Whats The Most Frieghtening Time On A Bike

Postby tripler on Sat 25/Oct/08 9:02pm

There is still only one time I was terified while on a bike and that was back in england,I was 10? (1981-82)I was riding down a country lane and there was a ditch next to it and running in the ditch was a huge rat racing along,well you never seen me pedal so fast and scream so loud,now you have to understand that in the norfolk area of england rats grow pretty big,some rats that have been cought weight 2 lbs,and they can nor through the bone,have thousands of pounds of pressure in their jaw AND their teeth are tougher than most metals,nowerdays I would more likely try to catch them and train them as my evil pets :satan: but as a 10yr old I wasnt going to take the chance
tripler
"I AM pushing but it won't go in,pass the grease"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby The_Quinsta on Sat 25/Oct/08 10:19pm

Ha hahaha Tripler ....you so crazy, mine was when i went over the handle bars on the Gimp fell from bout 2 metres up to hard clay, not so frighting i suppose but Fark it was sore
The_Quinsta
"If i ain't riding or building it must be dark and im playing Counter Strike or Combat Arms"
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby tripler on Sat 25/Oct/08 10:43pm

its funny how a crash can happen within seconds but you still seem to have time to say to yourself "oh Shit,this is gona hurt" bout 2mtrs? thats definatly a poo poo moment and has the frightning factor
tripler

Postby Mr_Bob on Sat 25/Oct/08 11:31pm

Not my experience, but thought I would share one....
Friend was riding in Canada a few years ago, nice long flowing piece of singletrack, comes round a corner, 200m ahead of him is a bear standing right on the trail infront of him :crazy:
His reaction is to stop pedaling, the noise of the freehub spooks the bear, it takes off, while he keeps on riding with his heart in his throat for the next day :D
I am SO GLAD thare aren't any bears in new zealand!! :rolleyes:
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby radiusq on Sun 26/Oct/08 12:19am

Mr_Bob wrote:

feck ya, and we have no cougars or snakes either! phew!

Worst wildlife incident I've had was being chased by an Irish Wolfhound (they're the size of a small horse and nearly as fast). He chased me down a trail for about a kilometer. He had his teeth out and meant business for sure. Probably the fastest I've ever pedaled.
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby konakid888 on Sun 26/Oct/08 7:58am

not ment to be rasist,

skatepark, some kid comes up,"thats my bike now dick", my mate goes "fuck off it is"
maori goes"whats that cunzor" , then we start to ride off, THEN all the maoris cusins and bro's and homies, on theyre quality assured whore house bikes chase us all they way back to colligiate, meant bg (biker gang)

i was shitting myself.
konakid888
"" blow the whistle ..""
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby tripler on Tue 28/Oct/08 11:37pm

I always got chased by a big kid when I was 6 or7,and always managed to outride him on my raliegh chopper,always turned into my driveway before he could get me....yer I was the man with the mean machine...ha ha crack up....true story,wasnt scared..onist
tripler

Postby bikerjake on Wed 29/Oct/08 7:39am

haha wen i was in taupo some maori came up to me and was like 'oh can i have a go on your bike cuz?' i just gapped ay lol.

my scariest moment was a month or so back when i was doing a xc race in whitford and i got attacked by two wild boars-ended up stuck up a tree for 3 hours with a rooted helmet and a gash on my knee. only time in my lifei thought i was actually gonna die
bikerjake
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby bugle on Wed 29/Oct/08 10:07am

It's always the 'I haven't got enough room to stop/scrub enough speed to make the corner, pace to clear the gap moment'

Or as happened to I once, the cliff above the track you are riding collapses into tons of dirt and rock where you would have been in a couple of seconds...
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 18 years 1 month

Postby t8500 on Wed 29/Oct/08 1:50pm

bikerjake wrote: haha wen i was in taupo some maori came up to me and was like 'oh can i have a go on your bike cuz?' i just gapped ay lol.

my scariest moment was a month or so back when i was doing a xc race in whitford and i got attacked by two wild boars-ended up stuck up a tree for 3 hours with a rooted helmet and a gash on my knee. only time in my lifei thought i was actually gonna die

They get big those boars aye bro, I shit myself one time i was out there (whitford) and this boar comes out of the bush and onto the road, the guy i was riding with (mike tarmac) just jumped on his yeti and starts charging it, the boar took off back in to the bush, i was glad he was there, don't no what i would have done other wise, maybe ride back down the trail i came up and hope that it didn't come after me :)
t8500
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby madpete on Fri 31/Oct/08 7:28pm

yeah Lava Flow track at Christchurch...coming off Bonseye (nasty rock dropper) air borne and there's a bloody ram (sheep) bang smack in the middle of the landing zone. volcanic rocks either side or mutton on the disc brakes...thankfully the sheep shagger just got out of the way before i landed. bloody mother nature!!!
madpete
"Whatever Fool!"
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby xcmtb on Mon 29/Dec/08 4:00pm

Mr_Bob wrote: Not my experience, but thought I would share one....
Friend was riding in Canada a few years ago, nice long flowing piece of singletrack, comes round a corner, 200m ahead of him is a bear standing right on the trail infront of him :crazy:
His reaction is to stop pedaling, the noise of the freehub spooks the bear, it takes off, while he keeps on riding with his heart in his throat for the next day :D
Chris King, "makea noise likeda angwy bee"
xcmtb
"DFL - Dead Twazzicking Last!"
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby konaking on Mon 29/Dec/08 4:25pm

i was crossing the zebra crossing bout a year a go to set myself up to this hop to manual thing and the car with asian driver stopped then suddenly exallerated and hit my back rim and she was like omg i so sory and i said u fucked my bike and she said here take this money and she gave me 200 cash rite there and told me nt to tell police and i was like sweet
konaking
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby j2hyde on Mon 29/Dec/08 5:08pm

Mr_Bob wrote: Not my experience, but thought I would share one....

Ha, similar thing happened to me in Canada. I'd just gotten a new bike and was out for a ride near Uculuet (sp) on Van Isl and was heading up this fireroad and about 50m ahead of me a black bear walked out on the middle of the road. I stopped and looked at it, and it looked at me. I'd been riding for a while and didn't want to turn back so I figured I'd scare it off. I yelled at it and threw a few rocks and it ambled off the road looking quite disinterested. I kept making noise for a few minutes till I thought it had gone then kept riding. It was uphill granny ring stuff so I wasn't going fast. At the point where the bear had gone off the road I looked left and there it was, 5m away, on its hind legs, and beside it about 2m up a tree were it's 2 cubs.
Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.
I turned around and rode as fast as I could out of there. Never looked back, never went back up that road.

I've run over a couple of snakes in Aust which was kinda scary, but that bear was fucking terrifying.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby Colin on Mon 29/Dec/08 5:16pm

Nguaranga Gorge. Rush hour commuting to work.

A-hole in a ute doesn't want to follow the bike so forces way through, clipping my handle bars.

Giant tankslapper at about 70 klicks surrounded by cars.

Rode it out and stopped at the bottom of the gorge still shaking something terrible.

Always ride up on the path beside the road now.
Colin
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Cycling | New Zealand | Northland | Regions | Upper North Island - Latest Posts