What do you think Bill's Budget will do?

Poll ended at Thu 28/May/09 8:26am

It will come down hard on beneficiaries
38%
It will come down hard on the tertiary sector
33%
It will majorly restructure health services
25%
It will significantly cull bits of the government sector
42%
It will "postpone" the promised tax cuts
71%
It will move towards privatising government agencies
46%
It will severely cut contributions to the Cullen Fund
50%
It will involve a lot of smoke and mirrors and achieve very little
46%
It will legalise marijuana - doubling the value of our agriculture exports overnight
8%
Nothing that will affect me so I don't care about it
No votes
I have no frigging idea - what Budget?
8%

Total voters : 24

What's Your Call On Bill's Budget?

Postby Tama on Wed 27/May/09 8:26am

Tomorrow Bill English is going to read his first budget: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politic ... dget-hopes

Considering we're facing the biggest financial crisis since the Great Depression and NZ Government debt is forecast to balloon out of control from a surplus of $3 billion to a deficit of $8 billion it seems pretty darn obvious that Bill is going to make some "tough calls".

But how tough will they be? Are we talking Ruth Richardson tough ("take off, nuke the poor from orbit - it's the only way to be sure") or more of a significant belt tightening? There has also been mutterings from Standard & Poor's about downgrading New Zealand's credit rating - but considering these are the tards which gave triple AAA credit ratings to toxic junk from America I feel a bit grumpy about such threats.

Your thoughts callers?
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Re: What's Your Call On Bill's Budget?

Postby Yogi on Wed 27/May/09 8:37am

It's National, they've got to screw the poor.... it wouldn't be right if they didn't. However, their $100 million insulation plan sounds good, especially as it won't be income related. This should have a greater effect on electricity savings for the country than giving it just to the low income earners who'll use as much electricity when insulated anyway, and will just be warmer/healthier/etc. But will $100 million over 4 years be enough?

Nothing like some tough love though :love:
Yogi
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby bigJIMMY on Wed 27/May/09 8:46am

i don't get the insulation plan. insulation in general i think is easy to install, and should be done yourself. but contractors must be used. I get this, since it is the easiest way to regulate the spending. but i think it will get alot of abuse by insulation contractors. If i wasn't already running my own business and swamped with things to do i would start up an insulation company tomorrow! even 5 of them just waiting for the money to start coming in.
bigJIMMY
"DID SOMEONE SAY ICE CREAM! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby bugle on Wed 27/May/09 8:51am

My disinterest knows no bounds
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Tama on Wed 27/May/09 8:56am

Yogi wrote:It's National, they've got to screw the poor.... it wouldn't be right if they didn't./quote]
I don't think it's as politically feasible to screw the poor as it was 2 years ago. I'm guessing the public perception goes something like this: Back then unemployment was as close to zero as it can get so beneficiaries were seen as fair game. But now lots of "hard working Kiwis" have found themselves on the breadline through "no fault of their own" putting the boot into the unemployed is harder to swallow for Joe and Josephine Average.

bigJIMMY wrote:i don't get the insulation plan.

I think it's great - New Zealand houses have always been woefully under insulated and this places significant costs our economy in terms of health care and absenteeism. Most of the houses which need the insulation the most are either rented or owned by lower income people who may not be able to stump up the couple of thousand needed to do a proper job.

Excellent fence at the top of a big expensive cliff I reckon :thumbsup:
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Yogi on Wed 27/May/09 8:56am

bigJIMMY wrote:i don't get the insulation plan. insulation in general i think is easy to install, and should be done yourself. but contractors must be used. I get this, since it is the easiest way to regulate the spending. but i think it will get alot of abuse by insulation contractors. If i wasn't already running my own business and swamped with things to do i would start up an insulation company tomorrow! even 5 of them just waiting for the money to start coming in.

True, you could screw the system.... however, my pensioner mother just had the Sustainability Trust here in Wellington come around (they do subsidised insulation and instillation). No way would she be able to install it herself, and she's too frugal to pay $1000's for it and i'd imagine there's lots of people in her position. Anyway, long story short, about $4000 worth of insulation they're doing for about $300. She'll be happier and warmer this winter.

People who can afford insulation but are too frugal/lazy/don't understand the benefits/just good old typical "don't know better kiwi's", this will hopefully be some sort of incentive to get their A into G. It'll benefit everyone as, warmer healthier communities are happier communities (and have more money to spend on junk they don't need.... or bikes).
Yogi

Postby Yogi on Wed 27/May/09 9:10am

Tama wrote:I don't think it's as politically feasible to screw the poor as it was 2 years ago. I'm guessing the public perception goes something like this: Back then unemployment was as close to zero as it can get so beneficiaries were seen as fair game. But now lots of "hard working Kiwis" have found themselves on the breadline through "no fault of their own" putting the boot into the unemployed is harder to swallow for Joe and Josephine Average.

You're right, i'm just a National hater. But there will still be a bit of boot put to those that never even made it to Joe and Josephine Average. They'll get them somehow, i feel it in my bones!
Yogi

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Wed 27/May/09 9:16am

Lots ofLots of money on a cycle route the length of NZ is my prediction. Spent at the rate of $2 each year. Starting with tarsealing a strip down the middle of ninety mile beach.
Last edited by BrokenKonaRider on Wed 27/May/09 8:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Wed 27/May/09 9:23am

Bill English is a wanker.
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby phunk on Wed 27/May/09 9:26am

Tama wrote:

I think it's great - New Zealand houses have always been woefully under insulated and this places significant costs our economy in terms of health care and absenteeism. Most of the houses which need the insulation the most are either rented or owned by lower income people who may not be able to stump up the couple of thousand needed to do a proper job.

I am a little pissed off that I paid for my own insulation and now am subsidising others, many of which may earn more than I.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby bigJIMMY on Wed 27/May/09 9:30am

Tama wrote:
Yogi wrote:It's National, they've got to screw the poor.... it wouldn't be right if they didn't./quote]
I don't think it's as politically feasible to screw the poor as it was 2 years ago. I'm guessing the public perception goes something like this: Back then unemployment was as close to zero as it can get so beneficiaries were seen as fair game. But now lots of "hard working Kiwis" have found themselves on the breadline through "no fault of their own" putting the boot into the unemployed is harder to swallow for Joe and Josephine Average.

you didn't read all my post. what i mean is the way they are talking of structuring it/ the plan in general. having it as an interest free loan that you have to pay back. I don't get it.
If your going to provide insulation incentives, then just do a 100% subside.
I like insulation, my home is already toasty warm!
Last edited by bigJIMMY on Wed 27/May/09 9:35am, edited 1 time in total.
bigJIMMY
"DID SOMEONE SAY ICE CREAM! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby happybaboon on Wed 27/May/09 9:34am

Would be silly to slap the beneficiaries around, what with the number of soon-to-be unemployed people around. I think they'll slash some spending and maybe fuck around with the Cullen fund a little bit. Possibly slash kiwisaver government topups ('cos no one's got a job now anyway).
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Oli on Wed 27/May/09 9:36am

phunk wrote:I am a little pissed off that I paid for my own insulation and now am subsidising others, many of which may earn more than I.

You're like the ultimate whinging taxpayer! :lol:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby ThingOne on Wed 27/May/09 9:40am

Whether you like the budget always just comes down to do you like the current govt.

Labour Voter: Think Budgets shit
National Voter: Think Budgets great
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby phunk on Wed 27/May/09 9:47am

Oli wrote:
phunk wrote:I am a little pissed off that I paid for my own insulation and now am subsidising others, many of which may earn more than I.

You're like the ultimate whinging taxpayer! :lol:

Pretty much.

I dont think the govt should do anything more than provide 'public goods' so I will complain about any spending/taxing that goes beyond that.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Economy | National Politics | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts