

theturquoisewarrior is from what i hear is building and if i were a betting man i would say hes up near his beautiful Grim Raker, but who am i to steal the fun :) I think he said it wouldnt be finished before the end of this year.

And Dave (DEMOPOSTIE) is up there on Sunday 7th October starting his new track which i think is on the Main road between Ray Rd (Ray Rd isnt marked on that map, but its the road where The Postie, The Boss, The Abyss and The Milk Run start) and Grim Raker. Look out for the White Water tower on the left?

Might head out there and give you a hand Dave if its wanted? What time shall i meet you? Late afternoon? Maybe earlier, depends on if im going to Woodhill or not. Can also make it anytime from Thursday onwards.

Oh and im there with Cam (rider-man-cam) this Saturday, just going to do abit of trail maintenance on The Postie (daves latest jump track) going to make it a bit more flowy. Just taking out some roots, fixing up a landing or 2 and building a burm. I'll be sure to post up some pics.
Macatak

Postby DEMOPOSTIE on Mon 1/Oct/07 5:26pm

sounds good to me some help you can contact me on 5337232 dave.
DEMOPOSTIE
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Macatak on Mon 1/Oct/07 5:33pm

Yeah im free all day Sunday so when ever. If i dont hear from you again today ill give you a ring.

021 267 5383 - if you need me.
Macatak

Postby theturquoisewarrior on Thu 4/Oct/07 9:09pm

Hmmm, I hadn't realised that that Ray Rd wasn't labeled on that map. It was on the original that I sent Dan (T8500).

That tank Dave is mentioning is on the left at the top of the last hill on the way to Grim Raker (assuming you took the easy way there) ;) I was thinking of building a track there too, that would basicly follow the road to the start of Grim Raker. I call it: Feed the Raker.

Got 8 hours done on my track last weekend and was pleased with my progress. Will have to take the camera next time.

I'm stoked about all this new building out there :D :D :D
theturquoisewarrior
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby ape on Thu 4/Oct/07 9:31pm

What is the deal with access these days? is it still run by cmmbc?., if possible to get day permits?... in the past I've been a ~1 trip per year visitor..., it's good to hear people are out there building more tracks.
ape
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Macatak on Thu 4/Oct/07 10:28pm

The forest is maintained by Rayonier, i think it is privately owned by someone? Rayioner have said to me that they will be staying to where they are currently logging. They might remove the odd tree thats crossing a trail but thats about as far as they go.

There used to be day permits, but i wouldnt bother. Ive been riding there for ages and still havnt got my permit or the keys yet, i think the lady is away on Holiday.

Yeah new tracks getting made and old ones maintained can only be good for the forest and its users. Provides a "real" alternative to riding on the well groomed easy Woodhill tracks. Most trails at Whitford are considered to be Intermediate-Advanced.
Macatak

Postby Macatak on Thu 4/Oct/07 10:31pm

theturquoisewarrior wrote: Got 8 hours done on my track last weekend and was pleased with my progress. Will have to take the camera next time.

Please do, then we can play the guessing game :thumbsup:

Ill be taking the camera with me on Saturday to take pics of the additons we make.

Touch and go Dave if ill be there on Sunday (did you really want a 15yo helping you. Saying that im mighty good with a spade) , waiting to see if ill head down to Vegas to check out the Enduro.
Macatak

Postby t8500 on Fri 5/Oct/07 10:01am

theturquoisewarrior wrote: Hmmm, I hadn't realised that that Ray Rd wasn't labeled on that map. It was on the original that I sent Dan (T8500).

That tank Dave is mentioning is on the left at the top of the last hill on the way to Grim Raker (assuming you took the easy way there) ;) I was thinking of building a track there too, that would basicly follow the road to the start of Grim Raker. I call it: Feed the Raker.

Got 8 hours done on my track last weekend and was pleased with my progress. Will have to take the camera next time.

I'm stoked about all this new building out there :D :D :D

updated map (ray rd,postie)
o and i have an a2 for the map board out there, could be coming out there for a ride this sunday, i will try and remember to bring some nails, to put it up.
whitford map final for web.jpg
t8500
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby tartgrandmother on Fri 5/Oct/07 11:50am

who else is comeing tomorow?????????
tartgrandmother
"Blowing cobwebs"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Macatak on Fri 5/Oct/07 11:55am

Ok so heres a map to show the trail that dave is talking about. Im not sure if i placed it correctly along the road but you get the idea. Is it too short?

The second down opposite stream road is where i propose i should dig next. It offers a track to get out, linking up with the other exit trail.

Should be flowy with the odd wooden kicker, but mainly lots of burms and fairly smooth. Im thinking about a bridge...and a creek jump :satan:
whitford_map_final_for_web_203.jpg
New tracks to be built.
Last edited by Macatak on Fri 5/Oct/07 12:06pm, edited 2 times in total.
Macatak

Postby Macatak on Fri 5/Oct/07 11:56am

tartgrandmother wrote: who else is comeing tomorow?????????

Just you me and Cam.
Macatak

Postby tartgrandmother on Fri 5/Oct/07 11:58am

oh ok sounds like a plan
tartgrandmother
"Blowing cobwebs"

Postby Macatak on Fri 5/Oct/07 12:09pm

Still havnt got keys yet, so ill give her a ring tonight. Keen for a 11:30 clock start? Got to get my bike rack before i turn up.
Macatak

Postby tartgrandmother on Fri 5/Oct/07 1:55pm

ok yep, you got my number so txt me
tartgrandmother
"Blowing cobwebs"

Auckland Region | Cycling | New Zealand | Regions | Upper North Island - Latest Posts