Where Did You Dig Today?

Postby benw on Sat 18/Sep/10 6:01pm

A few of us in Wellington have been talking about how to get better engagement across the wider biking community with trail building. We have a lot of diggers in Wellington, but we have many more who don't dig. Digging is also, in my opinion, as much a part of mountain biking as the actual biking bit. And trails don't magic up themselves, largely are not built by 'the man' nor would they get built if left to the regular work parties alone. There's a lot of individuals doing bits and pieces (trail pixies) who keep things moving forward.

So with that in mind. Where did you dig today?
benw
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Re: Where Did You Dig Today?

Postby benw on Sat 18/Sep/10 6:03pm

Well, since you asked Ben, Grant and I spent a pleasant 90 minutes recambering a corner on Boot Leg in Miramar, Wellington ahead of the gravel that is going in there next week. One of those good days when you feel like you got something done vs. one of those "I've just spent 2 hours in smelly boggy shit digging a drainage ditch".

chur
benw

Postby Oli on Sat 18/Sep/10 6:25pm

Good stuff lads! Thanks for your efforts... :thumbsup:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby hickie on Sat 18/Sep/10 6:51pm

Tryfan, Shane and Myself spent an afternoon armouring several tracks in preparation for tomorrows PNP race at Wainui. Several others have put in an effort over the weekend.

This raises a good point about coming along an helping. MTB tracks aren't like roads that have armies of contractors paid for by your rates, they wear faster in many cases and often need touching up more often. Places like Makara have formal programmes where people can adopt a track, while others like wainui rely on pixies. Most also have conservation jobs as well or organisational jobs such as committee members or secretary/treasure etc.

So there are many ways you can help out...
hickie
"I've got a singletrack mind..."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby cruiser on Sat 18/Sep/10 7:00pm

I think trailbuilders could learn alot from the way Robbie manages the volunteer and social media aspect of Makara.

Even though you guys [trail-builders, not you personally] are doing a huge service to the community as a whole, it's crucial when the helpers do turn up they're appreciated and respected. Just today I heard of a volunteer getting ripped into for making a mistake? he won't be back, and it's not as if there's a waiting list of them.

Oh, I Fuxxored some bush lawyer off a few trails today, does that count?
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby tryfan on Sat 18/Sep/10 7:18pm

Owwww - nice work Ben - what a fun little club!!, nice to be using vorb again - It's been a while!

Yeah shane and i shifted nearly a tonne of grit each onto entry of beeline ext having first remover some organic yoghurty like crap of the trail surface and re-established some outslope. (I also managed to fashion the exit of a drainage nick into a sweet little pre jump for the 'drop to step up' thingie on beeline ext.

Hard work pushing full barrows at the end - shane did an hour more than me!! Fun though and good to have that job ticked off for now.

We need to all get together for a meet up bbq to kick of a seson of shared digs - The Hippy said Steve W had offered to host such a bbq at his - I will ask him..

I think a good way to make trailbuilding more mainstream is to celebratre it and posibly get articles ' pics in spoke etc..

Too many punters riding on by - has to change, i agree.. :angry:

T.
tryfan
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby cruiser on Sat 18/Sep/10 8:14pm

speaking of spoke.

Spoke Caleb and Leif shooting at Wainui [lowry side] today. Maybe the Avanti Torrent getting a write up, maybe not... :paranoid:
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby Robbie on Sat 18/Sep/10 10:56pm

Hello all!

Well today a few of us planted some Rata on North Face.

This may not sound like much fun to those who ride the tracks (or even build them) but it is nice to decide where a large tree will one day overlook a track :)

And now there are 450-500 natives planted there.

This helps us build tracks, as natives need far less trimming than the hated evil gorse and barberry. The less maintenance we do, the more tracks we can build for all. It really is that simple :lol:

Anyway that was all done by lunchtime, and the storm failed to materialise, or even appear on the horizon, so we did a bit of trail pixie work until mid afternoon.

After spending 6 weeks working flat out to drain and harden the top of the track, it was nice to hear today that it was " a bit dusty" !! Hammering rocks into 150m of track by hand, followed by gravelling seemed to do the trick :lol:

Cheers,

Rob
Robbie
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby benw on Sun 19/Sep/10 6:56am

cruiser wrote:Even though you guys [trail-builders, not you personally] are doing a huge service to the community as a whole, it's crucial when the helpers do turn up they're appreciated and respected. Just today I heard of a volunteer getting ripped into for making a mistake? he won't be back, and it's not as if there's a waiting list of them.

I am sure that happens from time to time. It used to happen a fair bit at Makara a few years ago now (I remember some incidents when Lazy Fern was being built). One of the joys of managing volunteers, some of who have been at it for a long time, they sometimes bark at new volunteers. The punishment for grumping at voluneers at Miramar is deportation to Nelson for 12 months. But while this sort of incident doesn't help, in my experience it isn't the principle issue.

cruiser wrote:Oh, I Fuxxored some bush lawyer off a few trails today, does that count?

Definitely, it all helps. Trail pixie work comes in all sizes from removing some weeds or kicking out a puddle through to full day efforts...
benw

Postby Robbie on Sun 19/Sep/10 7:30am

Volunteers should never ever be ripped in to. :(
The fools who do this should learn some humility and stop being cocks.

A little goodwill goes a very long way, and a lot of goodwill travels a lot further :)

I recall wanting to help out on tracks for a very long time before I got involved.
The things that held me back were getting up in time (thinking I needed to be there all day), being worried about doing the wrong thing (the olde guard did not always appear open and friendly), and not having a whole day to spare (me thinking it had to be all or nothing or I would be unworthy)

These days the Makara Peak Supporters try very hard to encourage anybody anytime to help out, if they want to. We also work at making sure everybody who does so is appreciated, and we know that even 30 minutes work is useful and should be honored with thanks. Or even a smile and wave as people ride by. After all, the track is there to be ridden :)

Mountain biking is a special sport, there not many other activities where you can build and adjust the venue where it is played.

I also think track work is a socially healthy thing to do: get away from the packaged media for a while into the bush, have fun or get totally exhausted by choice, and create something that is shared.

Any successful business has a "succession" plan, and track building is the same. So it is critical that young and/or new people are attracted to the activity to inject new ideas and also learn from the valuable experience of others - and above all carry on the whole thing!

And I for one get the most satisfaction from watching riders whoop it up on a trail I have worked on.

The North Face project that Makara Peak Supporters have been obsessively busy with for a while now has brought together all kinds of people with many ideas. The common enthusiasm and shared passion of the sport has driven things along nicely :D
Robbie

Postby benw on Sun 19/Sep/10 2:48pm

A bunch of us worked on Boot Leg in Miramar this morning on our regular Sunday am dig. Nice work from the usual crew of Dave, Al, Rus, Grant, Darren and Ben. Looking good for gravel on Thursday.
benw

Postby Stumpy Ryder on Sun 19/Sep/10 5:27pm

cruiser wrote:I think trailbuilders could learn alot from the way Robbie manages the volunteer and social media aspect of Makara.

Even though you guys [trail-builders, not you personally] are doing a huge service to the community as a whole, it's crucial when the helpers do turn up they're appreciated and respected. Just today I heard of a volunteer getting ripped into for making a mistake? he won't be back, and it's not as if there's a waiting list of them.

Oh, I Fuxxored some bush lawyer off a few trails today, does that count?

thats not good. Robbie's great at Makara peak I must admit he is a great guy to everyone so If you want to be treated well go track building at Makara peak. It's great fun and Robbie Is a funny man :) :thumbsup:
Stumpy Ryder
"Aint nothing much like ridin' trails"
Member for: 7 years 5 months

Postby SamKnight on Sun 19/Sep/10 5:34pm

Not so much digging, but having words with the council about letting me build a set of dirt jumps/pump track for the community.

The council was actually surprisingly helpful, the land has been allocated, i just have to make up a few drawings to show them my idea, and then we're getting it put into the annual plan.

Cheers Rangitikei District Council :thumbsup:
SamKnight
"Meh"

Postby Robbie on Sun 19/Sep/10 5:41pm

:D
Stumpy Rider himself has built some great parts of North Face :thumbsup:

Today Ian and Rob spent a day scouting and bush bashing. With ten enthusiastic people on the Tracks Committee this year we needed to scope out lines as they say. We found some nice things and some very scarey things indeed. Cliffs, I think is the word.

However we found a great solution to a likely COOK KIDS TRACK which could loop from Koru back to the carpark.

Lots of news on that Project soon, which will probably include kids skills, a bypass of the carpark and many other things of everlasting goodness :)
Robbie

Postby Robbie on Sun 19/Sep/10 5:43pm

SamKnight wrote:Not so much digging, but having words with the council about letting me build a set of dirt jumps/pump track for the community.

The council was actually surprisingly helpful, the land has been allocated, i just have to make up a few drawings to show them my idea, and then we're getting it put into the annual plan.

Cheers Rangitikei District Council :thumbsup:

A few other people have gone through that same process: if they read this forum hopefully they can show you what they presented to their Councils, so you do not have to do all the pioneering !
Robbie

Cycling | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Trail Building - Latest Posts