Where To Ride- Wanaka?

Postby VERT on Tue 8/Mar/11 7:42pm

In Wanaka for a couple days, want to hit the trails tomorrow. I hear there is a mountainbike park called sticky forrest, where else is there to ride thats good?
VERT
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Re: Where To Ride- Wanaka?

Postby thelongwalk on Tue 8/Mar/11 8:11pm

Sticky forest is good but try to nab a local to take you there as its a warren, if you cross the clutha river past albert town going west to the west coast I'm told there is a new loop of single track just over the bridge that follows the lake around to the left- told it was really good. And if you feel like shuttling and like a 1000 meter grade 4 and 5 descent then check out the snow farm, opposite cardrona ski field, series fun downhill, just take some big tyres as I kept blowing me tubes on the rock. You will need someone to drive the car for you- afterwards a beer at the cardona pub at the bottom.
thelongwalk
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 8/Mar/11 9:46pm

Sticky is indeed good, and +1 to getting local help, you will find fun trails without one, but [as always] better with...

the Dean's Bank track longwalk mentions is great - xc flowy, fun for groups with differing abilities, and is much longer than anything in sticky.

would offer to show you around, but I seem to have moved to welly.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Tue 8/Mar/11 10:01pm

It's the motatapu this weekend. So will be a few bikers around and perhaps a few special things planned through shops to take advantage of increased demand. Drop into shops/look for brochures?
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Cycling | Lower South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Otago | Regions | Wanaka - Latest Posts