Where To Ride On The West Coast??

Postby albeer on Tue 20/Jul/10 8:09pm

Howdy we (6) of us are planning to some riding in the west coast in november,were looking at the cragie burn croesus and moonlight tracks maybe denniston,kirwans? Were planning to fly to chch thursday do cragieburn stay greymouth/blackball reefton for a few days return monday, any help would be awesome,if your keen ride with us. show us your back yard!
thanks Al
albeer
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Re: Where To Ride On The West Coast??

Postby Trail on Tue 20/Jul/10 9:33pm

Write up + photos of Croesus and Kirwans from a while back

http://mountainbikingzane.wordpress.com ... 09-part-1/

http://mountainbikingzane.wordpress.com ... 09-part-2/

Let me know what dates you are planning on, and I will let you know if I can show you the trails.

Accommodation at the pub Formerly the Blackball Hilton is probably good for 1 or 2 nights sleeps. Pretty quaint and not high end, but friendly and have reasonable beer and food. I would head over there after riding Craigieburn, then do Croesus the next day, stay the night again then trundle up to Reefton to hit up Kirwans, or over to Westport to hit up Denniston. Will depend on how fit you are feeling as Kirwans is a big haul to get to the top, where as you can pick and choose tracks up Denniston. Can find accommodation in Reefton/Westport for those nights (sorry I do not know where is good tho).
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Trail on Tue 20/Jul/10 9:42pm

The guys on this forum probably have a better handle on Denniston tracks etc. and should be able to suggest accommodation and people keen to show you the tracks. There are some ride photos up on there too :thumbsup:

http://www.bullermtb.com/
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby AdamMTB on Wed 21/Jul/10 7:59pm

Trail wrote:http://www.bullermtb.com/

Hey Al

If you're looking for some local riders to join or just some tracks to hit up send me a message or contact us through our forum. We're always up for a ride! No shortage of great trails around.

Adam
AdamMTB
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Sickman on Thu 22/Jul/10 4:03am

Charming Creek need Denniston is also good especially in a down pour which you may get at that time of the year. But all those tracks you can ride in the wet.
Sickman
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby albeer on Thu 22/Jul/10 5:22pm

Thanks for the info ,we are sorting out which tracks to do for$80 per head +gst we can get a chopper to the top of kirwans ,croesus is a go and denniston is a maybe, and peaking ridge in nelson on the way back,so much to choose form
albeer

Postby AdamMTB on Thu 22/Jul/10 7:01pm

Kirwan's is an awesome ride, worth the helicopter in my opinion. Croesus is equally as good, I personally wouldn't helicopter up though ($100/head). Denniston is great and a landscape unlike anything you've ridden before if you haven't been there.

Only a fraction of your options :) If it rains, which Spring is our wettest time, you can always ride Denniston, if you can cause erosion up there, good luck. Croesus is more fun in the wet then Kirwan's, especially the top section of Kirwans!
AdamMTB
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Sickman on Fri 23/Jul/10 3:27am

AdamMTB wrote:.... if you can cause erosion up there, good luck....

That is because it is mostly bedrock
Sickman
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 23/Jul/10 9:44am

coupla fun wee rides near Kaniere too.

HIGHLY recommend Denniston.

:thumbsup: craigieburn, time for Wharfdale too???
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby albeer on Fri 23/Jul/10 11:49pm

craigieburn is on hold were going to hang round the blackball ,reefton, denniston(hopefully ) area
albeer

Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions | West Coast - Latest Posts