Re: Which Tow Bar Bike Rack Would Recommend

Postby philstar on Tue 27/Oct/15 12:37pm

Sickman wrote:Cheers. Did not see those direct hitch mount ones. They would be stronger but the downside would be that they would fit on less cars. I am moving back to NZ from Perth next year so will be changing cars soon so would have to wait to see what I got as a tow bar on new second hand vehicle.

you could go the easi grip modular rout

http://www.ezigrip.co.nz/product/outrig ... rt-7pf69c/

http://www.ezigrip.co.nz/product/7b12c- ... om-socket/

but they don't seem to sell in Australia? but it would solve the problem car flexibility problem.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby Wobbler on Tue 27/Oct/15 12:44pm

Trail wrote:The balls fatigue and can snap. I know of people who have snapped their balls with 3 pricey bikes at 100kph and watched them bounce off into a field in the rear view mirror. This is the reason that people strap the racks to the top of the rear door or roof racks.

The hitch is a stronger coupling for hanging something off the back of the car as fitting a square tube into a square tube with some overlap gives a bunch more material in contact than bolting something onto a ball. Also it can't swing side to side etc

:crazy: lovely!

I had never heard of the balls breaking before. Even with my percy rack bolted through the tongue (which itself is into dat hitch) I still strop it through the roof for some support.
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Trail on Tue 27/Oct/15 1:10pm

philstar wrote:
Trail wrote:The balls fatigue and can snap. I know of people who have snapped their balls with 3 pricey bikes at 100kph and watched them bounce off into a field in the rear view mirror. This is the reason that people strap the racks to the top of the rear door or roof racks.

trying to work out if you are saying, people strap to take tension off the ball (my understanding) or just encase they fall off so they don't get hit by following cars?

Mainly to take the tension/stress off the ball - although not hitting following cars is a good bonus!
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby fraserb on Tue 27/Oct/15 1:12pm

Breaking a tow ball would be super rare if the rack is fitted properly as the base should seat on the tongue of the tow bar which would put next to no twisting stress on the ball, more likely is - and have seen before - the tongue bends or breaks, a 4 bike rack full of 20kg DH bikes, especially the one right out on the tips when slightly bouncing while driving at 100kph put a fair bit of load on a bar that is only rated at 50 kgs. Always strap your rack back to the car.

I have just gone back to using a roof rack for bike transport mainly partly I got sick of not being able to used the hatch which the rack on, I know you can get extenders and hinged racks but IMHO that makes some of the above issues even worse.

something I really didnt expect was how much less drag there is with the bikes on the roof.

The other rack I would look at if getting another one would be
http://www.northshoreracks.com/
and the seasucker for a hatch back mainly cos they look fuckin awesome
fraserb
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby philstar on Tue 27/Oct/15 2:40pm

fraserb wrote:I know you can get extenders and hinged racks but IMHO that makes some of the above issues even worse.

extenders yes, hinges not rally (apart from some have the same effect as an extender)

fraserb wrote:something I really didnt expect was how much less drag there is with the bikes on the roof.

this goes against my intuition and experience. I noticed the change in fuel economy with roof rack on vs off (without a bike on the top). though on that car I so rarely drove it without a bike on the back that I would not ave a feel for the drag that that causes?
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby Wobbler on Tue 27/Oct/15 2:48pm

I can imagine a sedan being worse with it on the back vs roof, but I wouldnt expect a lot of station wagons (width depending) to get worse on the back vs the top
Wobbler

Postby Trail on Tue 27/Oct/15 4:22pm

Wobbler wrote:I can imagine a sedan being worse with it on the back vs roof, but I wouldnt expect a lot of station wagons (width depending) to get worse on the back vs the top

Quite a bit of drag from turbulent air behind a moving vehicle... a back rack may make this effect worse?
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Tue 27/Oct/15 4:50pm

Sedans have an extra space for drag vs a wagon: the volume between the rack, the boot and the back edge of the roof.
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby mudguard on Tue 27/Oct/15 6:46pm

My bike on the back of my Camry is worth 1-1.5L/100k. I drive a couple of work trips that are 1500k each month, it really is quite noticeable. Normally I can squeak into the low 7's, but with rack I cannot get below 8.5.
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Wobbler on Tue 27/Oct/15 7:05pm

How does that compare to having it on the roof?
Wobbler

Postby znomit on Tue 27/Oct/15 7:32pm

You mongrels. Keep your bike in the warm dry interior of the car. Put your family on the bus if you have to.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby matnz on Sun 1/Nov/15 7:55pm

Late to the party I know, but I have a Torpedo 7 channel rack (Three bike) and would not go back to a prong rack, especially if going though creek fords. One advantage is I can open the (swing) door of my 4x4 once the bikes are off, without removing the rack. The Torpedo 7 rack the first bike also clears the spare wheel, no need for extensions. One thing to consider is a good bike rack will last though many bikes. Think about how much time it can save loading and unloading and the way a good rack looks after the bikes better. Getting a really good one should be worth the cost in the long term. If I could afford it, I would get one of those $1000 European jobs.

Always strap any rack with more than 2 bikes, or any rack no matter how many bikes if going over rough or corrugated roads. The strap reduces the rotational motion that tow-bars are not designed for and eliminates the risk of fatigue induced tow ball or draw bar failure. Think of a loaded bike rack like a spring with no shocks, the strap acts as a shock.
matnz
Member for: 2 years 7 months

Postby Sickman on Thu 5/Nov/15 9:14pm

Trail wrote:These North Shore racks are hands down the best I have used anywhere. Expensive to get here tho.

http://www.northshoreracks.com/

Otherwise I like the look of the Thule ones direct hitch that hold the wheels...

You guys heading for Wanaka?

Crikey, did not realise this thread was still going as did not get an email update. (Did notice Vorb seems a lot quieter than a few years back).
I will have to program in getting a Northshore rack next time in North America. In the meantime .... went for the lockable towball two prong fold up and tilt one for versatility for all occasions.

Yes plan to move to Wanaka in a year and semi-retire as Sticky Forest caretaker since it will be a one minute ride away :thumbsup:
Sickman
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby BM75 on Tue 2/Feb/16 10:58pm

free_rider21 wrote:On a slightly unrelated matter - does anyone have issues with the standard two prong bike racks (or other racks for that matter) on cars with twin exhausts and potential for popped tires (learnt the hard way many years ago).

I have recently transitioned to a Subaru and cannot find a way to position the bike (Giant Trance) out of the path of the exhausts. Any recommendations?

If you are looking for a prong rack - I highly recommend Narley racks, super strong and sturdy.

I'm looking for a five bar rack to fit our Toyota Previa. I've tried a Narley rack and it was awesome but the fifth bike was right on the end. Looking at getting a Rock Racks Heavy Duty 5 Bike Rack http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/cycling ... 726667.htm

Do you know anyone with one of these? It is taller and the arm length is slightly longer but I have a funny feeling it may add a bit to much pressure onto tow bar. The effectiveness of a strap may be limited for me as it has to sit over a rear spoiler. I'm really keen to try one out before I buy it actually.
BM75
Member for: 1 year 10 months

Cycling | Cycling Accessories | Racks - Latest Posts