Wheres All The Cycle Tourers!

Postby foremannz on Fri 3rd Aug 6:03pm

I finally managed my first attempt at touring, although having to cut the the route plan in half due to injury.
I'm currently building a new touring bike that is potentially more suitable than the mountainbike I used, hopefully a good 5kg lighter than the mountainbike!

I do have a question though - what are people running in terms of gear ratios?

I am going to start with a Tiagra 3x10 setup with a 11-32t cassette, but going by my initial experiences with NZs country roads, I am looking to go as low as a 11-36t cassette while retaining my Tiagra triple crankset.
On the Mountainbike I was running 36/22 chainset with a 11-36T cassette, and while I did enjoy the extra low gear, I think my 50/39/30 chainset with an 11-36t would still be manageable!

Other tweeks going on the new bike include:
- a 2.5cm reduction in my current crank length - trial and error to see if it helps with knee stress on the longer rides
- a Salsa Cowchipper 44cm, 2cm wider than my road bike bars - I'm wanting a bit more stability over my usual road bar width, as well as to open my chest up a bit more, and I'm hoping the added drop angle will reduce my wrist rotation when changing gears ...
foremannz
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Re: Wheres All The Cycle Tourers!

Postby Tugboat on Fri 3rd Aug 8:33pm

Interested in how your build goes.

I'm currently shortlisting gravel bikes with a view to do some multi-day bike packing over summer (e.g. four day loop Picton - Hanmer Springs (via Molesworth) - St Arnaud - Picton). Was thinking I'd most likely go with a mechanical Ultegra compact 50-34 and 11-34 cassette. Hadn't thought about crank length much but a reduction from my usual 175mm does make sense to keep things easier on the knees.
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby foremannz on Sun 19th Aug 12:25pm

Got myself some Wolftooth B-Rad bits as well (3 slot and 4 slot bases, as well as double bottle adapter) - trying to run 3x 700ml bottles on the frame, so I'll try a few different setup combinations. One thing I'm trying to resist is having the bottle nozzles in the path of the front tire spray, but I think I can fit 2 inline on the downtube and 1 on the seattube - should find out if it still works on my frame after I fit the mounting bases!

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/col ... ory-device

Photos of the whole setup is perhapse only a couple of weeks away now ... its not really photogenic atm :lol:
foremannz

Postby foremannz on Wed 22nd Aug 6:14pm

Bit of a progress update on my build - starting to take shape now!
IMG_1838 - Copy.JPG
Progress update mid August
foremannz

Postby pushbikerider on Wed 22nd Aug 6:19pm

Looking good, can you lower the bottle on the seat tube to maybe fit a bag under the top tube?
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby foremannz on Wed 22nd Aug 6:57pm

There will be a tool tube going on the bottom in another bottle cage - I couldn't fit 2x 700ml bottles inline, so its the next best use for the space.
foremannz

Postby Tugboat on Fri 24th Aug 3:41pm

Looks like a good build.

No issues with the knees hitting the bottles on the downtube?

I ordered an 8bar Mitte adventure bike acouple of weeks ago. It is being built up and expected to be ready late-September. Hoping it'll be a good choice for some epic day-long and multi-day gravel rides that I've got planned for over summer.
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"

Postby foremannz on Fri 24th Aug 4:34pm

Unsure about the knee spacing at present - will get it assembled and then test if the dual bottle setup works.
Bike is currently at the LBS to test fit a MTB triple crank on the front, to see if it works with the Tiagra shifters - if so, this will fix an issue with having a low enough gear.
foremannz

Postby foremannz on Mon 27th Aug 6:54pm

Now rocking a mountainbike crank! My LBS were able to get it running right, with a couple of tweeks - essentially, I now have a 40/30/22t triple ring crank, with a 11-32t cassette ... not sure if I need anything lower now :D
IMG_1843_med.jpg
Deore 3x10 MTB crank and derailleur controlled by a Tiagra 3x10 lever - working well!
foremannz

Postby Tugboat on Tue 28th Aug 10:11am

What's the handlebar? Salsa Cowchipper? I'm assuming something with 24 degree flair.

I'm tossing up between 12 degree and 24 degree so interested in how you find it, particularly in the drops on gravel roads.
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"

Postby jo on Tue 28th Aug 10:26am

I've got a week in November to do something with. Was thinking a cycle tour including the Forgotten Highway (Taranaki). Does anyone have any loop routes in the region that doesnt overlap much with milk tankers? :paranoid:

Not sure which bike. The Straggler is geared too high for loaded off-road (maybe get a wolf-tooth?). The Karate Monkey might finally have to get finished....
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby foremannz on Tue 28th Aug 4:22pm

Tugboat wrote:What's the handlebar? Salsa Cowchipper? I'm assuming something with 24 degree flair.
I'm tossing up between 12 degree and 24 degree so interested in how you find it, particularly in the drops on gravel roads.

Hi Tugboat, yes, its a Cowchipper - I looked at a Cowbell, but it didn't seem enough flair for the more difficult roads.
foremannz

Postby Tugboat on Wed 29th Aug 9:18am

jo wrote:I've got a week in November to do something with. Was thinking a cycle tour including the Forgotten Highway (Taranaki). Does anyone have any loop routes in the region that doesnt overlap much with milk tankers? :paranoid:

Not sure which bike. The Straggler is geared too high for loaded off-road (maybe get a wolf-tooth?). The Karate Monkey might finally have to get finished....

Jo, One idea I've been toying with is a loop from Whanganui - National Park (via the River Road), National Park to Taumaranui (via Turangi and then SH41 over the Waituhi Saddle), Forgotten World Highway to Stratford and then back to Whanganui. That'd fill 4 days and could be broken down further to fill a week.

The only busy part would be SH3 between Stratford and Whanganui. But there are options (adding a few ks) that could avoid SH3 from Stratford to just south of Hawera and then you can easily get off it again at Maxwell or Kai Iwi back into Whanganui).

I rode the Forgotten World Highway in both directions as an overnighter two years ago and it is a fantastic ride. Easily doable on my road bike (50x34, 11-32). Here's some photos https://flic.kr/s/aHskEiDFyw

Dan Carruthers did a great blog / photo essay for Cycling Tips on the Forgotten World Highway and cycle trail out to New Plymouth https://cyclingtips.com/2012/04/new-zea ... d-highway/
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"

Postby foremannz on Thu 20th Sep 9:48pm

Its finished! I quite like the ride too :)
foremannz

Postby Tugboat on Sun 23rd Sep 12:17pm

Looks great. Look forward to some reports here of your travels on it over summer.
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"

Cycle Touring | Cycling - Latest Posts