Re: Which Road Rule Do You Dislike The Most?

Postby bugle on Thu 14/May/09 10:25am

big_d wrote:
Trail wrote:Noise limits on cars need to be tightened up. Blow off valves need to be vented in a way that they do not make any noise and exhaust levels need to be lowered to 90DB from the current 95DB.

I agree with BOVs (they should be as with external waste gates - "plumbed in & not venting to the atmosphere")
But with the DB limit...NO! A lot of factory cars exceed the current 95db limit - so lowering it is only going to fuck it more.

Once again - the current law is fine, it's just how it is practiced and policed that is the problem.

Internal plumb back reduces efficiency, venting to atmosphere is 'relatively' quiet. What needs to be addressed is the silly shaped/trumpet BOV's that make extra noise for the sake of it
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 17 years 4 months

Postby edoubled on Thu 14/May/09 10:34am

Conners wrote:I see (and use) your second (equally silly) rule all the time? :eh: (they are both uncontrolled right? Why would you not give way there?)

Maybe i'm getting confused between controlled and uncontrolled intersections. If there is a give way sign for the red car, does the rule still apply?

If there's no road markings at all then you essentially treat it like a roundabout (give way to your right) so yes, that would make sense. But that picture from the road code doesn't look to fit that to me. :eh:

But either way, in four years of driving in NZ I've never seen it followed.

Silly rules... :p
edoubled
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby phunk on Thu 14/May/09 10:38am

psychavoc wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:as a cyclist, my pet most-disliked-rule is having to stop for red lights. i think, for cyclists, they should be treated the same way as Stop Signs. you (supposedly) come to a complete stop, but if its clear, get going. that way you're ahead of the traffic stream when it gets the green, keeping you out in full view, and safer.

My pet hate is cyclists that don't stop for red lights :hmmm: There was one this morning that I felt like throwing some verbal abuse at. It's the disregard of rules like that by a few that get motorists in general hating cyclists :hmmm:

Start a group.
phunk
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Lozz on Thu 14/May/09 10:39am

The problem is not the road rules. The problem is dumb people. They ruin everything!!!! :angry:
Lozz
"Shaven and misbehave'n"
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby Bigfoot on Thu 14/May/09 10:41am

Can you guys turn left on red lights? That's a good one :)
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby Trail on Thu 14/May/09 10:42am

edoubled wrote:
Conners wrote:I see (and use) your second (equally silly) rule all the time? :eh: (they are both uncontrolled right? Why would you not give way there?)

Maybe i'm getting confused between controlled and uncontrolled intersections. If there is a give way sign for the red car, does the rule still apply?

If there's no road markings at all then you essentially treat it like a roundabout (give way to your right) so yes, that would make sense. But that picture from the road code doesn't look to fit that to me. :eh:

if intesection has a give way... then it is controlled.

No road marking (i.e. often turning into a shops off street car park) then it is uncontrolled.

I see people obey this rule occasionally, and am often so surprised that someone is obeying the rule that it takes me a while to realise.

One thing that has been mentioned to me is that drivers in Chch do obey the give way to the right rule a lot more than the Auckland drivers. I think the sheer volume of traffic often means that Auckland drivers hardly ever have to use the give way to the right thing and so forget about it.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Trail on Thu 14/May/09 10:43am

Bigfoot wrote:Can you guys turn left on red lights? That's a good one :)

Now that is a rule I like and would like to see introduced.

No we are not currently allowed to do that. That would be called "running a red light" and you could get fined for it.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby phunk on Thu 14/May/09 10:44am

iodi wrote:
big_d wrote:If the yellow car over took the turning red car and hit the blue car... then the yellow car is in the wrong!
It is a courtesy thing and often solved with a simple hand gesture LOL.

Incorrect. That would mean that the turning blue car had failed to give way to yellow car travelling straight ahead. The blue car would be in the wrong.

Actually no, if it is a single lane then any cars behind a left turning vehicle also have to give way to the right turning vehicle.
phunk
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby danose on Thu 14/May/09 10:50am

big_d wrote:It's people that don't know or don't follow the road rules as they stand that are the problem! :angry:

not at all -the current give way rule relies on your knowing what the car behind you is doing - is it also turning left (in which case you give way to the person turning right) or are they going straight thru. This is what leads to the most intersection chaos - it's a bloody silly (and dangerous) rule and long due to be repealed
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Conners on Thu 14/May/09 10:53am

Trail wrote:
edoubled wrote:

if intesection has a give way... then it is controlled.

No road marking (i.e. often turning into a shops off street car park) then it is uncontrolled.

Yip, and don't forget the order of authority of road markings as well. Stop>Give Way>Uncontrolled ;)
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby thorg on Thu 14/May/09 10:59am

phunk wrote:
iodi wrote:
big_d wrote:If the yellow car over took the turning red car and hit the blue car... then the yellow car is in the wrong!

Incorrect. That would mean that the turning blue car had failed to give way to yellow car travelling straight ahead. The blue car would be in the wrong.

Actually no, if it is a single lane then any cars behind a left turning vehicle also have to give way to the right turning vehicle.
Bingo - Phunk is right (yet again).

in this example the yellow car is a red herring :-D neiother the red nor blue car should have to consider it in their decision making process as it is supposed to NOT overtake the turning car, therefore by default is to give way also.

the fact that most people do have to consider the 'yellow car scenario' is because in most cases the people on the roads are too impatient to obey road rules. (saying that 99% of the time the yellow car drivers swing into oncoming traffic to overtake a turning vehicle at an intersection - which they shouldnt do).
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 14/May/09 11:00am

Bigfoot wrote:Can you guys turn left on red lights? That's a good one :)

no. we cant. but it is a good one. again. like the red lights not applying to cyclists, if we had the free left turn on red rule, and you were on a bike, you could hang a left, and then pull a swifty U turn and hang another left and it would be just like you'd run the red light... haha..

and above, i was saying i dont like not being able to ride thru red lights when there's no traffic, thereby putting myself ahead of the mongs waiting at the lights and out of danger of being crushed into parked cars over the intersection, i wasnt saying i habitually run reds...

i admit i occasionally run reds (who the hell doesnt?!), but thats beside the point.

and Oli has it absolutley right. it doesnt make drivers hate cyclists, it just makes the ones that already hate cyclists feel vindicated in hating us.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby DD-Rick on Thu 14/May/09 11:06am

phunk wrote:Actually no, if it is a single lane then any cars behind a left turning vehicle also have to give way to the right turning vehicle.

Correct, but as always the NZ motorist has no patience and overtakes.

Being a UK import and having to sit the driving test, I'm probably the newest qualified driver in this discussion.

Why should it be my responsibility to decide what someone else may or may not do. It should be X or Y not X or possibly Y if Z is about to occur, then W applies.
AND why should I have to look for a road marking that may or may not exist under a car to see if they have the right to turn right before I do.

As many people have said too ambiguous, and I cannot see why it is just not changed and tough if stupid people crash into cars.

Turning left of a red would involve a conflict with pedestrian crossing.
DD-Rick
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby j2hyde on Thu 14/May/09 11:09am

Trail wrote:The give way to the right rule is fucked. Half the people out there are too confused to actually use it properly.

The indicating at roundabouts is an absolute shambles as well. Again they have totally confused people and there is all sorts of stupid stuff going on because it is illogical. Also, on the small roundabouts there is often no time to indicate all your direction changes... on the bigger roundabouts it actually works ok.

Noise limits on cars need to be tightened up. Blow off valves need to be vented in a way that they do not make any noise and exhaust levels need to be lowered to 90DB from the current 95DB.

Agree 100%

Importing a dumb rule from victoria for fuck knows what reason (where in NZ has a tram system like melbourne???) then refusing to change it because that would be "too hard" when even the victorians were smart enough to change back is utterly retarded.

Why the hell would the public have trouble understanding a change in the rules when half of them don't know how the current one works anyway?

What makes it even funnier is the gubbiment love to support campains to stop fatigue/alcohol/speed related accidents but they can't make the most simple and obvious change which would achieve exactly that purpose.

As for roundabouts, the rules may be simple but plenty of people have no idea how to follow them.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby iodi on Thu 14/May/09 11:20am

thorg wrote:
phunk wrote:
iodi wrote:

Bingo - Phunk is right (yet again).

in this example the yellow car is a red herring :-D neiother the red nor blue car should have to consider it in their decision making process as it is supposed to NOT overtake the turning car, therefore by default is to give way also.

the fact that most people do have to consider the 'yellow car scenario' is because in most cases the people on the roads are too impatient to obey road rules. (saying that 99% of the time the yellow car drivers swing into oncoming traffic to overtake a turning vehicle at an intersection - which they shouldnt do).

Yes, if there is insufficient room to overtake the left turning vehicle, then the straight through vehicle will have to wait for the right turning vehicle. However, there are many single lane roads that are wide enough for the straight through vehicle to pass safely - in that situation the right turning vehicle must give way.
iodi
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Cars | Cycle Commuting | Cycling | Motorcycles | Motoring | Road Cycling | Sifting - Latest Posts