Which Towbar Rack Should I Get?

Postby fizzychicken on Fri 6/Jan/12 9:37am

Hi all!

my old car had a roof rack and all was good! my new car does not have a roof rack but has a tow bar so I am planning to get a towbar fork-style rack. I have found a few options and would like anyones advice/recommendation as I have never used one before.

My Bikes;

As you can see my old enduro has one of those stupid frames that means I will have to bungee it up to secure it to any rack.
So far these are the options I have found;

http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/T7CATNN48/title/torpedo7-4-bike-rack
This one is very cheap and has some positive reviews, but it doesnt appear to have foam on the main post and people have mentioned that the arms dont appear secure. It cannot be folded.

http://www.bikebarn.co.nz/Product/CB-698A-3/ZAPP_2-3_Bike_Rack_-_Silver
looks a decent size, costs a bit more but does come with plenty of bungee cords. image gives the impression that they are not too confident of the stability as it is also strapped to the boot (I have a hatch back style boot which does not have a metal frame above the rear glass window so I would prefer to avoid any strap mechanism to the boot)

http://www.hedgehog.co.nz/products/roam-fixed-arm-3-bike-rack.html
bit more expensive but looks like a good shape and has foam support too.
http://www.hedgehog.co.nz/products/roam-folding-3-bike-rack.html
The folding version of the above rack, costs more.

So I guess I need to decide if it is worths pending th extra money ona folding arm, or if they all do the same job at the end of the day. Does anybody own any of these racks? or can anyone recommend one I don't know about?

Many thanks for your time.

Fizzy.
fizzychicken
Member for: 5 years 9 months

Re: Which Towbar Rack Should I Get?

Postby PeloNZ on Fri 6/Jan/12 9:43am

I am happy with my T7 4 bike rack. The arms can be folded vertically, if you can be bothered unbolting then rebolting them.
My mate has an ezigrip modular prong folding 4 bike rack which is great too. http://www.ezigrip.co.nz/mainmenu10/pag ... lding.html
PeloNZ
Member for: 6 years 6 months

Postby northernmonkey on Fri 6/Jan/12 9:46am

Q-Spear here - very happy with it...
northernmonkey
"The North will Rise Again"
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby Slapheid on Fri 6/Jan/12 10:12am

PeloNZ wrote:My mate has an ezigrip modular prong folding 4 bike rack which is great too. http://www.ezigrip.co.nz/mainmenu10/pag ... lding.html

We also have this one for family outings. Only gripe with it is that the main vertical upright is a sloppy fit into the towbar socket. Tightening up the knurled nut doesn't take out the slop.
Once you are loaded up you soon forget about it though..
Slapheid
"Good things come to those who gate."
Member for: 7 years 7 months

Postby fizzychicken on Fri 6/Jan/12 10:57am

I like the look of the QSpear ones but cant seem to find anywhere in NZ that is selling them online (my local stores dont seem to stock them).
fizzychicken

Postby northernmonkey on Fri 6/Jan/12 2:51pm

fizzychicken wrote:I like the look of the QSpear ones but cant seem to find anywhere in NZ that is selling them online (my local stores dont seem to stock them).

Not sure if they're available new now, they come up on TM sometimes,

http://www.inflightbikesystems.co.nz/2-fold.html

These guys look pretty good though (they're a bit pricey), am thinking about one for my Surf as my Qspear doesn't have the 4WD offset...
northernmonkey
"The North will Rise Again"
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby nagem on Fri 6/Jan/12 4:29pm

I'm happy with my T7 rack.
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby DropKick on Fri 6/Jan/12 4:45pm

Cant imagine theres any difference between a q spear and the t7 one
just get the t7 one, and if it bends just ring them up/email them a photo and im sure they'll send you a new one
DropKick
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby Conners on Fri 6/Jan/12 8:58pm

DropKick wrote:Cant imagine theres any difference between a q spear and the t7 one
just get the t7 one, and if it bends just ring them up/email them a photo and im sure they'll send you a new one

The T7 racks I've seen have been bolted together, my QSpear is a solid welded unit (ie prongs can't be removed).
I've seen a bit of play in a couple of T7 racks (in the bolt on arms) but if you're bungying everything down anyway I guess it's not going to be an issue? One upside to the T7 racks is yyou can dieassemble for starage if required - a QSpear is pretty big/awkward when it's in the back of your wagon.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby wachtourak on Fri 6/Jan/12 9:21pm

fizzychicken wrote:Hi all!http://www.bikebarn.co.nz/Product/CB-698A-3/ZAPP_2-3_Bike_Rack_-_Silver
looks a decent size, costs a bit more but does come with plenty of bungee cords. image gives the impression that they are not too confident of the stability as it is also strapped to the boot (I have a hatch back style boot which does not have a metal frame above the rear glass window so I would prefer to avoid any strap mechanism to the boot)

The strap is nothing to do with stability of the rack, it bolts securely on to your towbar like any other, the strap is to take some of the weight off your towbar when you have a heap of bikes - I do the same thing on my rack with a ratchet tie-down running through the boot if I am carrying 4 bikes, as I learnt the hard way and bent my towbar slightly - 4 bikes sitting out a long way is a lot of leverage. Though if you have a meaty towbar it's not such an issue...
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Fri 6/Jan/12 10:21pm

wachtourak wrote:The strap is nothing to do with stability of the rack

Disagree good sir.
Of course the more you support something the more stable it'll be.
A strop through the back doors sure stiffens the whole thing up when we have more than 2 bikes on.
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sat 7/Jan/12 12:10am

Buy my Ezi-Grip II (i.e. non-modular) 4-bike rack!
The Enduro would need a Bike Buddy or whatever it's called, it is a bar which runs from stem to seat post so you have something to clamp.

The 4-bike and all the offset models Ezi-grip have two grubscrews at 10:00 and 2:00 to grip the towball.
Older 2 and 3-bike models have only one screw at 9:00, a less effective angle but easier to get at. Newer 2-3 bike models have the single screw at a better angle.

The bike clamps can be rotated to any angle, this allows many weird bikes to fit without a Bike Buddy.

They recommend a boot hook strap to relieve some of the bending load on the towbar from a fully loaded rack. This is particularly important with racks which have an offset post.
Last edited by Simonius_Titius on Fri 13/Jan/12 11:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby KoNa_dHer on Sat 7/Jan/12 6:41pm

Stay away form Zapp bike racks... I bought one last year when I needed one asap and returned it for my money back on the same day. Shit build quality. They're two piece with a locking pin and there is heaps of movement where they join up.

QSpear racks are awesome, but I couldn't find anyone that stocked them either.

I ended up buying one of these http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/cycling ... 011341.htm. A guy here in CHCH makes them. Solid as and very reasonably priced. Also two piece (top piece with forks is detachable) but doesn't move around. Have taken mine on a couple of decent road trips with 4 bikes on the back with no trouble at all. Here's a pic to give you an idea:

KoNa_dHer
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby fizzychicken on Sun 8/Jan/12 8:45pm

many thanks for all the comments, I have managed to pop into some stores this weekend and found that they all have advantages and disadvantages. The EZI one looks the best but has small spacing on the fork and doesnt fit the towball well. the torpedo one has too much play in it and I cant find a Qspear one anywhere.
In the end I have ordered the one recommended by KoNa_dHer, many thanks for the tip. It looks to be a good build quality and the right size.
Will post some pics when it arrives and I fit it to the car.
fizzychicken

Postby fizzychicken on Fri 13/Jan/12 2:39pm

My new Narley towbar arrived yesterday!
I am super happy with this one, it is clearly better than all the ones I had checked out in the stores. The rack is much bigger, has better padding and is very sturdy, you can clearly see the care that has been taken when it has been hand made. even without trying it out I am happy with it. Car will be getting a new towbar fitted on Wednesday and after that I will post some pictures!
fizzychicken

Cycling | Freeriding (MTB) | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts