Re: Where On Earth To Buy Fox 7wt Shock Oil??

Postby danose on Sun 30/Aug/09 4:40pm

ccoutts wrote:Damn, shoulda done a buy now... some autobidding richy got it instead :-(

:p
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby JohnnyC on Sun 30/Aug/09 6:07pm

ccoutts wrote:Cheer Wobbler, thats a mean article.

Dented, cheers for your knowledgible advice, haha.

Also, for ayone else out there wanting Fox 7wt in Auck, its actually rebadged Torco Racing Shock Fluid (RSF) Medium (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/Pr ... uid_--.jpg).

Segedins (Dominion Rd) sell it for $14.78+gst, which is a whole lot cheaper than anywhere! See their website: http://www.segedins.com/onlineorder.htm and search for "Torco". 2nd page in.

Silkolene is also an excellent alternative and is what Fox now rebadge as their own stuff these days. (the Fuchs label on the lid is the giveaway...)
JohnnyC
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby ccoutts on Sun 30/Aug/09 6:24pm

JohnnyC wrote:Silkolene is also an excellent alternative and is what Fox now rebadge as their own stuff these days. (the Fuchs label on the lid is the giveaway...)

Where did you hear that? And what viscosity Silkolene is the new fox oil?

Everywhere I've read has said Fox=Torco. The fox website lists this stuff (http://www.myfoxracingshox.com/?pid=36) which looks like the same bottle as the Torco RSF.
ccoutts
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby Gorse on Mon 31/Aug/09 11:42pm

Push Industries now use Maxima over Torco: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p ... 9#poststop
Gorse
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby JohnnyC on Tue 1/Sep/09 10:33am

ccoutts wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:Silkolene is also an excellent alternative and is what Fox now rebadge as their own stuff these days. (the Fuchs label on the lid is the giveaway...)

Where did you hear that? And what viscosity Silkolene is the new fox oil?

Everywhere I've read has said Fox=Torco. The fox website lists this stuff (http://www.myfoxracingshox.com/?pid=36) which looks like the same bottle as the Torco RSF.

It might just be the 10wt that is Silkolene, its what we used when I was in a shop, the bottle is a different shape and has "fuchs" (which is silkolene) on the lid. It's also red in colour like silkolene. Fox use 10wt oil in the 40 and 36 for the last couple of years but the 32mm forks must still use 7wt which is why they still have the different shape bottle.
JohnnyC
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby ccoutts on Tue 1/Sep/09 10:44am

Ahhh, yeah, that must be it.

Also what is important to remember, is just cos 2 manufacturers' oil's say 10wt, doesn't mean that they are the same viscosity. They're meant to be, but this doesn't always happen, and I would never rely on it. The best way is to find the viscosity in CentiStokes (cst) for the oils in question. That list further up this thread has a lot of oils and their centistokes for comparison.
ccoutts
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby OneTrackMind on Mon 14/May/12 7:14pm

A bit of an old thread, but can someone please confirm that a bottle of Fox 7wt that I'd buy from a fox dealer for nearly $50 is exactly the same as the Torco RSF medium? I read the link about Push using something else and Fox maybe using something else for the 10wt, but my forks use the 7.5wt (servicing 32mm talas and 2 x F100X forks in the next few weeks).

It looks like Fox now suggest 10wt, and the bottle is different (see below). What's the new version?

I'm over Dominion Rd way tomorrow, so planning on popping into get the Torco and save myself $30 and a day waiting over ordering the Fox oil.

Also, to confirm, I do not believe that the left over shock oil in a bottle will go 'off' if I hold onto it for the next oil change in 12 - 18 months time. Correct?

Thanks,

OneTrackMind
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby hpg on Tue 15/May/12 7:46am

[quote="OneTrackMind"]A bit of an old thread, but can someone please confirm that a bottle of Fox 7wt that I'd buy from a fox dealer for nearly $50 is exactly the same as the Torco RSF medium?

It looks like Fox now suggest 10wt, and the bottle is different (see below). What's the new version?

Torco RSF Med has the same cST rating as the Fox 7wt. Use the cST (centistoke) measure for comparing the viscosity of different oils. There are a few tables on the web showing these but Peter Verdone is a good place to start.

Not sure of the cST rating of a Fox 10wt but presumably it is higher then their 7wt so maybe up around the 40cST mark?? No reason not to play around with different oil weights so try the Torco Med and see how it goes. Lighter riders may find that lighter oil weights suit them better. There are formulas out there (Refutas equation) for working out the blends if mixing oils. The common wisdom is to mix oils from the same manufacturer and type.
hpg
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby herbman on Tue 15/May/12 8:14am

the new fox green has a cST of 47.

i have some at home that when i have time i will throw in a set of 06 32s. not to sure how it will go.......
herbman

Postby OneTrackMind on Tue 15/May/12 4:00pm

After reading http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/oil_volumes.htm page, it turns out that I need the Yellow 7wt for two sets of F100X forks I have, and then the new Green 10wt for a set of Talas forks.

I've purchased the Torco RSF Medium for $19 for 1L, as it should be the same as the 7wt Yellow oil. I have a bottle of Fox green for the Talas. So looks like I've got the same oils as OEM say.

Further reading seems to suggest that the Green oil is a Torco oil (many report Fox stating this), but not a weight that can be purchased branded as Torco. So I'll just use Fox for this ($40 will do 6 oil changes, so pretty cheap).

I'd like to see an older copy of the above linked Fox oil table, as if a fork came with the 7wt yellow, then surely it could be serviced with the Torco RSF medium and work fine.
OneTrackMind

Bicycle Repair | Cycling - Latest Posts