Re: Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby el_booto on Sat 16/Apr/16 8:28pm

AgrAde wrote:
Spagllegs wrote:Has anyone ridden Mt Oxford? I've run the loop anti clockwise and it seemed rideable from the summit down to Wharfedale track and back to cooper's creek. It'd just be a drag carrying bike up.....

I just rode it anticlockwise. It's rad as hell. Shoulders are sore because I had my bike on my back for almost half the climb, so you're right that was a drag. Everything is rideable but there's a lot of downed trees. I was really looking forward to the steep section of the descent but most of it was a straight line which was kinda annoying, just on the brakes because once you're up to speed it takes a while to slow down on that stuff (worn out high rollers might not help). The whole traverse/descent is pretty epic though.

I managed to find two trees that are almost exactly 760mm apart :D Thought I was lined up dead-on (I was) and that I was going to make it through (I wasn't), bars got jammed perfectly, put myself into the stem which flexed the trees/bars enough to pop them out the other side and let me carry on. I had a look and both of the trees had handlebar marks all over them :lol:

Coopers creek was better than expected. Pretty wet and boggy but it's a good mix of technical pinchy stuff and really flowy sections where you can pump and pop between bits of the trail to avoid roots and stuff. Generally a pretty good gradient but I was done by the end of the last climb.

i can confirm the boggyness of CC is pretty much year-round, i grew up walking those parts as i lived just up the road from there... it gets FA sun even over summer

we usually get dropped at the view hill end, ride up to big ben saddle then bushwhack our way home, straight down and out the end of our road and home for beer (usually with wild pork we've just harvested on the way down :satan: )
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby AgrAde on Sat 16/Apr/16 8:51pm

Most of the wharfedale is wet well into summer so I'm not surprised at all by CC never drying out, being south facing and all. The oxford track descent was wet in parts too. I think that set of hills is just damp in general.

It would be nice if this forum software knew how to deal with large images.

Last edited by AgrAde on Sun 24/Apr/16 11:50am, edited 1 time in total.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby Dougal on Sun 17/Apr/16 8:35pm

First time at Redwoods in Dunedin. Highly recommended.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby Wobbler on Sun 24/Apr/16 9:38am

Did Hanmer skids yesterday, slightly different route to normally as we wanted to have a look at eagles nest, that was pretty cool but c-line was a bit stink so the extra climb up was not worth it. Red rocks has had a bit of a tidy up with the exit now going back into the trees prior to that old rock roll over thing in the open, it hooks around to the right and goes into what I'm pretty sure is old prelogging bottom parts of it (called eeny meeny?). Possibly that connector has been there all along and we have just missed it.

omg embed ride time

Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Dougal on Mon 25/Apr/16 3:54pm

Rode part of the Bluff Hill tracks.

Great flowing stuff through trees with decent berms so the pine-needle drifting just stays nicely in control. I highly recommend drier weather though.
Dougal

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 25/Apr/16 4:08pm

Dougal wrote:Rode part of the Bluff Hill tracks.

Great flowing stuff through trees with decent berms so the pine-needle drifting just stays nicely in control. I highly recommend drier weather though.

That's how I remember it, but dry and Bluff Hill are not close friends.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Dougal on Mon 25/Apr/16 4:31pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:
Dougal wrote:Rode part of the Bluff Hill tracks.

That's how I remember it, but dry and Bluff Hill are not close friends.

We had a lot of rain friday night and it was raining on and off when we were riding Saturday too. I reckon 2 dry days and you'd be fine.
Dougal

Postby Rik on Mon 25/Apr/16 5:31pm

Old Ghost Road - Bliss

Saturday rain :( Sunday sun :D
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby AgrAde on Mon 25/Apr/16 10:34pm

Nice, that's a pretty serious ride.

Rode black hill today. Great descent, pretty good extra bit to tack on to the wharfedale. It's a fair bit more than a wharfedale though.

AgrAde

Postby Conners on Sun 1/May/16 8:56am

Had a great ride yesterday, up the new Te Whiti Riser from home for a few laps at Wainui, and then home via Super Plus. First time I've ridden down there, makes for a great way home for me. Somehow managed a PB on 491/Spoon without thinking about it, one of those runs where everything just clicked.
New entrance to Snails is well rad (not sure if it's part of Labyrinth or Snails?).
I was pretty shattered last night :sleeping:

Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby matnz on Sun 1/May/16 8:48pm

Rode the Lake Tekapo Regional Park last week - including a couple of night rides. Compact area but lots of good tracks - a full loop is only about 5 km, but there are a number trail junctions, so its easy to make an interesting 10-15km ride. Great for the kids (8 and 12) and my wife who does not ride much, but putting in a bit of effort to go a bit faster and it gets interesting. Threw in some MTB orienteering as there's a permanent course there.

Its what McLeans Island and Bottle would have been if the trail builders knew what they were doing. If you like non technical XC rides or have beginners with you and want to kill an hour or two you could do a lot worse.
matnz
Member for: 2 years 7 months

Postby slidecontrol on Sun 1/May/16 9:22pm

https://www.strava.com/activities/561584792

Does this type of thing count?
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby Wobbler on Sun 1/May/16 9:33pm

slidecontrol wrote:https://www.strava.com/activities/561584792

Does this type of thing count?

Wait what is that?
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby slidecontrol on Sun 1/May/16 9:57pm

Wind training for people with no attention span.
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby AgrAde on Mon 2/May/16 12:21am

Definitely doesn't count.

I only rode a boring ride today, but I recommended the black hill ride in my previous post to a few people and they rode it today. One went OTB, broke a brake lever and smacked his head. Another jammed his bars between two trees and had a spectacular crash (on camera), chipping a tooth. I think they enjoyed it though.

Here is the most fantastic gif I've seen in my life, a slowmo of the bar-jam otb:
https://gfycat.com/FortunateUnfoldedElkhound
AgrAde

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts