Re: Where Did You Dig Today?

Postby onyabike on Mon 12/Sep/11 12:29pm

Chinese and Sheffield go head to head...
sheffield-vs-chinese.jpg
onyabike
"logging capital of nz"
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby Hawkesbaymtb on Mon 12/Sep/11 1:30pm

Not sure if this thread is just for Wellington trails, but if it includes other regions, then some of our hard workers up here in the Hawkes Bay have been busy over the winter months & have completed 4 more new trails at Pan Pac Eskdale MTB Park.

* VOLTAGE (Advanced) = 1.0km
Voltage starts by veering off to the left of Rocket by the ‘broken tree’ which is approx. 100m down Rocket after the intersection of Luge & PowerPole trails.
Traversing down the ridge & gully including along the top of a cliff face (there’s even a sign warning you of this!), this 1km long trail exits onto the bottom end of Lower Magog.
Built by Nicki Dockary.

* PINS’n’NEEDLES (Expert) = 0.6km
This new trail starts at the pond by the Trig at the highest point within Pan Pac Eskdale MTB Park, with a vertical drop into a left hand berm.
There are a couple of skinny low-level timber structures & a few very narrow or very steep sections, before dropping down the ridge into a few digger built berms before exiting out onto Eskview, using the same exit as Maxxis.

Pins'n'Needles is 100% rollable & because of this remains rated as ‘Expert’, otherwise would be ‘Extreme’. So please be careful.
Built by Dave ‘Dingo’ Gordon.

* SHREK (Easy) = 0.6km
A new trail that follows along the base of the hill and partly out into the open flat area.
(NB: At the time of drawing this map, the trail was called LowerPond Bypass)

Aimed at the family/beginner rider as an easy alternative to climbing up & over Lower Pond, linking the start of Lower Pond (Blackberry end) with Forest Gump.
Includes a couple of short links out onto Burden Road for easy access/exits.
Parts of the trail have even been gravelled.
Built by Don Bricknall (club Chairperson).

* NINJA (Intermediate) = 1.1km
Stage 1 of Ninja was the first 400m built during winter 2010.
Stage 2 is now completed, which exits onto Zoom within the middle flat section.
Stage 3 of Ninja will be built during winter 2012, which will cross over Zoom & flow thru the next gully out onto Zip, just above Dingo.

A fast, flowing, roller-coaster style trail mostly traversing the side of the hill.
Built by Carl Larsen (club Secretary)

Also links to:
the Overall trail map of Eskdale, & the latest Trail Status.

NB: Access for mountain biking & running at Pan Pac Eskdale MTB Park is for HBMTBC members only. Either join the club, or purchase a "3 Week Visitors Permit".
http://www.hawkesbaymtb.co.nz
Hawkesbaymtb
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby TheyLookLikeUs on Mon 12/Sep/11 10:49pm

Will anyone be digging anywhere in Wellington this Saturday that could show a relative newbie a thing or two about trail building? The guilt of using all these lovely tracks every weekend is getting to me... :blush:
TheyLookLikeUs
Member for: 6 years 6 months

Postby DHhucks on Thu 15/Sep/11 7:30pm

I want to build tracks :cool: Does anyone have tips on a dual slalom track?
DHhucks
"Baldrick; I think I have a cunning plan...."
Member for: 6 years 3 months

Postby G on Fri 16/Sep/11 9:28am

Biggest tip...get permission first, written if possible. from there...take note of what feels good on other tracks and have a close look at them and get stuck in
G
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby properzel on Sun 22/Jan/12 4:49pm

Dug some Windmill with the Kevinator today, who brought along some nice magicslices... We could see a Speight's refrigerator appear in the distance previous digs, today we passed it and thought about putting some special features around it - Should get a fun stretch of bloody quality track I reckon!

(Sorry for the crap pictures, phone cam is all scratched up..)
properzel
Member for: 7 years 7 months

Postby thelongwalk on Sun 22/Jan/12 6:22pm

Shit dude they're big pictures, maybe they should be in feet not metres. More windmill.
DSCN5773.JPG
thelongwalk
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby properzel on Sun 22/Jan/12 6:33pm

thelongwalk wrote:Shit dude they're big pictures, maybe they should be in feet not metres. More windmill.

All relative, dude. I can hardly see whatever you posted on my 2560 by 1440 pixels monitor, you have to go with time and upgrade you PC every five or ten years, dude...
properzel
Member for: 7 years 7 months

Postby kaiteri on Mon 23/Jan/12 12:01pm

properzel wrote:Dug some Windmill with the Kevinator today, who brought along some nice magicslices... We could see a Speight's refrigerator appear in the distance previous digs, today we passed it and thought about putting some special features around it - Should get a fun stretch of bloody quality track I reckon!

(Sorry for the crap pictures, phone cam is all scratched up..)

No apologies, mate. That is a beautiful sight.

Joined a crew of 39 from all parts clearing an goldminers' pack track up the Mokihinui River in the w/e. Part of the Old Ghost Rd Project. Fantastic scenery, weather, crew and barbie (thanks, Phil).
This is going to be one awesome ride when complete. We mtbrs should erect monuments to those old timers who carved these routes out of rock - other than the existing little wooden crosses for those who were killed in the process, that is.
kaiteri
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Postby thelongwalk on Mon 23/Jan/12 5:56pm

TheyLookLikeUs wrote:Will anyone be digging anywhere in Wellington this Saturday that could show a relative newbie a thing or two about trail building? The guilt of using all these lovely tracks every weekend is getting to me... :blush:

Hey thyelooklikeus, just saw this post, realise its a bit late as it was Sept, but we are always keen for a hand, happy to show a newbie, pretty chilled out setup.

We dig one weekend day each week
and every second tuesday with the revolve group from 1730 (starting again this tuesday) during daylight savings.

Which day of the weekend can vary due to weather (we ride the best weather day) so you could text me on friday if you want -0273144569

Were digging on windmill at the mo (look up tracks.org) from the bottom, probably be a year, after that lots of ideas for more tracks.

I believe in live local dig local so if makara is closer give them a hollar at their website, also mirimar still need a hand at times, theyre on faecbook.
thelongwalk

Postby thelongwalk on Sat 25/Feb/12 10:26pm

We built for a few hours today on the new piece of carparts, including building a berm. About 200 metres of the existing carparts will be used as Windmill as the ground is too steep to go below it, hence we are building the new section.
photo.JPG
berm.jpg
thelongwalk

Postby The Shark on Mon 27/Feb/12 3:36pm

Spotted a line that had been ridden a little bit at the bottom of Mystic Portal, so have been putting in a bit of work up there. A good fun alternative route if you find it hard to get enough speed along the top to clear the gaps without casing! A small gap (that will get bigger as time/work goes on), a drop, a berm, and soon to be another gap, then joining back up to the original track for the very bottom section.

Now if I could just figure out how to get the fallen tree up near the top out of the way...
The Shark
Member for: 5 years 9 months

Postby The Shark on Sat 10/Mar/12 8:00pm

Just a heads up, took a chainsaw up mystic portal today and chopped up that fallen tree that was blocking the trail. Hope that's all good with all the other trail fairies out there :D

Still too scared to hit that gap just before it though :p
The Shark
Member for: 5 years 9 months

Postby gristle on Mon 12/Mar/12 7:39pm

One of our tools has gone missing from Transient. It is a custom stomping device, basically a long piece of 50mm dia pipe (5ftish) welded to a piece of rolled plate approx 180 sq. It is finished in a black etching primer. It weighs a ton and would be good to have back for armouring on other tracks. If anyone sees it, drop a message on here. Cheers!
gristle
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby thelongwalk on Mon 12/Mar/12 8:01pm

Gristle this is for digging news only, please keep your emails about lost items in the lost item blog, I'm sure there is one here somewhere.......

Anyway
Spent 5 hours redigging a berm on Transient which has always been poor to ride down. I promised myself I would only do it on a cloudy day but the sun came out shortly after I started and it killed me. Looks average, as I had set my heart on a miramar berm after watching people ride them all sunday. Sigh.
thelongwalk

Cycling | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Trail Building - Latest Posts