Whats Happened With Making Colonial Knob A Mtb Park?

Postby Stumpy Ryder on Fri 16/Jul/10 5:12pm

Hi, just wondering if anyboy knows whats happening wih colonial knob and if they are still trying to make a MTB park there??
Also if everyone who reads could write a quick reply just if you think it would be great :)
Last edited by Stumpy Ryder on Tue 20/Jul/10 7:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stumpy Ryder
"Aint nothing much like ridin' trails"
Member for: 7 years 5 months

Re: Whats Happened With Making Colonial Knob A Mtb Park?????

Postby klxracer on Fri 16/Jul/10 5:21pm

Haven't heard a thing - and certainly nothing in the local rags... Would be great though, plenty of elevation to play with!
klxracer
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Stumpy Ryder

Postby Stumpy Ryder on Fri 16/Jul/10 5:26pm

I have given them an email a couple of months ago and got nothing
It would be good because I live in tawa and theres only 4x4 tracks around :angry:
Stumpy Ryder

Postby cruiser on Fri 16/Jul/10 5:45pm

Kernels knob website wrote:our big Knob at 458 metres out ranks Mount Vic at 196 meters, Wrights Hill at 357 meters and Makara Peak at 412 meters

HURR HURR...

I imagine you'll be old and crusty like me before this comes about, PCC aren't exactly MTB supportive compared to other wellington councils.
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby mark2c on Fri 16/Jul/10 7:37pm

Cruiser you may have to eat your helmet. Porirua CC has bought the land and has expressed interest in an MTB park.

Likewise I've listed my name as interested in helping, but had no response.

Would be awesome to build the tracks first and plant later - no clearing goarse and barberry!!!!
mark2c
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby cruiser on Fri 16/Jul/10 10:33pm

I'm aware they've done that, but when you compare them to WCC and HCC's offers of hands on support and sponsorship of events, tracks and resources there is no comparison, there were other objectives in the purchase of the land when it came onto the market too.

I've been struggling to even get past the approval stage, or any resource support of a piddly amount for their only current mtb park which is a joke, so far they've expressed interest in principle, but implementing anything is a different story...so far. We've all had no response.

I'm sure they'll step up when there's more momentum, but they certainly aren't proactive internally. Need moar advocate councillors who are active or mtb.
cruiser

Postby mark2c on Sat 17/Jul/10 8:18am

cruiser wrote:I'm aware they've done that, but when you compare them to WCC and HCC's offers of hands on support and sponsorship of events, tracks and resources there is no comparison, there were other objectives in the purchase of the land when it came onto the market too.

I've been struggling to even get past the approval stage, or any resource support of a piddly amount for their only current mtb park which is a joke, so far they've expressed interest in principle, but implementing anything is a different story...so far. We've all had no response.

I'm sure they'll step up when there's more momentum, but they certainly aren't proactive internally. Need moar advocate councillors who are active or mtb.

Totally agree, but they simply don't have the scale and dosh to do more. It will only be lead by the interest group (ie us lot).
mark2c

Postby cruiser on Sat 17/Jul/10 8:29am

I know we can get PD workers for some of the grunt work, Porirua are good like that :D
cruiser

Postby mark2c on Sat 17/Jul/10 9:39am

Just some? :D
mark2c

Postby R+P+K on Sat 17/Jul/10 11:59pm

I kinda know what's going on. I gather the PCC are in the process of working out a long term plan for the park. Send a pm to rocketman.
R+P+K
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby mark2c on Sun 18/Jul/10 9:15am

Thanks, will do. I knew they were talking to rocketman before they made the purchase.
mark2c

Postby Stumpy Ryder on Sun 18/Jul/10 8:46pm

cruiser wrote:
Kernels knob website wrote:our big Knob at 458 metres out ranks Mount Vic at 196 meters, Wrights Hill at 357 meters and Makara Peak at 412 meters

HURR HURR...

I imagine you'll be old and crusty like me before this comes about, PCC aren't exactly MTB supportive compared to other wellington councils.
yeah! will just have to get more people behind it and abit like WCC they want to be able to know it will be up kept and that they wont have to put too much money into it
Stumpy Ryder

Postby Stumpy Ryder on Tue 20/Jul/10 7:11pm

wow they def. need some more tracks in Porirua, I went for a run around that inlet track that goes to greys RD. It is so short so went up some of those side tracks and they are just concrete paths and wooden bridges.
I also went for a bike up colonial just before that, the four wheel drive track has washed out so much and I felt like I was going to get blowen off the top :o
Stumpy Ryder

Postby mark2c on Tue 20/Jul/10 7:20pm

Yeah, some of the water ruts are over a metre deep.
mark2c

Cycling | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Trail Building | Wellington Region - Latest Posts