Whistler - Must Rides, Where To Stay Etc

Postby Trail on Wed 24/Jul/13 3:28pm

Hey all. Off to Canada in a couple of weeks time for 3 weeks. I have about 3 days spare at the start of my trip which I thought I would spend in Whistler. Rest of the trip includes Squamish, Pemberton, Chilcotins and maybe Merritt with friends that live over there.

So I am looking for the good info for 3 days in Whistler. Accommodation (cheapish if possible), shuttle/bus service to/from Van and which trails are ones that I should not miss! If you have info on what are good loops to hook up I am all ears. I am taking a 6 inch travel AM bike and am quite happy to pedal up big climbs if there is an awesome singletrack descent. I am an experienced rider and happy riding technical trails. I will probably also do a day on the lifts of the bike park possibly including the Top of the World trail.

Oh, and the 3 days I am looking at being in Whistler happen to conicide with Crankworx... so I suspect it may be a bit crazy in town?? Although being Mon 11 Aug to Wed 13 Aug it may not be in full Crankworx crazy mode?

What say ye?
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Re: Whistler - Must Rides, Where To Stay Etc

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 24/Jul/13 3:54pm

Sweet! Have a wicked trip.

(sorry, no advice though)

Return with pix.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby BrentD on Wed 24/Jul/13 4:19pm

The big event of Crankworx is the Joyride on Saturday but there's plenty going on the rest of the time and not too crazy busy especially if you ride the upper part of the mountain. Lift queues at the bottom can be about 15 minutes during Crankworx on the Fitzsimmons Chair but the local pro tip is to go on the gondola which doesn't seem to have much of a queue most of the time. The Garbonzo chair rarely had more than a few people in the queue.

We're off there on 16th August for a couple of weeks so will be in the area at the same time. Staying in Whistler for the whole two weeks but riding in Pemberton, Squamish, Mt Seymour (North Shore Vancouver) and around Whistler Valley (including a heli drop) as well as the bike park.

Definitely give yourself a day in the bike park which pretty much has something for everyone from flat out fast machine made trails like the classic Freight Train to Dirt Mechant to A Line run to the more techy steep, rocky, rooty fun. Hard to go wrong on any of the trails there.

There are some real gems in Whistler outside the bike park too like Danimal, River Runs Through It, etc. We only scratched the surface last time we were there and will definitely be exploring more in the valley this time.

We're staying at the Northstar condo this time but if you only have a few days, staying with Ticket2RideBC at there lodge (where we stayed last time) is a good option with plenty of bike minded people who will show you round.

Transport from Vancouver to Whistler has a few options with Pacific Coach Lines being recommended. We have a private shuttle booked which didn't work out too bad for the six of us at only a slightly higher cost than Pacific. If you arrive on a Saturday, Ticket2RideBC will pick you up from the airport.
BrentD
"20 minutes into the future"
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby michael on Wed 24/Jul/13 4:39pm

Highly recommend the Powerhouse Plunge track in Squamish on the way to Whistler.
michael
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Postby Bigfoot on Wed 24/Jul/13 4:42pm

I highly recommend staying in Vancouver and drinking... but that's because I may be a drunk.
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby Trail on Wed 24/Jul/13 4:42pm

Cheers for the info. I was thinking that mid-week the park would still be sane and that I would spend a day in the park. Trails outside the park like River runs through it to the Yummy Numby loop are on the radar and I am sure there will be others to add to this list.

Cheers for the heads up on T2R lodge. That sounds like a good option especially as I will be by myself in Whistler and it would be good to hook up with people to ride with.

Velocipedestrian... I will make sure I take some photos for ya. Do all the photos need to have bears and maple leaves in them?
Trail

Postby Trail on Wed 24/Jul/13 4:43pm

Bigfoot wrote:I highly recommend staying in Vancouver and drinking... but that's because I may be a drunk.

Now you sir I would be looking for advice on where to find fine craft beers (not bears)!
Trail

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Wed 24/Jul/13 5:22pm

Trail wrote:Cheers for the info. I was thinking that mid-week the park would still be sane and that I would spend a day in the park.

Even in June the weekends were busy with long lines on the lifts. Weekday mornings were the best time to ride. :thumbsup: Pacific Coachlines as mentioned was a good comfortable bus there, and reasonable. We stayed at the Tantalus lodge, which is on the cheaper end, a bit of an older property, but lots of space. We had a two bedroom place with a full kitchen and dining and living area. Five minutes walk to the lifts. Might be getting a bit late to book cheap accommodation though?
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 17 years 3 months

Postby BrentD on Wed 24/Jul/13 6:26pm

Last edited by BrentD on Thu 25/Jul/13 8:59am, edited 1 time in total.
BrentD
"20 minutes into the future"
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 24/Jul/13 6:30pm

Trail wrote:Velocipedestrian... I will make sure I take some photos for ya. Do all the photos need to have bears and maple leaves in them?

Only if the bear is wiping it's bum with said maple leaf. (to prove that thing about bears people are always going on about)
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby ringo on Thu 25/Jul/13 6:53am

I was in Whistler for a day about six weeks ago. Most people were riding the Fitzsimmons zone at that stage with a lot of snow higher up. I am a good intermediate rider with enough singletrack experience, but no proper downhill experience. So I stuck to mostly blue trails and rode all of them around the Fitzsimmons zone, with a foray onto A trail. I wasnon a rental Demo 8. However, from what I could see, the flow of a lot of the black runs rewards either good skills over rocks and roots or a healthy appetite for big air. So while I could get down the latter i was sucking up the big jumps and the flow was ruined. You should be fine

I got chatting to locals on the chairlift and ended up following them around as they strung together trails in a way that really helped great the most of it. Lots of local knowledge there to take advantage of.

As to other cool things, Musette caffe in Vancouver is a cool place to grab a coffee if you are roadie-inclined at all. And the Legacy liquor store in Vancouver is great for good beer. Search out the beer guy and ask his advice. Try the Driftwood Fat Tug double IPA. They also stock 8 Wired and Epic if you miss home!

Have fun!
ringo
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby Bigfoot on Thu 25/Jul/13 8:50am

Fat tug is not a double ipa... PEDANTIC MAN STRIKES AGAIN.

But it is fucking good. :)
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"

Postby Trail on Thu 25/Jul/13 10:37am

I like good beer!! :thumbsup:

Thanks peoples! Some good info coming.
Trail

Postby Conners on Thu 25/Jul/13 12:08pm

BrentD wrote:

:lol:
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"

Postby Mr_Bob on Thu 25/Jul/13 1:46pm

Whistler creek backpackers is good if you want cheap, and the diner below has good blueberry pancakes :thumbsup:
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Canada | Cycling | Mountain Biking | North America | Regions - Latest Posts