Re: Which Road Rule Do You Dislike The Most?

Postby Friendly Llama on Thu 14/May/09 1:54pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:
Buds wrote:How about a series of ads on TV teaching dumb people some basic road rules that are often broken or not known (because they are dumb) in an effort to educate. All road satety ads at the moment just show people dying in a gruesome manner and forget to educate. Shock value ads are only shocking the first time. A series of ads on the Give Way Rules would educate about half the population I reckon.

All Ive learned from those ads is that BA Falcons are unstable at any speed, and that people who own baches at the end of winding roads are likely to die. (either that or Commodores have become increasingly unstable over time, with the latest one so unstable you have to park it on its roof) That is the one that gets on my tits the most actually: the driver is shown enjoying himself, but not crossing the centre line, (presumably) not exceeding the speed limit (we have no information) and taking nice cornering lines. Yet we're supposed to believe that doing that (i.e. enjoying the activity, being engaged in it, doing it well) will lead to DEATH AND CARNAGE. Bull fucking shit. Oh, and it was made with my money. LTSA FAIL

And remember - avoid the roads that are scattered with landmines :thumbsup:
Friendly Llama
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Thu 14/May/09 1:54pm

mhbarber wrote:
psychavoc wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:as a cyclist, my pet most-disliked-rule is having to stop for red lights. i think, for cyclists, they should be treated the same way as Stop Signs. you (supposedly) come to a complete stop, but if its clear, get going. that way you're ahead of the traffic stream when it gets the green, keeping you out in full view, and safer.

My pet hate is cyclists that don't stop for red lights :hmmm: There was one this morning that I felt like throwing some verbal abuse at. It's the disregard of rules like that by a few that get motorists in general hating cyclists :hmmm:

no it's not. People who "hate cyclists" also hate other things.
1 cyclist failing to stop at a red light can't make any sane person hate all cyclists.
And we all need to try and not be too sanctimonious - I also dislike much cyclist behaviour but my own riding can be appalling too, and, we all make mistakes.

why would you assume anyone on the road was sane? surely the only rational operating assumption is that they are all crazed, P-ed up homicidal maniacs, whose only goal in life is to KILL YOU, then back over your body to make sure you are dead.

Thats the only reasonable modus operandi on NZ roads, with NZ drivers.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby thorg on Thu 14/May/09 1:58pm

ok, we have gone as far as we can with this topic, i propose we change it to;

which road rule makes you the most moist?
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Tama on Thu 14/May/09 2:05pm

thorg wrote:ok, we have gone as far as we can with this topic, i propose we change it to;

which road rule makes you the most moist?

I love the road rule that allows me to write swearwords on peoples cars with brake fluid when they cut me off :love:
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby j2hyde on Thu 14/May/09 2:14pm

iodi wrote:Education campaigns are largely a waste of money. How about requiring people to resit their driver's license every, say, 5 years? It would come as quite a shock to many people when they fail.

Ha! If the gubbiment are so gutless they can't change the retarded give way rule there's no way they'd even consider this. It's a reasonable idea though. People who operate machinery and a workers in variety of jobs are required to update their qualifications and demonstrate competence on a periodic basis.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby xcmtb on Thu 14/May/09 2:15pm

The rule that stops horse riders from munching up mountain bike tracks signposted with "no horses"
xcmtb
"DFL - Dead Twazzicking Last!"
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby frozen on Thu 14/May/09 4:23pm

iodi wrote:I hate the give-way-to-your-right-when-both-turning-right-at-an-uncontrolled-intersection rule. Most people seem to be oblivious to it.

Oops, forgot about that one... Funny, they still gave me a license here!
frozen
"It never gets easier, you just go faster."
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Postby XCguy on Thu 14/May/09 5:36pm

Conners wrote:For the millionth time, THERE WAS NO CHANGE IN THE RULES. IF YOU'RE GOING STRAIGHT THROUGH, YOU DO NOT INDICATE LEFT OR RIGHT AS YOU ENTER, YOU INDICATE LEFT AS YOU EXIT. IT IS FUCKING SIMPLE AND IT IS WHAT YOU WERE TAUGHT WHEN YOU LEARNT TO DRIVE AND NEVER CHANGED IN THE ROAD CODE.

Ezacary. Living in a city of roundabouts this is the thing that annoys me the most as it's SOOO simple yet so many drivers can't figure it out :o We just need half of Christchurch to read your response. If the Police started ticketing drivers who indicate incorrectly at roundabouts they'd really be in the money.
XCguy
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby ShoreBoy on Thu 14/May/09 6:04pm

Trail wrote: Blow off valves need to be vented in a way that they do not make any noise

I disagree. They let you know that a complete twat is coming, and you can thus avoid said twat.
ShoreBoy
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby nzmatto on Thu 14/May/09 6:15pm

I dis-like the 100kph speed limit on the open road. I think in some areas, like the desert road it should be 120 (or 200).
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby disoriented on Thu 14/May/09 7:12pm

nzmatto wrote:I dis-like the 100kph speed limit on the open road. I think in some areas, like the desert road it should be 120 (or 200).

Yeah but on the twisties on the desert rd every other V8 and SUV will crash, but i do like the idea
disoriented
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Postby Chickenman on Thu 14/May/09 7:15pm

The rule I hate the most is:

Treat cyclist like 2nd class citizens, they must swerved at, sworn at, cut off, and generally abused.

That's the rule I hate the most.
Chickenman
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby specializedman on Thu 14/May/09 7:56pm

I hate the rule that says people over the age off 40 shouldn't indicate at roundabouts, or alternatively should indicate the opposite way to that which they intend to go.

I think speed limits need to be higher, it is boring going 100km on anything but the most twisty roads.
specializedman
"I am a very biking boy."
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 14/May/09 7:59pm

take it from someone who has written off far too many cars, you should learn to walk before you run kiddo
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby Gavatron on Thu 14/May/09 8:42pm

edoubled wrote:NZ has two 'silly rules'.

The second one is equally silly but I've never seen anyone follow it:

Image.

I don't think it's silly at all. It's being consistent. Where the road and the supermarket car park meet is an intersection and the right hand rule applies. The problem is most NZers ignore it in this particular situation.

I think a lot of people have things in their heads that are wrong that they apply to their driving. I suspect in this case it is some idea from the distant past that a vehicle on a "main road" has precedence or it could be they simply do not recognise an intersection when they see one.
Last edited by Gavatron on Thu 14/May/09 9:26pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gavatron
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Cars | Cycle Commuting | Cycling | Motorcycles | Motoring | Road Cycling | Sifting - Latest Posts