Re: Te Tāwhio O Whanganui

Postby Simonk on Wed 30/Jan/13 9:21pm

znomit wrote:Probably doing something like this, depending on legs and weather.

Tawhio2013.png


How long is your second day, Tim?
Simonk
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Re: Te Tāwhio O Whanganui

Postby znomit on Wed 30/Jan/13 9:29pm

Simonk wrote:
znomit wrote:Probably doing something like this, depending on legs and weather.

Tawhio2013.png


How long is your second day, Tim?


Its 200km so probably very long. :p
znomit
User avatar
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Re: Te Tāwhio O Whanganui

Postby sifter on Wed 30/Jan/13 10:32pm

I just had a look around for the locations of the Taranaki Tunnels... This site was a bit cumbersome, but had map segments for most of the tunnels. Now, how to link them up...!

See also: taranaki-rural-tunnels-t113925.html
sifter
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Re: Te Tāwhio O Whanganui

Postby sifter on Fri 1/Feb/13 3:45pm

I'm ready! 16.6kg as shown (bottles empty!)

DSC_0364.jpg


Gear list over yonder... =} http://sifter-writes-bikes.blogspot.co. ... /gear.html
sifter
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Re: Te Tāwhio O Whanganui

Postby Eljefe on Fri 1/Feb/13 3:55pm

pah! I larf at 16.6. Too Follow..... ; )
Looks awesome Sifter .
Eljefe
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Re: Te Tāwhio O Whanganui

Postby sifter on Fri 1/Feb/13 3:58pm

:thumbsup:
sifter
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Re: Te Tāwhio O Whanganui

Postby mfw on Fri 1/Feb/13 4:09pm

sifter wrote:I'm ready! 16.6kg as shown (bottles empty!)
Gear list over yonder... =} http://sifter-writes-bikes.blogspot.co. ... /gear.html

That's a sharp as result on the scales, you know it's not a race you know :ib:

Interesting to see the Revelate Viscacha gaining polularity over freeload racks in bikepacking circles.

I love the freeload design apart from one thing - it is unsprung mass - obviously handling is better if it is sprung (attached the other side of the suspension), not so much of a problem for hardtails but I am planning the Kiwi Brevet on my full susser and so looking out for the best bike bag options.

And it seems you can't get freeload racks anymore anyway?, at least until Thule get their act together.
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Re: Te Tāwhio O Whanganui

Postby sifter on Fri 1/Feb/13 4:19pm

mfw wrote:
sifter wrote:I'm ready! 16.6kg as shown (bottles empty!)
Gear list over yonder... =} http://sifter-writes-bikes.blogspot.co. ... /gear.html

That's a sharp as result on the scales, you know it's not a race you know :ib:

Interesting to see the Revelate Viscacha gaining polularity over freeload racks in bikepacking circles.

I love the freeload design apart from one thing - it is unsprung mass - obviously handling is better if it is sprung (attached the other side of the suspension), not so much of a problem for hardtails but I am planning the Kiwi Brevet on my full susser and so looking out for the best bike bag options.

And it seems you can't get freeload racks anymore anyway?, at least until Thule get their act together.


I'd use a freeload if there's a bit of technical MTBing - getting of the back of the seat doesn't happen with the seat bags. Otherwise, it's a lot of extra weight, and there's always the risk of operator error when installing... :blush:
sifter
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Re: Te Tāwhio O Whanganui

Postby Eljefe on Fri 1/Feb/13 4:24pm

mfw wrote:
sifter wrote:I'm ready! 16.6kg as shown (bottles empty!)
Gear list over yonder... =} http://sifter-writes-bikes.blogspot.co. ... /gear.html

That's a sharp as result on the scales, you know it's not a race you know :ib:

Interesting to see the Revelate Viscacha gaining polularity over freeload racks in bikepacking circles.

I love the freeload design apart from one thing - it is unsprung mass - obviously handling is better if it is sprung (attached the other side of the suspension), not so much of a problem for hardtails but I am planning the Kiwi Brevet on my full susser and so looking out for the best bike bag options.

And it seems you can't get freeload racks anymore anyway?, at least until Thule get their act together.

I'm not sure Freeload have hit critical mass where it counts yet. I am noticing the backpacker guys in the US are finally starting to take notice of them. The seat bags have dominated there for some time but maybe with Thules advertising weight behind them they might catch on. I hope the construction is as good as Freeloads was as well. Would be smart to use the same factory.
Eljefe
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Re: Te Tāwhio O Whanganui

Postby Eljefe on Fri 1/Feb/13 4:28pm

sifter wrote:
mfw wrote:
sifter wrote:I'm ready! 16.6kg as shown (bottles empty!)
Gear list over yonder... =} http://sifter-writes-bikes.blogspot.co. ... /gear.html

That's a sharp as result on the scales, you know it's not a race you know :ib:

Interesting to see the Revelate Viscacha gaining polularity over freeload racks in bikepacking circles.

I love the freeload design apart from one thing - it is unsprung mass - obviously handling is better if it is sprung (attached the other side of the suspension), not so much of a problem for hardtails but I am planning the Kiwi Brevet on my full susser and so looking out for the best bike bag options.

And it seems you can't get freeload racks anymore anyway?, at least until Thule get their act together.


I'd use a freeload if there's a bit of technical MTBing - getting of the back of the seat doesn't happen with the seat bags. Otherwise, it's a lot of extra weight, and there's always the risk of operator error when installing... :blush:

I was actually, at times, sitting on my Freeload as I rode Dry Creek in the slippery wet the other day Sifter !! Slimey.
Eljefe
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Re: Te Tāwhio O Whanganui

Postby mfw on Fri 1/Feb/13 4:43pm

sifter wrote:I'd use a freeload if there's a bit of technical MTBing - getting of the back of the seat doesn't happen with the seat bags. Otherwise, it's a lot of extra weight, and there's always the risk of operator error when installing... :blush:

Sorry, off topic, but which would be the pick for KB then?, given that the Wharfdale might be a bike carry anyway for the slower/unskilled riders, which doesn't leave much tech riding in the 1200km.
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Re: Te Tāwhio O Whanganui

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 1/Feb/13 5:00pm

sifter wrote:I'm ready! 16.6kg as shown (bottles empty!)

DSC_0364.jpg


Gear list over yonder... =} http://sifter-writes-bikes.blogspot.co. ... /gear.html


Damn!, my bike doesn't weigh much less than that not loaded :paranoid:
pushbikerider
User avatar
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Re: Te Tāwhio O Whanganui

Postby Simonk on Fri 1/Feb/13 5:16pm

mfw wrote:
sifter wrote:I'd use a freeload if there's a bit of technical MTBing - getting of the back of the seat doesn't happen with the seat bags. Otherwise, it's a lot of extra weight, and there's always the risk of operator error when installing... :blush:

Sorry, off topic, but which would be the pick for KB then?, given that the Wharfdale might be a bike carry anyway for the slower/unskilled riders, which doesn't leave much tech riding in the 1200km.


I reckon it depends on how much you plan to carry. If you are thinking of taking a tent or bivvy and sleeping bag/mat, consider the Freeload. Otherwise, if travelling really light, a big seat bag will do quite nicely.
Simonk
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Re: Te Tāwhio O Whanganui

Postby mfw on Fri 1/Feb/13 5:31pm

Simonk wrote:
mfw wrote:
sifter wrote:I'd use a freeload if there's a bit of technical MTBing - getting of the back of the seat doesn't happen with the seat bags. Otherwise, it's a lot of extra weight, and there's always the risk of operator error when installing... :blush:

Sorry, off topic, but which would be the pick for KB then?, given that the Wharfdale might be a bike carry anyway for the slower/unskilled riders, which doesn't leave much tech riding in the 1200km.


I reckon it depends on how much you plan to carry. If you are thinking of taking a tent or bivvy and sleeping bag/mat, consider the Freeload. Otherwise, if travelling really light, a big seat bag will do quite nicely.

Tks, a pragmatic answer :thumbsup:
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Re: Te Tāwhio O Whanganui

Postby Eljefe on Fri 1/Feb/13 5:38pm

Here's my beastie. Just weighed it. 18 kgs = 40 pounds. Empty bottles.
Plus I will have a 3 litre camelbak on with a rain jacket and rain pants in it, plus camera and phone. Nothing in my cycling top pockets. Wondering if I should ditch the camera and just use the phone.....
Ive gone for the Klingon approach again. Everything I need on a daily basis attached to the exterior of bike.
Chamois cream, nuuns tabs, chain oil, tools, muesli bars.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8359/8434567740_56915619cf_b.jpg
wanganui.jpg
Eljefe
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Cycle Touring | Cycling | Events | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions - Latest Posts

Who is online

74 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], shmoodiver and 68 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Torpedo7
  • Vorb Shop