Where To Live, Taupo Or Rotorua?

Postby bretto on Mon 2/Apr/07 10:26am

Hi...I'm an Aussie currently living and working in Wellington, but am thinking of moving to Taupo or Rotorua, more likely Roto for the trails and more work opportunities. What are rents like for 1 br flats, or share accom? Cheers, Brett.
bretto
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby Sims on Mon 2/Apr/07 10:34am

Taupo is much nicer. (I grew up in Taupo). There are defiantly rough areas in both, but Rotorua seems to have more. I tend to feel unsafe in rotorua, plus you have the rotten egg/sulphur smell to contend with. On the plus side Rotorua does have some very good trail riding.

All trails in the central north island and 100% rideable all year round. The soil is mostly made up of pumice. (from the lake Taupo eruption. See wikipedia). Pumice is extremely porous, and as such all the land drains very well.

Taupo also has significant amounts of good local riding. Plus other classics, like the 42 traverse, or Waihaha hut, are closer. You're also closer to Ruapehu, if you like to ski.

All in all, the distance is only about 20mins between the two. But i'd much rather live in Taupo. Any questions about the region, fire away

:)

Chur. Simon
Sims
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby argsy on Mon 2/Apr/07 10:55am

If you were leaning towards Rotorua then I would throw Tauranga / Mt Maunganui into the mix aswell. Probably more work opportunities than either Rotorua or Taupo depending on what you do, and is still only an hour from the Redwoods. Climate is probably a lot better to!
argsy
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby BrentD on Mon 2/Apr/07 11:01am

Sims wrote: All in all, the distance is only about 20mins between the two.


:eh: Taupo to Rotorua = 80km, to do that in 20 mins = average speed of 240 km/h! You must drive a bit faster than me Simon. ;)
BrentD
"20 minutes into the future"
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby Flyboy on Mon 2/Apr/07 11:06am

yeah damn boy, you must have nicked Randy Campbells rocket car to make that trip in 20mins!
Flyboy
User avatar
"Destined for Disaster"
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Datsane on Thu 5/Apr/07 2:14pm

Sims wrote: Taupo is much nicer. (I grew up in Taupo). There are defiantly rough areas in both, but Rotorua seems to have more. I tend to feel unsafe in rotorua, plus you have the rotten egg/sulphur smell to contend with. On the plus side Rotorua does have some very good trail riding.

All trails in the central north island and 100% rideable all year round. The soil is mostly made up of pumice. (from the lake Taupo eruption. See wikipedia). Pumice is extremely porous, and as such all the land drains very well.

Taupo also has significant amounts of good local riding. Plus other classics, like the 42 traverse, or Waihaha hut, are closer. You're also closer to Ruapehu, if you like to ski.

All in all, the distance is only about 20mins between the two. But i'd much rather live in Taupo. Any questions about the region, fire away

:)

Chur. Simon
Like Sims I'd rather live in Taupo.
And vegas is only about 40minutes away :thumbsup:
Datsane
User avatar
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby Colin on Thu 5/Apr/07 2:40pm

I had a 10 days at Taupo over Christmas, and rode out through Spa Park to Craters (and explored the other tracks along both sides of the Waikato River.

By the end of the hol's was getting a little bored with the tracks.

For tracks at my back door that I was to be riding lot's, I would rather live in Vegas and do occasional trips to Craters (and places like Waihaha) than live in Taupo and often driving over to Redwoods.

Easier access to the coast would be a factor for me too.

But then like others I could be biased. I spend much of my childhood in Rotorua.
Colin
User avatar
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby bretto on Thu 5/Apr/07 5:25pm

thanks guys...probably going to stay in Welly, not sure yet. Colin, if you're up for a ride this weekend let me know.
bretto
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby MandM on Thu 7/Jun/07 8:17pm

Taupo is the best. It smells much better. There are heaps of new tracks being built all the time too. The road riding is probally some of the best in the country.
MandM
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Postby pushbikerider on Thu 7/Jun/07 8:23pm

Sims wrote: Taupo is much nicer. (I grew up in Taupo). There are defiantly rough areas in both, but Rotorua seems to have more. I tend to feel unsafe in rotorua, plus you have the rotten egg/sulphur smell to contend with. On the plus side Rotorua does have some very good trail riding.

All trails in the central north island and 100% rideable all year round. The soil is mostly made up of pumice. (from the lake Taupo eruption. See wikipedia). Pumice is extremely porous, and as such all the land drains very well.

Taupo also has significant amounts of good local riding. Plus other classics, like the 42 traverse, or Waihaha hut, are closer. You're also closer to Ruapehu, if you like to ski.

All in all, the distance is only about 20mins between the two. But i'd much rather live in Taupo. Any questions about the region, fire away

:)

Chur. Simon


I have to agree with Simon, but then I spend all of my teens their so am a touch biased

oh and a 20 minute trip is possible, but not sane, I did a ride along for a 20 minute trip (never again), in the real world about an hour

in terms of living Roto is cheaper in terms of rent and also little things like fuel and groceries, and over summer rotorua doesn't quite thave the population expansion that Taupo does
pushbikerider
User avatar
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby leglesscyclist on Thu 7/Jun/07 9:15pm

Thanks for all the input guys, but I'm firmly entrenched in Welly (for now). But I was up that way a few weekends ago, rode Craters and Redwoods, love both of those places, awesome riding. Will be up there again in the not too distant future...
leglesscyclist
"Rule 83. No matter how fast you climb Mount Ventoux in a hail storm only other cyclists think you are a bad ass. The rest of the world thinks you are a pansy for being skinnier than most 8yr old girls and wearing lycra."
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Postby dented on Thu 7/Jun/07 9:28pm

argsy wrote: If you were leaning towards Rotorua then I would throw Tauranga / Mt Maunganui into the mix aswell. Probably more work opportunities than either Rotorua or Taupo depending on what you do, and is still only an hour from the Redwoods. Climate is probably a lot better to!


This is a very wise man.
dented
User avatar
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby dented on Thu 7/Jun/07 9:31pm

BrentD wrote:
Sims wrote: All in all, the distance is only about 20mins between the two.


:eh: Taupo to Rotorua = 80km, to do that in 20 mins = average speed of 240 km/h! You must drive a bit faster than me Simon. ;)


He didnt say anything about driving. I think he is talking about an aeroplane :)
dented
User avatar
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Cycling | Middle North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Taupo Region - Latest Posts

Who is online

68 Users browsing this website: beater32, Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], integral, Kev, Mr Bean, OliverBendix, phantasim, phunk, woodsy, Yahoo [Bot] and 52 guests

VORB SUPPORTERS


  • GT Bicycles
  • Vorb Shop
  • Butterfly Customs