Re: What's Your Crappiest Cycle Commuting Experience?

Postby RJM on Tue 31/Mar/09 7:41am

crazychris wrote:
RJM wrote:
crazychris wrote:I think I managed to give someone else a crappy experience, or a training ride, whichever they prefer to call it. waffle waffle waffle

Hate to admit it but that is why I love MTBers on my commute, they are generally bigger (both them and their bikes) so are great to draft behind. :)

That would be me! I'm the biggest MTB'er I know (6'6", 107KG) and to create even more drag, sometimes I'm on a tandem - drafters love that! Always looks silly when we're barrelling down the road with a tail of roadies behind us. Lazy roadies!

Yep I'm a lazy roadie - although given the dangers of commuting on our roads I'd be happy to draft behind a 80 year woman on a mobility scooter (also unlike my fellow roadies if I have a problem - e.g. a flat - I notice it is always the MTBers who stop to give me a hand). :)
RJM
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby crazychris on Tue 31/Mar/09 8:33am

RJM wrote:
crazychris wrote:
RJM wrote:
crazychris wrote:I think I managed to give someone else a crappy experience, or a training ride, whichever they prefer to call it. waffle waffle waffle

Hate to admit it but that is why I love MTBers on my commute, they are generally bigger (both them and their bikes) so are great to draft behind. :)

That would be me! I'm the biggest MTB'er I know (6'6", 107KG) and to create even more drag, sometimes I'm on a tandem - drafters love that! Always looks silly when we're barrelling down the road with a tail of roadies behind us. Lazy roadies!

Yep I'm a lazy roadie - although given the dangers of commuting on our roads I'd be happy to draft behind a 80 year woman on a mobility scooter (also unlike my fellow roadies if I have a problem - e.g. a flat - I notice it is always the MTBers who stop to give me a hand). :)

Logan, who I tandem with, used to be a roadie, and I have converted him to the mud-side (MTB Tandem!!!!) and he is constantly amazed how often riders will stop and offer assistance on the MTB trails compared to the road.
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby Klarkash-ton on Tue 31/Mar/09 10:23am

not fair, I always render assistance. surprising how many people refuse help though.
Klarkash-ton
"I ride to support my eating habit"
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby Paul_Bags on Tue 31/Mar/09 7:04pm

RJM wrote:
Paul_Bags wrote:My worst experience: waking up to find my bikes been stolen from out of the backyard*. fuck. I bought a new bike on the way to work since I needed it to get home, back then I finished after all the buses had stopped running. Half way home I shift gears, and when I get to the downside of the hill I find my gear won't upshift again. I get off and take a look, the shift cables not nearly tight enough my solution til I get home is manually shift the thing, then hold down the shifter lever the rest of the way.

*In a decent neighborhood, very little garage space, and the backyard in completely walled. My flatmate was pretty awesome about it, he installed a bolt and padlock on the garage door while I was at work and tidied up some shit in there.

This sounds like an inside job ?

I suspect the neighbours, rowdy annoying bunch, but I have no proof. Doubt it was my flatmates, they're good people. Oh well, money comes, money goes.

So yeah. Today in the lovely cold wet shitty overcast weather on the way to work, I ran into another cyclist coming towards me on the cycleway. Literally. Moved to the left out of the way, couldn't see the edge of the concrete for all the cut grass, slide on said wet grass when I went off the edge of the concrete. Tried to correct since there was a wire fence (stakes-with-wire-through-it kind) on my left I didn't want bail onto, ended up in front of the poor guy I was trying to give room to. I really wish that cycleway was wider.
Never thought to exchange names or numbers until I was on my way again. We exchanged a few words, guy seemed ok and so did his bike. My face something through (I'm thinking the other guys helmet), and my bike certainly broke my fall, MTB handlebars looked kinda like road bars on one side and the saddle was squashed. Which was fun to ride the rest of the way to work, blood dribbling out my nose.
Last edited by Paul_Bags on Tue 31/Mar/09 7:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul_Bags
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Weevil on Tue 31/Mar/09 7:08pm

speaking of crappy commuting experiences not that this is really one but when I see cyclists towing little 'uns i really cringe. Not because of what they are doing (I think its great) but because there are so many retards driving cars in dunedin. I shudder at the thought of what could go wrong.
Weevil
"Spills for thrills baby!"
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby 98percentCAULIFLOUR on Tue 31/Mar/09 7:15pm

I once had a guy cut across me to get into a paralle park on my left, he didnt indicate, slow down or anything and my right foot and pedal got caught up in his rear left wheel arch, I was forced to just go with it. If he wasnt big and black and me scrawny and white I would had a few choice words to say!
98percentCAULIFLOUR
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby RJM on Thu 2/Apr/09 5:54am

98percentCAULIFLOUR wrote:I once had a guy cut across me to get into a paralle park on my left, he didnt indicate, slow down or anything and my right foot and pedal got caught up in his rear left wheel arch, I was forced to just go with it. If he wasnt big and black and me scrawny and white I would had a few choice words to say!

What did he say to you ?
RJM
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby frozen on Tue 7/Apr/09 4:09pm

I had to register since I figured Vorbers would like to hear about it, so this is post #1:

A few weeks back, I'd picked up a 5-day case of the runs that sent me home early from work one afternoon. Just before starting the climb up Brooklyn Hill, I felt the panic that says "get off the bike and out of view of the deeply religious and small children." So, I whip into Central Park, hop off the bike, run behind a tree, and let 'er rip.

Not quite the same as Bobke, but I'm glad there weren't any witnesses: http://www.bobroll.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=36
frozen
"It never gets easier, you just go faster."
Member for: 9 years 5 months

phunk
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby Oli on Tue 7/Apr/09 7:19pm

:D Great first post!
Oli
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby Weevil on Tue 7/Apr/09 7:28pm

rofl
Weevil
"Spills for thrills baby!"
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby Paul_Bags on Tue 7/Apr/09 8:28pm

and ride naked at 3 a.m. past your local police station with a Walkman duct-tapped to your left butt cheek, listening to "The Sound of Music."

...This I must do one day. One very, very hilarious and insane day. Except I must found a boombox and strap it to my carrier and wake up alll of my neighbours...
Paul_Bags

Postby FSR_Man on Tue 7/Apr/09 9:23pm

today i had a gay one for sure!

on my new bike that i have had for just under a week i was riding home and went through a set of lights as i do twice a day 5 days a week. however knowing the lights quite well i just went, but it turns out i was alittle to late in the light change. the car in the outside lane went and i was going!. it was an all out brawl between my front rim and the front wheel of the other car because my brakes were not going to stop me. my wheel lost. I believe the frame ( of which i was very nervous about being my first carbon bike) and the forks seem to be nice and solid still so thats all good. Im rather gutterd about it all but hopefully i can get it back up and running by monday at the latest.

i supose it serves me right!

anyone have any recomendations for a new rim thats nice and stiff and light. im thinking a no tubes ZTR or a DTswiss 4.2 ( for a 28hole hub)
FSR_Man
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby nostromo on Tue 7/Apr/09 9:31pm

Paul_Bags wrote:
and ride naked at 3 a.m. past your local police station with a Walkman duct-tapped to your left butt cheek, listening to "The Sound of Music."

...This I must do one day. One very, very hilarious and insane day. Except I must found a boombox and strap it to my carrier and wake up alll of my neighbours...

Many years ago when you could still buy the real thing, I dared my mate at school to ride with an ignited Bora Bomb on his bike carrier.
After quite a bit of nervous stalling we lit the thing and set off through one of the hoity parts of Khandallah, him pedalling for all he was worth on his Healing 10 speed and me trailing behind barely able to see for smoke and tears, it was pretty damn funny at the time.
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby Paul_Bags on Wed 8/Apr/09 9:39pm

To that fat kid in chch: if your going to pass me on the cycle path, could you please continue pedaling instead of coasting and taking up the whole path? Thank you. Also, it's nice to cross the road quickly when a truck wants to turn, especially when the guy you just passed and slowed down is up your arse trying to get past you.
Paul_Bags

Cycle Commuting | Cycling - Latest Posts