Wheel Upgrade

Postby markie5 on Wed 14/Jan/09 7:24pm

Hi,

I am looking for some advice regarding upgrading to a better wheelset than my current Easton Circuits.

My budget does not run to having a nice set of race wheels and if I am paying out quite a lot of money i would like to enjoy them all the time rather than just a few times each year.

My current preference is for possibly a carbon rim/alloy braking surface clincher type wheel but as i dont know much about it I thought i would list some requirements and see if anyone could recommend anything.

1. suitable for 80kg rider
2. durable enough to be used all the time on Chch roads
3. good aerodynamics for use in TT/Triathlons

As you can see my main focus for racing is the cycling leg of triathlons hence the need for better aero, however i would like to use the new wheels all the time and dont know how the wider rim/possible extra weight would effect hill climbing or riding in a crosswind. Maybe for all conditions I may be better with a lighter weight, thin rim wheel.

As already stated i dont know much about it but any advice ad recommendations would be greatly appreciated...Thanks
markie5
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Re: Wheel Upgrade

Postby Joel on Wed 14/Jan/09 8:12pm

whats your budget?
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby markie5 on Wed 14/Jan/09 9:14pm

Hi,

Budget would be $1500 - $2000 max
markie5
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Spyder on Wed 14/Jan/09 10:18pm

Either talk to Tristan at Wheelworks in Wellington or get along to see Cameron at Cycleworkz in Bishopdale. He can build you up a nice custom set at the lower end of that price range.
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby danose on Thu 15/Jan/09 6:58am

markie5 wrote:list some requirements and see if anyone could recommend anything.

dt rr1.1 (or mavic openpro) laced to ultegra hubs - bombproof, light enuogh to race on and surprisingly cheap (between $900-$1000 unless the poor $/US$ has really shafted us).

go talk to Ewen at BASIC bikes :thumbsup:
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Joel on Thu 15/Jan/09 8:42am

I would think nothing wrong with the circuits for training wheels?? And 1500-2000 is plenty to pick up some carbon tubs or clincher carbon fairing alloy rim race wheels off tardme. just need to keep an eye out.
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby rochie on Wed 21/Jan/09 11:41am

My vote would be for a pair of Mavic Cosmic Carbone's - carbon with alloy braking surface. Bombproof wheels ( I rode over Stu my training buddy with them!). CYCO in Auckland have them. I run a pair of Easton Circuits for training wheels and to be honest the only advantage I feel that the Mavic's have over them is the psychological edge of putting on some "race wheels".
rochie
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby XCrazy on Wed 21/Jan/09 6:15pm

Have a talk to tristan at www.wheelworks.co.nz , carbon might be bit tricky to get at that sort of price but he can oraganise some aero section alloy rims in a spoke count suitable for your size to make a nice, aero everyday wheel.
XCrazy
"WWJD...... What Would Jens Do?"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby musket on Wed 21/Jan/09 6:19pm

Joel wrote:I would think nothing wrong with the circuits for training wheels?? And 1500-2000 is plenty to pick up some carbon tubs or clincher carbon fairing alloy rim race wheels off tardme. just need to keep an eye out.

Yep - good call. There are some good specials on come of the more generic carbon pre builts at the moment.
musket
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby specializedman on Wed 21/Jan/09 10:29pm

My LBS is selling a Zipp 303/404 wheelset for about $2000 if you are interested.
specializedman
"I am a very biking boy."
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Cycling | Road Cycling | Road Racing - Latest Posts