Re: Which Road Rule Do You Dislike The Most?

Postby neels on Thu 14/May/09 9:01pm

Give way rules are pretty simple, if the other car hits you in the drivers door then you're in the wrong. I can't understand why people have so much trouble with it.

The 'education' campaign on indicating campaign has resulted in people being so confused that you have no idea what people are going to do, so you have to give way to everyone.
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby XCguy on Thu 14/May/09 9:08pm

Gavatron wrote:
You do not indicate when entering a roundabout if you are going straight ahead.

As the LTNZ website says:

[i]"When leaving the roundabout, you should signal left as you pass the exit before the one you intend taking.

So if you are going straight ahead you do not indicate entering the roundabout but must indicate that you are leaving it. But the wording above is unclear - what does "as you pass the exit before the one you intend taking". The information graphics I have seen are very clear though.

What is unclear about that? If you are using a standard 4 road round about... and going left you indicate left as you approach the round about. If going straight ahead you do no indicate at all 'till you are part way through the round about (where the 'left' exit is beside you), then indicate left. If turning right then indicate right as you approach the round about, then when you have the straight through exit on your left you indicate left. On bigger round abouts it's just the same - just indicate left as you pass the exit before the one you intend to take. Like you said, the graphics show this very clearly. Yet so many drivers indicate right then go straight ahead, or indicate left and then go staight ahead. Both of these have potential for accidents as other drivers expect your car to go where your indicators suggest it will go. I like what someone else suggested that we have to re-sit our practical every few years. Apart from the hassle and extra cost, it would make our roads safer.
XCguy
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby Paul_Bags on Thu 14/May/09 10:52pm

mfw wrote:Other stupid kiwi rule is the intersections where drivers get a green light to turn left at the same time as the pedestrian crossing around the corner - dumb! dunno if this is the same thing that Trail was going on about?

It mostly works ok when I'm the pedestrian. When I'm the cyclist it's: I wonder if that car realizes the lights turned green, and I hope he sees me and doesn't run me over when I overtake him, better watch him in that case OH FUCK WHY ARE THERE PEOPLE!! Yeah, more interested in watching out for my own safety.

Road rule that makes me moist? If theres a path or shortcut, I can probably ride it.
Paul_Bags
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby DD-Rick on Fri 15/May/09 8:21am

Looking at that picture. Can you tell if there is a stop or giveway line beneath the car. There might be, there might not. So which rule applies?
DD-Rick
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby thorg on Fri 15/May/09 8:26am

DD-Rick wrote:Looking at that picture. Can you tell if there is a stop or giveway line beneath the car. There might be, there might not. So which rule applies?
Change the law you still have the same problem. Somtimes road markings are obscured. Changing who has right of way at uncontrolled intersections will not solve this.
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby dented on Fri 15/May/09 8:45am

I'd have to say the rule I hate the most is the one I get ticketed for the most. Namely, the one about what the maximum speed is in any particular area.
dented
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Bigfoot on Fri 15/May/09 8:49am

All of them - I am a road libertarian.
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby DD-Rick on Fri 15/May/09 8:58am

thorg wrote:
DD-Rick wrote:Looking at that picture. Can you tell if there is a stop or giveway line beneath the car. There might be, there might not. So which rule applies?
Change the law you still have the same problem. Sometimes road markings are obscured. Changing who has right of way at uncontrolled intersections will not solve this.

OK, perhaps I should have stated that I think the whole uncontrolled intersection thing is stupid. Put Give Way lines at all intersection.
DD-Rick

Postby dented on Fri 15/May/09 9:00am

DD-Rick wrote:
thorg wrote:
Change the law you still have the same problem. Sometimes road markings are obscured. Changing who has right of way at uncontrolled intersections will not solve this.

OK, perhaps I should have stated that I think the whole uncontrolled intersection thing is stupid. Put Give Way lines at all intersection.

Would that not have the exact same effect as putting no giveway lines at any intersections, except you use more paint?
dented
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby iodi on Fri 15/May/09 9:05am

Bigfoot wrote:All of them - I am a road libertarian.

That has been tried: Why no road rules rule
It was successful in that it produced safer roads, for all types of users. But the trade-off was that traffic slowed to a crawl, so it was a disaster for productivity.
iodi
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby DD-Rick on Fri 15/May/09 9:18am

dented wrote:
DD-Rick wrote:
thorg wrote:

Would that not have the exact same effect as putting no giveway lines at any intersections, except you use more paint?

Quite possibly, but if you approached an intersection and you didn't have a give way line, you would know the other guy does.
DD-Rick

Postby thorg on Fri 15/May/09 9:35am

DD-Rick wrote:
dented wrote:
DD-Rick wrote:
thorg wrote:

Quite possibly, but if you approached an intersection and you didn't have a give way line, you would know the other guy does.
but what if you DID have a give way line? and the other guy also had one, but you couldnt see his, and he couldnt see yours

OH THE MADNESS! WONT SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDRENS!

Sorry, fixing broken rules by making more rules is seldom (if ever) the right thing to do.

And your example just plain sux :lol:
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby DD-Rick on Fri 15/May/09 9:46am

Not making more rules, just giving some consistency.
DD-Rick

Postby JKS on Fri 15/May/09 9:48am

This is a very entertaining thread!

Totally agree with mfw on his green lights giving the go ahead to traffic and pedestrians at the same time - crazy! To add to this and it's more of a road design thingy than a road rule but is it just in Lower Hutt that the designers were crazy enough to put pedestrian crossings on roundabouts or is it everywhere in NZ?
JKS
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby j2hyde on Fri 15/May/09 9:49am

Having been to a few places in asia where rules didn't appear to exist I cant say that I'm a big fan of the no rules concept.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Cars | Cycle Commuting | Cycling | Motorcycles | Motoring | Road Cycling | Sifting - Latest Posts