Which Road Rule Do You Dislike The Most?

Postby Tama on Thu 14/May/09 9:20am

I had a particularly slow ride to work and was pondering our current lot of road rules. Watching our current give way rules in action at busy intersections is quite exciting as drivers try to guess what everyone is doing. Being part of the whole experience on a bike just makes it scary.

So if I had a super magic power to change one road rule it would most definitely be our crappy, illogical give way rule - something which sensible folk have been trying to change for years:

http://www.aa.co.nz/aadirections/driver ... -Rule.aspx wrote:There is evidence that our give way rules are a factor in the 2,560 intersection crashes, and one or two deaths, each year.

This has been known in official circles for 10 years, but all efforts - by the Minister of Transport Safety, the Ministry of Transport, the Land Transport Agency, Police, local government, the Institution of Professional Engineers, Cyclists Advocates Network, Living Streets Aotearoa and the AA - to change the rule have been voted down by a Cabinet concerned it would be too hard for the public to cope with.

The current give way rule was introduced in 1977 and holds that a vehicle turning right takes precedence over a vehicle turning left. The rule came from Victoria, Australia originally to assist trams on Melbourne's streets.

But Victoria changed back in 1993 and experienced a decline in intersection crashes as a result.

Today, New Zealand is the only country in the world with this priority rule.

What's your pet hate?
right_hand_rule_current_sto.jpg
Current Give Way Rule
right_hand_rule_proposed_st.jpg
What it bloody well should be
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Re: Which Road Rule Do You Dislike The Most?

Postby big_d on Thu 14/May/09 9:23am

Maybe everyone should just follow the road rules as they are so there is no confusion :eh:

It's people that don't know or don't follow the road rules as they stand that are the problem! :angry:
Last edited by big_d on Thu 14/May/09 9:26am, edited 1 time in total.
big_d
"GIGAAANNNNNNTOOR!"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 14/May/09 9:26am

that right hand turn rule is a 'courtesy' to the people turning right. but it does hold true too with the whole "give way to your right" kinda... :eh:

as a cyclist, my pet most-disliked-rule is having to stop for red lights. i think, for cyclists, they should be treated the same way as Stop Signs. you (supposedly) come to a complete stop, but if its clear, get going. that way you're ahead of the traffic stream when it gets the green, keeping you out in full view, and safer.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Thu 14/May/09 9:27am

It's not so much a Road Rule but who was the mong that decided you should indicate when entering, and leaving, a roundabout even if you are going straight :crazy: WTF. 9/10 times the car indicating it's way out of the roundabout is on your right, and you are giving way to it anyway :blink: :blink: :blink:
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby xcmtb on Thu 14/May/09 9:28am

big_d wrote:Maybe everyone should just follow the road rules as they are so there is no confusion :eh:

It's people that don't know or don't follow the road rules as they stand that are the problem! :angry:
+1
xcmtb
"DFL - Dead Twazzicking Last!"
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby Trail on Thu 14/May/09 9:29am

The give way to the right rule is fucked. Half the people out there are too confused to actually use it properly.

The indicating at roundabouts is an absolute shambles as well. Again they have totally confused people and there is all sorts of stupid stuff going on because it is illogical. Also, on the small roundabouts there is often no time to indicate all your direction changes... on the bigger roundabouts it actually works ok.

Noise limits on cars need to be tightened up. Blow off valves need to be vented in a way that they do not make any noise and exhaust levels need to be lowered to 90DB from the current 95DB.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby bugle on Thu 14/May/09 9:30am

Indeed, there is enough going on at an intersection without having to twat around indicate when you are leaving the traffic flow
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Trail on Thu 14/May/09 9:30am

big_d wrote:Maybe everyone should just follow the road rules as they are so there is no confusion :eh:

how about the fact that the road rules like the give way to the right (which is a rule, not a courtesy) are counterintuitive and hard to understand so people are never going to understand them completely and so will never follow them completely??
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"

Postby Tama on Thu 14/May/09 9:32am

But the current give way rules require telepathy in some situations. For example - see the drawing below. If there's a car behind the red car at the top (let's call it the yellow car) then the blue car needs to guess if the yellow car is going to pass the red car and continue straight ahead(blue car gives way to yellow car, red car turns), or maybe the yellow car will wait for red car to turn (red car gives way to blue car, blue car turns) or maybe the yellow car is indicating that they are going to turn left as well but their indicator is hidden from the blue car by the red car and yet it's sitting out towards the middle of the road so the blue car is unsure if the yellow car is going to go straight ahead around the red car or not.

Now that's pretty clear isn't it?
right_hand_rule_current_sto.jpg
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby ThingOne on Thu 14/May/09 9:33am

Trail wrote: Blow off valves need to be vented in a way that they do not make any noise .

The Kidz wouldnt like them then, they serve no purpose other than to make noise.
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby iodi on Thu 14/May/09 9:34am

I hate the give-way-to-your-right-when-both-turning-right-at-an-uncontrolled-intersection rule. Most people seem to be oblivious to it.

I also hate the stupid people at roundabouts who indicate left then turn right, or vice-versa.
turn-right-giveway-r-turn.jpg
Last edited by iodi on Thu 14/May/09 9:35am, edited 1 time in total.
iodi
"I like dolphins"

Postby psychavoc on Thu 14/May/09 9:34am

swtchbckr wrote:as a cyclist, my pet most-disliked-rule is having to stop for red lights. i think, for cyclists, they should be treated the same way as Stop Signs. you (supposedly) come to a complete stop, but if its clear, get going. that way you're ahead of the traffic stream when it gets the green, keeping you out in full view, and safer.

My pet hate is cyclists that don't stop for red lights :hmmm: There was one this morning that I felt like throwing some verbal abuse at. It's the disregard of rules like that by a few that get motorists in general hating cyclists :hmmm:
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby big_d on Thu 14/May/09 9:35am

Trail wrote:Noise limits on cars need to be tightened up. Blow off valves need to be vented in a way that they do not make any noise and exhaust levels need to be lowered to 90DB from the current 95DB.

I agree with BOVs (they should be as with external waste gates - "plumbed in & not venting to the atmosphere")
But with the DB limit...NO! A lot of factory cars exceed the current 95db limit - so lowering it is only going to fuck it more.

Once again - the current law is fine, it's just how it is practiced and policed that is the problem.
big_d
"GIGAAANNNNNNTOOR!"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby ThingOne on Thu 14/May/09 9:36am

Whats the official line on coming up to a Traffic light thats red with no cars around to trigger the change to green?. Wait till enternity comes.
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby psychavoc on Thu 14/May/09 9:37am

ThingOne wrote:Whats the official line on coming up to a Traffic light thats red with no cars around to trigger the change to green?. Wait till enternity comes.

Wave your arms around silly :rolleyes:
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Cars | Cycle Commuting | Cycling | Motorcycles | Motoring | Road Cycling | Sifting - Latest Posts