Which Tow Bar Bike Rack Would Recommend

Postby Sickman on Sun 25/Oct/15 7:19am

I looking at upgrading my old 2 prong rack. Something to carry up to 4 MTB's on gravel access roads with small creek fords.
Having something that would allow access to the rear door of the wagon would be nice.

Should I stick with the stand old two prong design but with a tilt mechanism like this
http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/T7CATNNT4/title/torpedo7-tilting-towball-mount-4-bike-rack
Simple and straight forward and has good wheel clearance when going over rough ground or fords. I see this one folds down locks on the back of the car so cold just leave it on the car all the time when not in use. This model looks like it has long prongs so 4 bikes should be easy done.

Or should I go for a channel mount rack one like this
http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/T7CATN04B/title/torpedo7-towball-mount-4-bike-channel-rack
Have not used one of these before. But it looks like they keep your bikes better in not getting scratched. But looks like they may move around a bit as only supported on the uprights at low down on the main tube. May have issues with ground clearance. Can only open the wagon rear door when bike off or maybe the door will open when only two bike are on the channels furthers from the bar. Looks heavy to attach to the towbar and would have to take off car when not in use as it protrudes to far back from the car.

Any advice is welcomed
Sickman
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Re: Which Tow Bar Bike Rack Would Recommend

Postby philstar on Sun 25/Oct/15 11:42am

I would recommend a hitch type rack

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/T7C ... -bike-rack

if your car will take one

mate has one of these and likes it http://www.thule.co.nz/details.php?p_id ... rier__$569
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby Bigfoot on Sun 25/Oct/15 11:53am

philstar wrote:I would recommend a hitch type rack

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/T7C ... -bike-rack

if your car will take one

mate has one of these and likes it http://www.thule.co.nz/details.php?p_id ... rier__$569

Agreed - the towball ones seem less good... but that's not actually based on anything other than gut. :huh:
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Sickman on Sun 25/Oct/15 12:34pm

Cheers. Did not see those direct hitch mount ones. They would be stronger but the downside would be that they would fit on less cars. I am moving back to NZ from Perth next year so will be changing cars soon so would have to wait to see what I got as a tow bar on new second hand vehicle.
Sickman
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby RussS on Mon 26/Oct/15 5:42pm

I run the 3 rail version of this one.

http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/T7CA ... annel-rack

Not as flash as the Thule one but a decent option.
RussS
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby free_rider21 on Mon 26/Oct/15 6:44pm

On a slightly unrelated matter - does anyone have issues with the standard two prong bike racks (or other racks for that matter) on cars with twin exhausts and potential for popped tires (learnt the hard way many years ago).

I have recently transitioned to a Subaru and cannot find a way to position the bike (Giant Trance) out of the path of the exhausts. Any recommendations?

If you are looking for a prong rack - I highly recommend Narley racks, super strong and sturdy.
free_rider21
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby tanadog on Mon 26/Oct/15 8:47pm

If you are looking for a prong rack - I highly recommend Narley racks, super strong and sturdy.

+1 on that. Bomber.
tanadog
Member for: 6 years 7 months

Postby el_booto on Mon 26/Oct/15 9:23pm

free_rider21 wrote:On a slightly unrelated matter - does anyone have issues with the standard two prong bike racks (or other racks for that matter) on cars with twin exhausts and potential for popped tires (learnt the hard way many years ago).

I have recently transitioned to a Subaru and cannot find a way to position the bike (Giant Trance) out of the path of the exhausts. Any recommendations?

mount it higher on the rack...most of the guys i shuttle with have late model glorys, and have subbies. they hang them on the rocker between the seat tube and the "strut" detween the chain/seat stays and under the downtube just behing the headtube

that should get you above the exhausts and save from melted tyres (unless you have a 29error)
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby Trail on Tue 27/Oct/15 9:32am

Sickman wrote:Cheers. Did not see those direct hitch mount ones. They would be stronger but the downside would be that they would fit on less cars. I am moving back to NZ from Perth next year so will be changing cars soon so would have to wait to see what I got as a tow bar on new second hand vehicle.

Not that expensive to get a hitch fitted to a car to make it work... just saying coz I am thinking about the same stuff at the moment...
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Trail on Tue 27/Oct/15 9:38am

These North Shore racks are hands down the best I have used anywhere. Expensive to get here tho.

http://www.northshoreracks.com/

Otherwise I like the look of the Thule ones direct hitch that hold the wheels...

You guys heading for Wanaka?
Trail

Postby Wobbler on Tue 27/Oct/15 9:46am

Why are the hitch racks considered "stronger" in which way are they better than a ball(hur) mount one?

How many people have broken conventional mount racks in anyway?
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Trail on Tue 27/Oct/15 10:32am

The balls fatigue and can snap. I know of people who have snapped their balls with 3 pricey bikes at 100kph and watched them bounce off into a field in the rear view mirror. This is the reason that people strap the racks to the top of the rear door or roof racks.

The hitch is a stronger coupling for hanging something off the back of the car as fitting a square tube into a square tube with some overlap gives a bunch more material in contact than bolting something onto a ball. Also it can't swing side to side etc
Trail

Postby Percy Pig on Tue 27/Oct/15 10:39am

Trail wrote:The balls fatigue and can snap. I know of people who have snapped their balls with 3 pricey bikes at 100kph and watched them bounce off into a field in the rear view mirror. This is the reason that people strap the racks to the top of the rear door or roof racks.

The hitch is a stronger coupling for hanging something off the back of the car as fitting a square tube into a square tube with some overlap gives a bunch more material in contact than bolting something onto a ball. Also it can't swing side to side etc

What this guy said. :thumbsup:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby philstar on Tue 27/Oct/15 12:16pm

Trail wrote:The balls fatigue and can snap. I know of people who have snapped their balls with 3 pricey bikes at 100kph and watched them bounce off into a field in the rear view mirror. This is the reason that people strap the racks to the top of the rear door or roof racks.

trying to work out if you are saying, people strap to take tension off the ball (my understanding) or just encase they fall off so they don't get hit by following cars?

my main reason for liking hitch type probably stems from having a old ball type with only one bolt , and it used to spin.

to me it just seams like a non half ass solution, the bike rack is made to the job not to fit round a ball designed so that a trailer can pivot.
it should be easier to put on and off (and you are not left with a tow ball to hit your shin on) apart from the weight.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Tue 27/Oct/15 12:28pm

I'd still strap it even if it was a hitch mount with more than 2 bikes.
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Cycling | Cycling Accessories | Racks - Latest Posts