Re: Wheedle?

Postby kneemick on Wed 3/Oct/12 5:40pm

Just received the following (as no doubt others have as well) so no indication of when it will be back

Dear Wheedle Member,
I made a decision yesterday morning to take Wheedle offline.
On Monday night our tech team made some tweaks and changes to the website to improve its performance and speed. These changes were deployed to the website without first passing through our normal test protocols. We quickly discovered that the changes were causing problems with the auction listing prices. There was also some concern raised around password security and retrieval. Please rest assured that your password has been, at all times, strongly encrypted and stored in our database. We are also exploring alternative ways to further increase password security.
In light of these events, we are undertaking a complete review of the website including engaging an independent firm to carry out a full a check of the security of the website.
We experienced a very positive interest in Wheedle and we had an astounding member uptake. We will be back soon, better, stronger and safer.
I apologise for any inconvenience this has caused and thank you for your support.
If you have any concerns or questions, you can reach me by email: carl_rees@wheedle.co.nz
Carl Rees
Managing Director
Wheedle
kneemick
"In the absence of clearly defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily acts of trivia"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby happybaboon on Wed 3/Oct/12 11:47pm

How can a password that they emailed unencrypted have remained in their encrypted database? :lol:
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Thu 4/Oct/12 8:27am

Where does that say anything about emailing a password?
Dr. Fuentes
Member for: 7 years 4 months

Postby Wobbler on Thu 4/Oct/12 8:46am

When someone requested a password change the passwords were being emailed in plain text
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Thu 4/Oct/12 9:44am

oh my.
Dr. Fuentes
Member for: 7 years 4 months

Postby cauld on Thu 4/Oct/12 10:17am

Redacted
Last edited by cauld on Tue 9/Oct/12 9:20am, edited 1 time in total.
cauld
"God Botherer Botherer"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby nzmatto on Thu 4/Oct/12 9:19pm

Sure it wasn't a new password that was being emailed in clear text? Still not the best approach but I'd find it hard to believe they would have any type of retrievable password system in place for such a new service.
If they do then it'll be fair game and published before long......

meanwhile:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industr ... -at-launch

listselltrade....

2nd failed new auction site this week. I wonder if the trademe boys have got a sideline hacking (sorry, Internet Security) business. :p
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby Wobbler on Thu 17/Jan/13 11:59am

Wobbler
User avatarMedal

Postby RJD on Thu 17/Jan/13 12:14pm

Looking forward to getting some bargains~! :D
RJD
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby znomit on Mon 15/Apr/13 9:53pm

Bumpity bump.
znomit
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Mon 15/Apr/13 11:40pm

The servers are coping well. There are still two huge danger signs:

1: They have not rebranded to distance themselves from the previous omnishambles. This suggests psychosis in upper management.

2: The team who came up with the name "Wheedle" has not been publicly hanged.
Even without the previous clusterfail that name would still be a permanent monument to cluelessness.

Ho hum, will try to list some stuff ASAP to help them get started.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"

Postby dented on Tue 16/Apr/13 7:09am

Simonius_Titius wrote:Ho hum, will try to list some stuff ASAP to help them get started.

:D
Yeah had a look last night and it looks like punters are being a bit more cautious on getting involved this time around. Im a fairly regular tm user, and I will be giving it a few months before I try listing anything.
dented
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby RHR_Rob on Tue 16/Apr/13 10:26pm

Trade me has everyone by the balls. i RELAY hope wheedle gets a foot hold, i for one have been duplicating my TM auctions.
RHR_Rob
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Wobbler on Sat 12/Jul/14 9:39am

Wobbler
User avatarMedal

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sat 12/Jul/14 3:04pm

Wobbler wrote:http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/small-business/10258481/Auction-site-Wheedle-closes

goneburgers

Wheedle will live forever as an example in business management:

Plausibility in a business plan is better achieved by not having holes in it than by jumping into a field so unfamiliar that you can not see the holes.

If your idea is lucrative and obvious, you need to understand both the people who have has tried and failed, and the ones who have chosen not to try. EBay for example.

A huge fighting fund can not make up for an inability to select a management team with the relevant competencies.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"

Asia | Regions | South Korea - Latest Posts