Re: Te Tāwhio O Whanganui

Postby Derryn Hinch on Thu 20/Sep/12 10:24am

znomit wrote:
Simonk wrote:I reckon a touring bike might be the better option overall - you can detour round the rough stuff if you want.

I'm taking my road bike with 25c tyres and a spare. Did a little gentle single track on it yesterday, more for me than the bike. Lots of fun.

How did this setup work out? Considering doing something similar.
Derryn Hinch
User avatarMedal
"....... but I never called her fat!!!"
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby znomit on Thu 20/Sep/12 1:16pm

Derryn Hinch wrote:
znomit wrote:
Simonk wrote:I reckon a touring bike might be the better option overall - you can detour round the rough stuff if you want.

I'm taking my road bike with 25c tyres and a spare. Did a little gentle single track on it yesterday, more for me than the bike. Lots of fun.

How did this setup work out? Considering doing something similar.

Worked fine. I struggled a bit on the deep gravel up the Whanganui river rd and along Junction road (throughly recommend this detour btw). I was running my tyres around 60 psi which helped somewhat. The Whanganui rd might be sealed by this trip too.
The Forgotten highway is nice smooth hard packed gravel so no problems through there, even 23c would be OK if you're not too heavy.

Junction rd:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/67224913
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby sifter on Mon 10/Dec/12 2:14pm

OK, I'm getting my A into G so you've got some details this side of Christmas. If you're on Facebook, please Like the Tāwhio Page and send an email to siftyjohn@gmail.com

I'll aim to post major updates here, on facebook, and email them out. There'll be something by the end of this week.
sifter
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby pushbikerider on Mon 10/Dec/12 9:41pm

Done :thumbsup:
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Eljefe on Thu 10/Jan/13 12:38pm

Whose got some different routes planned for the Tawhio ? I have zero knowledge of this area, so am really looking forward to it, but would hate to miss something really awesome that anyone would recommend ?

Jeff
Eljefe
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Simonk on Thu 10/Jan/13 12:48pm

Eljefe wrote:Whose got some different routes planned for the Tawhio ? I have zero knowledge of this area, so am really looking forward to it, but would hate to miss something really awesome that anyone would recommend ?

Jeff

Am really looking forward to doing the Kaiwhakauka Track on day 3.

Maybe the beach between Whanganui and Waitotara.

Am keen on the road past Waitaanga (day 2) but haven't worked out how to get there, yet.
Simonk
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Eljefe on Thu 10/Jan/13 1:23pm

I will look it up Simon : )
The Mrs got me a nice Garmin etrex 20 gps for xmas so I am learning all about that stuff. Bit of a learning curve but its all good fun ! Are you tandeming or going solo ? I still havent picked a steed either. The cxer or the karate monkey.
Eljefe

Postby Simonk on Thu 10/Jan/13 2:14pm

Eljefe wrote:I will look it up Simon : )
The Mrs got me a nice Garmin etrex 20 gps for xmas so I am learning all about that stuff. Bit of a learning curve but its all good fun ! Are you tandeming or going solo ? I still havent picked a steed either. The cxer or the karate monkey.

Solo (Jonathan will be at the Ghost Rd opening). You could easily go either way with the bike - which one do you prefer to ride on gravel roads?
Simonk
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Eljefe on Thu 10/Jan/13 2:51pm

I really enjoy the CXer on the gravel, but if it gets wet, it doesnt take long before v-brake pads can get very worn out. CXer weighs about 6-7 pounds less than the disc equipped monkey too. I havent tried it with a rack on yet tho. Rear stays are quite steep.
Eljefe

Postby ryda on Thu 10/Jan/13 3:22pm

Simonk wrote:Am really looking forward to doing the Kaiwhakauka Track on day 3.

We rode Kaiwhakauka track end of last summer, its a good ride. :thumbsup: We started at National Park and dropped down fishers first, as we had no how long it would take we opted to finish at Ruatiti domain rather than risk being to late for the boat at "Bridge to Nowhere"
there is a cafe at Whakahoro its part of "Blue Duck lodge" we we got Coffee and cold drinks, very limited in food, few bags of chippies and some bars as I think they only do food for those staying there. Being a bit of the maintrunk line they prolly don't get much drop in custom :paranoid:
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby znomit on Wed 30/Jan/13 12:38pm

Probably doing something like this, depending on legs and weather.

Tawhio2013.png
znomit

Postby sifter on Wed 30/Jan/13 1:36pm

:thumbsup:
sifter
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby BillB on Wed 30/Jan/13 2:49pm

Typical roadie ride - where's your sense of (offroad) adventure? ;)
BillB
"To finish last, first you have to finish!"

Postby znomit on Wed 30/Jan/13 6:38pm

BillB wrote:Typical roadie ride - where's your sense of adventure? ;)

MY GOD MAN, IT'S LIKE 100KM BETWEEN COFFEE STOPS :crazy:
znomit

Kakapo
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Cycle Touring | Cycling | Events | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions - Latest Posts