What's Whistler, Canada Like For Xc Tracks?

Postby LittleMissBikeRider on Tue 27/Jan/09 1:31pm

Has anyone been to Whistler MTB park in Canada? I'm looking at heading that way next July and wondering what the tracks are like for XC tracks?
LittleMissBikeRider
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Re: What's Whistler, Canada Like For Xc Tracks?

Postby wgtngrl on Tue 27/Jan/09 1:47pm

The park itself isn't an XC haven, but there are tonnes of trails in the vicinity. Lost lakes is a nice little area to warm up (don't bother with the green practically paved trails, but try riding everything else in both directions), and then there's some awesome trails all over the show. There was an article in the latest (I think) Spoke mag that talked about a few of them. I was only there for a couple of days, but enjoyed what I got to ride.
wgtngrl
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby gammmmo on Tue 27/Jan/09 1:48pm

I went to Whis in 2006. The bike park is almost exclusively DH oriented of varying ability - think technical XC style trail up to double blacks with mandatory drops/air etc. My impression is most people didn't go there for XC but there was a minority who went there focused on XC in our group that reported good things about a trial called Comfortably Numb (it was still very technical) and went on to do other trails but they tended to mix things up with the park as time went on. If you go there for a week or two, even in that time, your riding skill will go up a level or two (I was quite sceptical about that but it is true) and you''ll probably want to mix things up UNLESS you are specifically going there for XC and XC only, rather than because of a perceived difficulty level. Make no mistake the trails there were tougher than anywhere I've ever ridden - that includes USA, Alps, Spain, UK. A real eye-opener but the place is infectious. You will love it.
gammmmo

Postby jo on Tue 27/Jan/09 1:52pm

What wgtngrl said.
I rode lost lake as well, which was beautiful and had lots of nifty tricky fun xc stuff. I only rode there for an hour (til I saw a bear :0 and then my will to ride disappeared :huh: ) but it was cool, and I wouldnt hesitate to recommend it. And I'd also recommend hiring a bouncy bike for the park, it was ALOT of fun.
Also, some fun trails out of squamish if you can find them, chat to the local bike shop. :)
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby wgtngrl on Tue 27/Jan/09 1:56pm

Comfortably Numb - I was trying to think of the name, thanks Jo. That gets rave reviews from everyone but I was told it would take longer than I could afford to ride in the time I was there. I'm not convinced that was true after talking to other people - it's a must!

There are good maps you can get, and just explore with them. Even better if you can find some local xc'ers to guide you - or pay for guides...
wgtngrl

Postby LittleMissBikeRider on Tue 27/Jan/09 2:35pm

I currently ride a Hard Tail and compete in races like Karapoti, Vulcaniser, Crater Rim, Yahoo Challenge and ride the tracks up at Hanmer alot. I'm heading over to Colorado to do Single Track Colorado next year (well seriously looking at) and thinking about continuing up to Canada for a week afterwards. I have had in mind purchasing a light weight dual as I do enjoy technical descending, but not back-breaking drop offs :paranoid:
LittleMissBikeRider

Postby james on Tue 27/Jan/09 4:14pm

me and my partner went to whistler and hired stinkys for the hill (which is all DH / freeride) there are a few days full of riding around the valley and squamish if you know where to go also go up past whistler to Pemberton.

in terms of XC I would highly recommend doing this trip > http://www.sacredrides.com/tours/bc/rms/ or this one if you go to Utah http://www.sacredrides.com/tours/utah/
guided trips are much nicer than pissing around trying to find where the hell to go. and trying to get locals and shuttles every day for every track is a lot of hard work.
james
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Bigfoot on Tue 27/Jan/09 4:33pm

Right now, pretty crap.... ITS GOD DAMN SNOWING AGAIN :angry:
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby dhmachine on Wed 28/Jan/09 7:55am

Whistler is crap for riding.

Don't bother coming. There is only 200km's of singletrack in the Valley and Pemberton and Squamish only have a little bit less than that. The singletrack is technical and steep. It's too hard to ride without smiling. Utterly rubbish.

Oh, and if you want to ride DH, don't bother. The trails here are all too easy, well apart from the Garbanzo trails like In Deep and Goats Gully, but they too will get easy after the first ride in the wet.
You'll get bored with riding rollers and easy table tops. The berms make the trails too fast and easy. You will wear through 2 sets of brake pads in a season if you are overly cautious and the people here are too friendly too want to stay for too long.
I was sick and tired of seeing wildlife all the time. It really bugs me when I have to stop and watch deer eating grass in the sunshine, ten feet away. And the sound the Grouse make, sends me over the edge.
One last thing. The fact that you can get lost on some sinewy trail 5 mins out of town sucks. I mean, I want to see people and cars and you know, civilisation, when I ride. Having all these lakes and trees around freaks me out.

Good luck, I hope you enjoy this hellhole more than I do!

Mike
dhmachine
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby wgtngrl on Wed 28/Jan/09 9:19am

I vote: Post of the month :)

dhmachine wrote:Whistler is crap for riding.

Don't bother coming. There is only 200km's of singletrack in the Valley and Pemberton and Squamish only have a little bit less than that. The singletrack is technical and steep. It's too hard to ride without smiling. Utterly rubbish.

Oh, and if you want to ride DH, don't bother. The trails here are all too easy, well apart from the Garbanzo trails like In Deep and Goats Gully, but they too will get easy after the first ride in the wet.
You'll get bored with riding rollers and easy table tops. The berms make the trails too fast and easy. You will wear through 2 sets of brake pads in a season if you are overly cautious and the people here are too friendly too want to stay for too long.
I was sick and tired of seeing wildlife all the time. It really bugs me when I have to stop and watch deer eating grass in the sunshine, ten feet away. And the sound the Grouse make, sends me over the edge.
One last thing. The fact that you can get lost on some sinewy trail 5 mins out of town sucks. I mean, I want to see people and cars and you know, civilisation, when I ride. Having all these lakes and trees around freaks me out.

Good luck, I hope you enjoy this hellhole more than I do!

Mike
wgtngrl

Postby Kakapo on Wed 28/Jan/09 9:34am

Droool. :love:
Starting to save-up right now.
Kakapo
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby Bigfoot on Wed 28/Jan/09 9:35am

Maybe I should actually go riding there at some point... :paranoid:
Bigfoot

Postby dhmachine on Wed 28/Jan/09 10:43am

Bigfoot wrote:Maybe I should actually go riding there at some point... :paranoid:

Maybe. You aren't a real Canadian, are you?
dhmachine
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby Bigfoot on Wed 28/Jan/09 11:02am

I are too. :0
Bigfoot

Postby mtbrat on Wed 28/Jan/09 12:48pm

also keen to know about xc, epic, trail rides (and beginner xc rides) around Vancouver...

:)
mtbrat
"HUUUGE Tracts of land"
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Canada | Cycling | Mountain Biking | North America | Regions | Trail Riding - Latest Posts