Re: Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby Rik on Mon 18th Sep 10:04am

Been wanting to do this for ages. Finally got round to it on Saturday. I took the adventure bike for a rip around Bottle lake.

Despite the recent rain the whole track was pretty much dry with only the occasional puddle.

It was hoot. I haven't giggled that much on a bike in ages. I don't know if its because the bike is lighter than a fully but it was popping off every little mound.

Down sides, 400mm bars made it a pig to navigate it round the tight twisty stuff. Had to really power it out of the corners to catch back up.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 18th Sep 10:13am

Nice one Rik.
My mental image of bottle lake is similar to sandy point in invercargill (having only visited the latter).
I've had a great time hooning round there on a rigid canti-braked 80s bike.

It's one answer to the dumbing down of trails - make it harder for yourself.

One of these days I'll get around to taking the communter round polhill.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Rik on Mon 18th Sep 12:00pm

Oh totally, Bottle Lake is a family friendly trail, so If you find it lame, your doing it wrong. Try it on a bike with no suspension.

I'm definitely going back there again, probably with some more aggressive rubber to see if that helps it turning.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"

Postby swtchbckr on Mon 18th Sep 9:17pm

I muchly enjoy it on the fat bike. The extra rubber and rigid frame make it a bit more effort, and I can take it pretty much anywhere off the trails if I feel like a bit of off piste action...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Tue 19th Sep 10:32pm

swtchbckr wrote:I muchly enjoy it on the fat bike. The extra rubber and rigid frame make it a bit more effort, and I can take it pretty much anywhere off the trails if I feel like a bit of off piste action...

BP is literally over the back fence from my whare. It's real easy for me to scoot round there any time I'm a bit stir crazy but not finding it any fun since the SS died. Cracked frame. Rigid SS is great fun compared to pushing the 150mm park rig round. Can't see myself getting the new bike out there, sand no good for the Eagle drivetrain ...................... :satan:
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby AgrAde on Sat 23rd Sep 6:46pm

Went to the top of Benmore Range. There's a track going most of the way up, but it had a fair bit of snow on it so a bit was off piste.
Benmore_pano.jpg
Last edited by AgrAde on Sun 24th Sep 10:43am, edited 1 time in total.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sat 23rd Sep 10:04pm

Nice, jealous of using a mountain bike to ride on mountains.

Is the cock block a replacement or addition to the bromad?
Velocipedestrian

Postby AgrAde on Sat 23rd Sep 10:56pm

It seemed very back-to-basics. Pretty rad ride despite being alone and a complete lack of "shredding"!
View from the top was pretty rad, not used to seeing the alps from that high a vantage point.

I've got the slash until the end of October. Just a temporary thang. They're trusting me with a brand new 9.8, "be careful" they said, I've already binned it twice :lol:

PS it was cold up there
sicko.jpg
AgrAde

Postby swtchbckr on Sun 24th Sep 9:58am

Is that Benmore as in above Porters Pass (not the range next to Lake Benmore)? Did you find the trail down to the Benmore Hut??

Ps, it's actually the Big Ben Range...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby AgrAde on Sun 24th Sep 10:35am

Yeah soz, benmore on big ben range. Everything around there is called benmore this or that so I always confuse it.

Didn't look for the trail to the hut but have walked up to well above the hut from benmore station (the farming station, not the power station, lol). Not really rideable, pretty overgrown.
AgrAde

Postby el_booto on Sun 24th Sep 6:32pm

i wasn't riding but i went up to vic park to watch the season opener of the gravity canterbury DH series...

got talked into being a race marshal, had a good time heckling the groms :D
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby Rik on Wed 27th Sep 9:38am

el_booto wrote:i wasn't riding but i went up to vic park to watch the season opener of the gravity canterbury DH series...

got talked into being a race marshal, had a good time heckling the groms :D

It's important that Groms learn to handle the external pressures they might face on a race run. Good on you for giving them the opportunity to practice that skill. ;) :thumbsup:
Rik

Postby Rik on Sat 14th Oct 11:00pm

:)
Time
5:37:10
Distance
39.32 km
Average
7.00 kph
Climb
1255.00 m
Rik

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sun 15th Oct 8:47am

You're such a tease, Rik.
Velocipedestrian

Postby Rik on Sun 15th Oct 11:16am

Sorry, what can I do. Very please with myself. Any ride that is punctuated with a lunchtime stop at a bar is worth shouting about.
Rik

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts