Re: Which Road Rule Do You Dislike The Most?

Postby phunk on Thu 14/May/09 11:27am

iodi wrote:
thorg wrote:
phunk wrote:
iodi wrote:
big_d wrote:If the yellow car over took the turning red car and hit the blue car... then the yellow car is in the wrong!
It is a courtesy thing and often solved with a simple hand gesture LOL.

Incorrect. That would mean that the turning blue car had failed to give way to yellow car travelling straight ahead. The blue car would be in the wrong.

Actually no, if it is a single lane then any cars behind a left turning vehicle also have to give way to the right turning vehicle.
Bingo - Phunk is right (yet again).

in this example the yellow car is a red herring :-D neiother the red nor blue car should have to consider it in their decision making process as it is supposed to NOT overtake the turning car, therefore by default is to give way also.

the fact that most people do have to consider the 'yellow car scenario' is because in most cases the people on the roads are too impatient to obey road rules. (saying that 99% of the time the yellow car drivers swing into oncoming traffic to overtake a turning vehicle at an intersection - which they shouldnt do).

Yes, if there is insufficient room to overtake the left turning vehicle, then the straight through vehicle will have to wait for the right turning vehicle. However, there are many single lane roads that are wide enough for the straight through vehicle to pass safely - in that situation the right turning vehicle must give way.

Looks like they have changed teh road code, but its still not technically correct as I understood it.
http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/roadco ... tions.html
phunk
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Trail on Thu 14/May/09 11:28am

DD-Rick wrote:Turning left of a red would involve a conflict with pedestrian crossing.

I have conflict with pedestrian crossings on green lights when turning left... it would be no different. Driver would have to give way to the people on the pedestrian crossing, just like we currently have to...
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Thu 14/May/09 11:30am

j2hyde wrote:As for roundabouts, the rules may be simple but plenty of people have no idea how to follow them.

agree entirely re the give way rule.

as for roundabouts, ive got in the habit of randomly putting the blinkers on while going round any roundabout. a few blinks here, a few bilinks there, here a few, there a few etc.

I've never had an accident at a roundabout so its obviously working.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 17 years 7 months

Postby thorg on Thu 14/May/09 11:32am

iodi wrote:
thorg wrote:
phunk wrote:
iodi wrote:
big_d wrote:If the yellow car over took the turning red car and hit the blue car... then the yellow car is in the wrong!
It is a courtesy thing and often solved with a simple hand gesture LOL.

Incorrect. That would mean that the turning blue car had failed to give way to yellow car travelling straight ahead. The blue car would be in the wrong.

Actually no, if it is a single lane then any cars behind a left turning vehicle also have to give way to the right turning vehicle.
Bingo - Phunk is right (yet again).

in this example the yellow car is a red herring :-D neiother the red nor blue car should have to consider it in their decision making process as it is supposed to NOT overtake the turning car, therefore by default is to give way also.

the fact that most people do have to consider the 'yellow car scenario' is because in most cases the people on the roads are too impatient to obey road rules. (saying that 99% of the time the yellow car drivers swing into oncoming traffic to overtake a turning vehicle at an intersection - which they shouldnt do).

Yes, if there is insufficient room to overtake the left turning vehicle, then the straight through vehicle will have to wait for the right turning vehicle. However, there are many single lane roads that are wide enough for the straight through vehicle to pass safely - in that situation the right turning vehicle must give way.
Please read the rules about overtaking, specifically where you CANNOT overtake (like withing 50m of pedestrian crossings, railway crossings, intersections etc).
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby psychavoc on Thu 14/May/09 11:32am

phunk wrote:
psychavoc wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:as a cyclist, my pet most-disliked-rule is having to stop for red lights. i think, for cyclists, they should be treated the same way as Stop Signs. you (supposedly) come to a complete stop, but if its clear, get going. that way you're ahead of the traffic stream when it gets the green, keeping you out in full view, and safer.

My pet hate is cyclists that don't stop for red lights :hmmm: There was one this morning that I felt like throwing some verbal abuse at. It's the disregard of rules like that by a few that get motorists in general hating cyclists :hmmm:

Start a group.

Oh! We could ride really slowly down the main streets at peak traffic time on the last Friday of each month!! :thumbsup:
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby phunk on Thu 14/May/09 11:41am

psychavoc wrote:
phunk wrote:
psychavoc wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:as a cyclist, my pet most-disliked-rule is having to stop for red lights. i think, for cyclists, they should be treated the same way as Stop Signs. you (supposedly) come to a complete stop, but if its clear, get going. that way you're ahead of the traffic stream when it gets the green, keeping you out in full view, and safer.

My pet hate is cyclists that don't stop for red lights :hmmm: There was one this morning that I felt like throwing some verbal abuse at. It's the disregard of rules like that by a few that get motorists in general hating cyclists :hmmm:

Start a group.

Oh! We could ride really slowly down the main streets at peak traffic time on the last Friday of each month!! :thumbsup:

Thats the best way of showing drivers that you are good law abiding citizens, how could they hate you after that!!
phunk

Postby Bigfoot on Thu 14/May/09 11:44am

Trail wrote:
DD-Rick wrote:Turning left of a red would involve a conflict with pedestrian crossing.

I have conflict with pedestrian crossings on green lights when turning left... it would be no different. Driver would have to give way to the people on the pedestrian crossing, just like we currently have to...

Exactly - we have laws against vehicular homicide here as well, and we have no problems with the right on red rule :)
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"

Postby DD-Rick on Thu 14/May/09 11:45am

Trail wrote:

But the crossing pedestrians could be obscured by a vehicle on your right waiting at the red.
The only time this would safely work is an isolated pedestrian phase, which would increase the waiting time for traffic.

Just step off the bike walk round the corner and get back on again.
DD-Rick
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby j2hyde on Thu 14/May/09 11:49am

That's a non issue. It basically works as a stop sign.

Note that all of Nth amerika uses this rule (just turning right as they drive on the wrong side) and it's the same in Aust, where signposted.

It works well there, and would work well here. All it takes is for the transport bureaucrats to move out of the 70's.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby DD-Rick on Thu 14/May/09 11:53am

j2hyde wrote:

That's a non issue. It basically works as a stop sign.

Note that all of Nth amerika uses this rule (just turning right as they drive on the wrong side) and it's the same in Aust, where signposted.

It works well there, and would work well here. All it takes is for the transport bureaucrats to move out of the 70's.

I don't know how the Amercan ped crossing work, so someone please enlighten me. Ours go green with the traffic flow in the same direction.

If you treated the red light as a stop sign, you would be 3m back from the intersection with vehicles on your right obscuring your view of oncoming traffic. Therefore to see if you could proceed left you would have to drive onto the ped crossing where a conflict would exist.
DD-Rick
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby iodi on Thu 14/May/09 11:54am

thorg wrote:Please read the rules about overtaking, specifically where you CANNOT overtake (like withing 50m of pedestrian crossings, railway crossings, intersections etc).

Except in this situation: ('Give way activity cards', Land Transport NZ)
give-way-activity-cards.png
iodi
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Bigfoot on Thu 14/May/09 11:55am

It is only allowed if clear and safe to do so... its a common sense thing.
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"

Postby phunk on Thu 14/May/09 11:57am

iodi wrote:
thorg wrote:Please read the rules about overtaking, specifically where you CANNOT overtake (like withing 50m of pedestrian crossings, railway crossings, intersections etc).

Except in this situation: ('Give way activity cards', Land Transport NZ)

Which makes even more of a mockery of their rules when they contradict themselves.
phunk

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Thu 14/May/09 12:00pm

DD-Rick wrote:
I don't know how the Amercan ped crossing work, so someone please enlighten me.

From my experience it involves walking out into traffic and hoping for the best.
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 17 years 2 months

Postby happybaboon on Thu 14/May/09 12:00pm

I dislike how it's your fault if you intentionally ram someone from behind because they're being a turd.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Cars | Cycle Commuting | Cycling | Motorcycles | Motoring | Road Cycling | Sifting - Latest Posts