This topic has not been added to any channels. This will make it hard for users to find. Type relevant channels into the Add Channel box to add them.

Which Xc/trail Hardtail Model To Choose??

Postby damienmumu on Sun 15th Mar 9:19pm

Hi,
I am looking to get seriouly more into MTB since my sin who is 10 years old started MTB club. He loves it, rides well so I want to do more with him.
I have owned a Giant XTC 2 year 2003 since 2006. I love it, great bike but I understand that larger wheels would help with today riding style. Also I understand the geometry of the XTC is quite brutal...
I feel I would like to stick to hardtail for budget reason and simplicity also because I am not sure a full suspension is indispensable when upgrading your bike.
I searched quite a lot and I feel that a trail geometry with good climbing ability is a good option.
Through my searches I selected a few on line bikes such as the Vitus Sentier, Nukeproof Scout but also the NS Eccentric Lite 1. I was particularly fascinated by the NZ Eccentric as it seems to have a great a great geometric but absolutely no reviews found. Otherwise the Vitus Sentier seems to be the bike most people love.
Apart from these online options, Kona Honzo seems great.
Would appreciate your qualified advice.

Also looking for a bike for my wife. She has started with a used Giant Talon 1 26in from 2010/2012. It got her hooked up to MTB which is great. I would be keen to upgrade her bike, still hardtail (same reason as above). Since she is not fast neither confident, I was wondering if sticking to a XC frame or going into trail frame would be better to help gain confidence.
Any advice on bikes would be welcome?

Thank you.
damienmumu
Member for: 3 weeks 3 days

DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Re: Which Xc/trail Hardtail Model To Choose??

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 20th Mar 10:57pm

:withstupid:
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby damienmumu on Sun 22nd Mar 11:24pm

I came across the San Quentin in my research but thought it was a little too agressive and probably not ideal for going uphill efficiently and doing longer distance?
What do you think?
Seems like a fun bike otherwise...!
Thanks.
damienmumu

Postby DogsBollocks on Mon 23rd Mar 9:13am

Seat tube is pretty steep so it's fairly "short". Chuck a 30t on it if the climbing is an issue. It's a heap of bike for that $'s
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby damienmumu on Tuesday 6:43am

And what about the Kona Honzo? from reading it seems the best bike frame for all around.
the San Quentin is reported quite a heavy bike.
No one seems to have much to say about these 3 bikes available online: Vitus Sentier, Nukeproof Scout but also the NS Eccentric Lite 1...???
damienmumu

- Latest Posts