Re: Which Road Rule Do You Dislike The Most?

Postby Bigfoot on Thu 14/May/09 12:03pm

Traffic laws - not rape laws.
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby thorg on Thu 14/May/09 12:09pm

phunk wrote:
iodi wrote:
thorg wrote:Please read the rules about overtaking, specifically where you CANNOT overtake (like withing 50m of pedestrian crossings, railway crossings, intersections etc).

Except in this situation: ('Give way activity cards', Land Transport NZ)

Which makes even more of a mockery of their rules when they contradict themselves.
Exactly!

In that situation you cannot know if the yellow car is overtaking or not, you are just presented with the outcome of a given situation. the turning car may indeed be undertaking the yellow car, we cannot know. Given what is in the picture, then of course the right turning car gives way.

If the yellow car 'was' overtaking and hits the right turning car, was it 'safe' to overtake a slowing and indicating vehicle at an intersection with a vehicle stationary at the centre line? it's all speculation.

As someone who drives a long/large vehicle, when indicating left I sometimes need to swing a long ways right before a can make the left turn. Any vehicle that decides to overtake me when I am indicating a left turn would get pushed into that stationary vehicle waiting to turn right. . . . .

Too many variables. For every situation there is a counter point. if we all just took a bit of thought and and DIDNT second guess other road users the rules would work fine.

bah, this is cyclical - getting nowhere - just like the road rules :lol:
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Thu 14/May/09 12:17pm

overthinking much?

the yellow car has right of way, it goes thru red car and blue car both give way. when he has gone then if blue car hasnt used the fact that red car is stopped and is shielded by the yellow car to go, then stupid he stops and red car goes because of the retarded rule we have here. the basic rule is If you go straight ahead you have right of way. Also if you have a bigger vehicle, or a more aggressive personality, or have a moustache, a shitty life and drive a Coonodore or Falcommode.

If you drive a decent car with side curtain airbags, roll cage and whatnot you can then (and should) DO WHATEVER THE FUCK YOU WANT.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 17 years 4 months

Postby Trail on Thu 14/May/09 12:49pm

gee I know why dont we all just buy bigger and bigger vehicles to constantly feel safe...
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby Buds on Thu 14/May/09 1:01pm

How about a series of ads on TV teaching dumb people some basic road rules that are often broken or not known (because they are dumb) in an effort to educate. All road satety ads at the moment just show people dying in a gruesome manner and forget to educate. Shock value ads are only shocking the first time. A series of ads on the Give Way Rules would educate about half the population I reckon.
Buds
User avatarMedal
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby iodi on Thu 14/May/09 1:07pm

Education campaigns are largely a waste of money. How about requiring people to resit their driver's license every, say, 5 years? It would come as quite a shock to many people when they fail.
iodi
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby xcmtb on Thu 14/May/09 1:11pm

ThingOne wrote:
xcmtb wrote:
ThingOne wrote:Whats the official line on coming up to a Traffic light thats red with no cars around to trigger the change to green?. Wait till enternity comes.
Get a real bike, not some carbon fibre thing.

:eh:
All the bikes I've ever had have no problem setting off the sensors at traffic lights, however I've heard that full carbon bikes do have an issue, since the lights use hall effect sensors or something like that.

swtchbckr wrote:[i admit i occasionally run reds (who the hell doesnt?!), but thats beside the point.
Me.
xcmtb
"DFL - Dead Twazzicking Last!"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby xcmtb on Thu 14/May/09 1:12pm

iodi wrote:Education campaigns are largely a waste of money. How about requiring people to resit their driver's license every, say, 5 years? It would come as quite a shock to many people when they fail.
+1 So long as the first sit is free. resits should cost as the people affected are the reason a rule like this would be needed.
xcmtb
"DFL - Dead Twazzicking Last!"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Tama on Thu 14/May/09 1:15pm

xcmtb wrote:
iodi wrote:Education campaigns are largely a waste of money. How about requiring people to resit their driver's license every, say, 5 years? It would come as quite a shock to many people when they fail.
+1 So long as the first sit is free. resits should cost as the people affected are the reason a rule like this would be needed.

Disqualification doesn't stop people like this from driving: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/2 ... k-in-court
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby iodi on Thu 14/May/09 1:20pm

Tama wrote:Disqualification doesn't stop people like this from driving: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/2 ... k-in-court

True, but most people on the roads think that they are good, law-abiding drivers. Many of them are wrong.
iodi
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby mfw on Thu 14/May/09 1:36pm

Tama wrote:
big_d wrote:Maybe everyone should just follow the road rules as they are so there is no confusion :eh:

It's people that don't know or don't follow the road rules as they stand that are the problem! :angry:

But the current give way rules require telepathy in some situations. For example - see the drawing below. If there's a car behind the red car at the top (let's call it the yellow car) then the blue car needs to guess if the yellow car is going to pass the red car and continue straight ahead(blue car gives way to yellow car, red car turns), or maybe the yellow car will wait for red car to turn (red car gives way to blue car, blue car turns) or maybe the yellow car is indicating that they are going to turn left as well but their indicator is hidden from the blue car by the red car and yet it's sitting out towards the middle of the road so the blue car is unsure if the yellow car is going to go straight ahead around the red car or not.

Now that's pretty clear isn't it?

EXACTLY. The rule is plain stupid. In rest of the world if you're the one turning right (in a drive-on-the-left country) you only have to calculate the gap to the oncoming cars - whether they are turning left or not, so MUCH simpler, no telepathy involved!

Other stupid kiwi rule is the intersections where drivers get a green light to turn left at the same time as the pedestrian crossing around the corner - dumb! dunno if this is the same thing that Trail was going on about?
mfw
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby mhbarber on Thu 14/May/09 1:45pm

psychavoc wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:as a cyclist, my pet most-disliked-rule is having to stop for red lights. i think, for cyclists, they should be treated the same way as Stop Signs. you (supposedly) come to a complete stop, but if its clear, get going. that way you're ahead of the traffic stream when it gets the green, keeping you out in full view, and safer.

My pet hate is cyclists that don't stop for red lights :hmmm: There was one this morning that I felt like throwing some verbal abuse at. It's the disregard of rules like that by a few that get motorists in general hating cyclists :hmmm:

no it's not. People who "hate cyclists" also hate other things.
1 cyclist failing to stop at a red light can't make any sane person hate all cyclists.
And we all need to try and not be too sanctimonious - I also dislike much cyclist behaviour but my own riding can be appalling too, and, we all make mistakes.
mhbarber

Postby mhbarber on Thu 14/May/09 1:47pm

xcmtb wrote:
ThingOne wrote:
xcmtb wrote:
ThingOne wrote:Whats the official line on coming up to a Traffic light thats red with no cars around to trigger the change to green?. Wait till enternity comes.
Get a real bike, not some carbon fibre thing.

:eh:
All the bikes I've ever had have no problem setting off the sensors at traffic lights, however I've heard that full carbon bikes do have an issue, since the lights use hall effect sensors or something like that.

swtchbckr wrote:[i admit i occasionally run reds (who the hell doesnt?!), but thats beside the point.
Me.

so you never break any traffic rules ever ?
mhbarber

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Thu 14/May/09 1:50pm

Buds wrote:How about a series of ads on TV teaching dumb people some basic road rules that are often broken or not known (because they are dumb) in an effort to educate. All road satety ads at the moment just show people dying in a gruesome manner and forget to educate. Shock value ads are only shocking the first time. A series of ads on the Give Way Rules would educate about half the population I reckon.

All Ive learned from those ads is that BA Falcons are unstable at any speed, and that people who own baches at the end of winding roads are likely to die. (either that or Commodores have become increasingly unstable over time, with the latest one so unstable you have to park it on its roof) That is the one that gets on my tits the most actually: the driver is shown enjoying himself, but not crossing the centre line, (presumably) not exceeding the speed limit (we have no information) and taking nice cornering lines. Yet we're supposed to believe that doing that (i.e. enjoying the activity, being engaged in it, doing it well) will lead to DEATH AND CARNAGE. Bull fucking shit. Oh, and it was made with my money. LTSA FAIL
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 17 years 4 months

Postby danose on Thu 14/May/09 1:53pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:Yet we're supposed to believe that doing that (i.e. enjoying the activity, being engaged in it, doing it well) will lead to DEATH AND CARNAGE.

didn't you get the LTSA memo - driving is very very very serious - to this end all cars are going to be replaced with Nissan Micras that have had the drivers seat removed and replaced with a pointy stick. Try enjoying that sucker :p
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Cars | Cycle Commuting | Cycling | Motorcycles | Motoring | Road Cycling | Sifting - Latest Posts