Whats It Cost To Repaint A Van?

Postby dh_winner on Fri 6/Feb/09 10:48am

Does anyone know a roughly how much it costs to professionally repaint a hiace or similar van from red/ yellow to black or white? I wouldnt have a clue.
dh_winner
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Re: Whats It Cost To Repaint A Van?

Postby Spokes on Fri 6/Feb/09 10:52am

How much does a dozen Rattle cans cost??
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 6/Feb/09 11:11am

dh_winner wrote:Does anyone know a roughly how much it costs to professionally repaint a hiace or similar van from red/ yellow to black or white? I wouldnt have a clue.

Depends on who you know, could be a couple of dozen, plus the cost of paint (ie under $500 easy) or $1500 - $2000

Just buy a few cans of "west Auckland racing grey" and you'll be sorted ;) , it'd be mint 'oi
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby Bigfoot on Fri 6/Feb/09 11:39am

Depends greatly on the quality of the work you want... you could spend a few grand or you could spend tens of thousands!
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby dh_winner on Fri 6/Feb/09 11:58am

Im just after an average vehicle finish. Not too keen tor the old primer spray can finish either. $1000 - $2000 balpark then?
dh_winner

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 6/Feb/09 12:02pm

dh_winner wrote:Im just after an average vehicle finish. Not too keen tor the old primer spray can finish either. $1000 - $2000 balpark then?

sounds about right, especially for a simple (cheap) colour

I'd ask around the people that I know, to see if anyone knows a panle beater/ painter or an apprentice one who might be able to do a cashie
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby Spokes on Fri 6/Feb/09 12:05pm

pushbikerider wrote:
Just buy a few cans of "west Auckland racing grey" and you'll be sorted ;) , it'd be mint 'oi

Thats would be Matt black to be correct. ;)
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"

Postby dh_winner on Fri 6/Feb/09 12:24pm

pushbikerider wrote:
dh_winner wrote:Im just after an average vehicle finish. Not too keen tor the old primer spray can finish either. $1000 - $2000 balpark then?

I'd ask around the people that I know, to see if anyone knows a panle beater/ painter or an apprentice one who might be able to do a cashie

Cheers mate. Havnt got one yet but im looking at these two
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 874839.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 569911.htm
dh_winner

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 6/Feb/09 12:47pm

dh_winner wrote:
pushbikerider wrote:

Cheers mate. Havnt got one yet but im looking at these two
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 874839.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 569911.htm

I'd buy the Hi-ace if it was my $$
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 6/Feb/09 12:51pm

What withe stereotyping of West Auckland...he typed from West Auckland.... :cool:

Generally a professional paintjob on a car is about $2-3k - but in the same colour and not doing inner areas - door jams, under bonnet etc.

Vans are bigger so would cost more...but if its a work type van and you're not so fussed on a perfect job you could get it for less. If you're changing the colour it would be best to do inside the doors and door jams (not a biggie).

As others have said - there may be someone you could find who'll do it for less. I know a guy who's painted Ferraris etc who'll do a topcoat for me for $3-400 (with buffing).

Also there are other variables - it may not need undercoating etc - just prepsol, sanding, masking and spraying.

Where are you getting your paint from? There are some cheap options there too.

I've painted about 40 cars (and a few motorbikes & bicycles).

The cheapest I did one was under $200 - but I got really good deals on the undercoat & topcoat and did all the work myself :)
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 6 years 0 months

Postby Spokes on Fri 6/Feb/09 1:00pm

Hiace for sure. Ive owned a lot of vans and Hiace was the best by a long way. Bit sus of the k's, ex-courier van with only 70ks?

Look up its wof and ruc history before buying. And I would just live with the yellow and I believe they are not allowed to sell there vans with signwriting still on.
Spokes

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 6/Feb/09 1:48pm

Look here for history for free; http://www.carjam.co.nz/
but this isn't always accurate.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 6 years 0 months

Postby Spokes on Fri 6/Feb/09 1:56pm

Wow just looked the Hiace up. No WOFs for 2 years??

Hope the site is wrong.
Spokes

Postby crazychris on Fri 6/Feb/09 1:57pm

My brother painted his mini with a 100mm brush and a tin of sky blue housepaint on a hot summer day. Final cost was < $10 (paint was old leftovers) and the finish was superb, as you would expect.
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby Spokes on Fri 6/Feb/09 2:07pm

crazychris wrote:My brother painted his mini with a 100mm brush and a tin of sky blue housepaint on a hot summer day. Final cost was < $10 (paint was old leftovers) and the finish was superb, as you would expect.

My Dad always says spraypainting is not as good as brush....
Spokes

Cars | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts